Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A possible bug in Foxconn boards BIOS affects Linux ACPI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Foxconn deliberately sabotaging their BIOS to destroy Linux ACPI

I just tested Suspend and Resume (it worked properly and the logs appear clean).

Beans

IF this was done intentionally, it may not have been to directly "attack" desktop Linux. It could be that since the motherboard was designed for desktop PC's, the manufacturers of the PC/board/BIOS decided to limit it's potential use for server systems (which are often Linux), since they prefer to sell server class motherboards for that.

The above idea, if true, gives financial motivation.

Beans

That is just retarded, i messaged foxconn about this and i hope everyone else that reads this contacts them to tell them how retarded they are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Red face Re: Foxconn deliberately sabotaging their BIOS to destroy Linux ACPI

ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba.

ACPI establishes industry-standard interfaces enabling OS-directed configuration, power management, and thermal management of mobile, desktop, and server platforms.

http://www.acpi.info/

info@acpi.info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by viper2007 View Post
    That is just retarded, i messaged foxconn about this and i hope everyone else that reads this contacts them to tell them how retarded they are.
    Please do so, but also please do so with tact. There is little worse for the Linux community than overzealousness. That just gives people reasons not to bother.

Not wanting to support Linux is a perfectly acceptable business decision, even if we'd prefer differently. Foxconn's actions do look pretty suspicious though, since it seems they had to go out of their way to make the motherboard not work with Linux instead of just not supporting Linux.

So tell them how you feel, but please do so politely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I recently bought a mother board, I am glad it wasn't a foxconn although I was considering it; needless to say I am glad.

Whats up with all the Linux hate in this world, what did Linux ever do to foxconn.

Beans

HI

just to say as am from Foxconn, No we dont deliberately sabotage the bios
    Plus the person who replyed to the email did not understand Linux

but we will have the bios fix sometime next week and at the same time a relook at how we are testing are boards with linux.

since this board should have been tested.

please dont flame me

heAlmightyCthulhu am sending a message hope you will reply

thanks

UK Technical Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Interesting thread (though a lot of it was over my head). Maybe this is a stupid question, but how can I find out if any of my computers (Dell and Gateway) have a Foxconn mobo? Is there a physical logo or sticker, or do I need to boot up the computer and run some kind of command?
    Open a terminal enter "lshw" that should give you the motherboard type & manufacturer plus lots of other output.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunning View Post
    HI

just to say as am from Foxconn, No we dont deliberately sabotage the bios
    Plus the person who replyed to the email did not understand Linux

but we will have the bios fix sometime next week and at the same time a relook at how we are testing are boards with linux.

since this board should have been tested.

please dont flame me

heAlmightyCthulhu am sending a message hope you will reply

thanks

UK Technical Manager
    Sorry if you are from Foxconn, but this is quite unconvincing. Perhaps you should use proper English.
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.

Beans

See, enough press gets results. Not supporting Linux I can understand and that's acceptable, but when you're made aware of a problem with a product it should be fixed (in this case Linux was irrelevant, there was a bug in the boards ACPI implementation, that fact that it only showed up in Linux doesn't make it any less of a bug). I'm not convinced Foxconn did or didn't deliberately try to prevent Linux from working with their motherboard either.

@TheAlmightyCthulhu
    If they do follow through with this, make sure to update the BBB report you filed to show that they eventually did respond and fix the problem, even if it was only after a lot of pressure was exerted on them (more so than should have been necessary).

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast