Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mount error 13 = Permission denied

Beans

Re: mount error 13 = Permission denied

This is my entry in /etc/fstab

//192.168.2.10/pj /home/pj/balrog cifs uid=pj,credentials=/root/.smb-password-pj.txt,workgroup=CPH,iocharset=utf8,unicode 0 2

all on one line (!), as you can see we have a workgroup "CPH", i specify UFT-8 as charset

This works nicely and after I did this (see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ba/+bug/212019) :
    cd /etc/rc0.d
    # mv S31umountnfs.sh K15umountnfs.sh
    cd /etc/rc6.d
    # mv S31umountnfs.sh K15umountnfs.sh

shutdowns now goes through

/Per

Beans

Angry Re: mount error 13 = Permission denied

I also can not mount or browse the network, I installed samba package, smbfs, nts, cifs, ... it's ubuntu 8.04.1 v.5.3.1 DVD

I used the following commands:

sudo mount -t cifs //hostname/sharename /home/ubuntu/folder -o user=xxx,password=xxx

this will give me the mount error 13 permission denied

the other command I used is this:

sudo mount.nfs hostname:/sharename -v

this will give me an 'internal error' or somthing like that.

when I use nautilius to browse the network it shows the list of hostnames in a domain but when I double-click on a hostname to browse the shares the browser shows a blank content, nothing in it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try:

Code:
    sudo smbmount //hostname/sharename /home/ubuntu/folder
    You would probably be better off mounting your share in /media

Jim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Try:

Code:
    sudo smbmount //hostname/sharename /home/ubuntu/folder
    You would probably be better off mounting your share in /media

Jim

issueing that command also gives me this message:

"mount error 13 = Permission denied
    Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Have you tried checking for extra spaces or tabs at the end of the username and password? That solved the problem on my system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Carbonfusion View Post
    Have you tried checking for extra spaces or tabs at the end of the username and password? That solved the problem on my system.
    I have tried all combinations using the commands "smbmount" and "mount" with several file types as cifs, smbfs and nothing works.

Someone may ask, have you check the network configuration to see if it is setup properly?, well I just used the command line to ping the remote host by IP Address and by dns-hostname and they work fine, the replay was just what one expected. I used the terminal window and the network tools for it.

I am running Ubuntu in vmware, but that should not be the problem
    I tried mounted the remote share using NFS with the "mount.nfs" command:

root@ubuntu8041:/home/user# mount.nfs hostname:/sharename /home/user/test -v

I get this result:
    mount.nfs: timeout set for Mon Aug 25 19:16:19 2008
    mount.nfs: text-based options: 'addr=192.168.1.152'
    mount.nfs: internal error

I research about this NFS mount command and found out that there is an error which other users reported, and supposedly there is a lengthy fix for it at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+b...44/comments/23 which I followed very carefully but at the end I got the same result.

running out options here.

PS, I also have this problem with a KNOPPIX LIVE_CD.
    Last edited by rocketero2008; August 29th, 2008 at 01:10 AM. Reason: I have this problem also with knoppix livecd.

Beans

Cool Re: mount error 13 = Permission denied

I jut want to report that after a long research I finally found what the problem was

First of all I found out that it had nothing to do with Ubuntu, that was something that it took me out of track for a long while.

After researching posts on differents linux forums, and based on that knoppix livecd have the same problem, I realized that the problem resided somewhere else. this post game me some ideas: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-help-456024/ as I did some changes to the rc.local and created another bootfile in /etc/init.d folder, but nothing of that helped.

One of the things that kept me trying to find an answer was that from Windows Vista I could open Windows Explorer and see the Ubuntu Shares and even copy files from windows to Ubuntu.

So finally I realized that the windows vista computer that have the shares is part of a small network I have with windows server 2003, so I went to check the security policies on that server 2003 and find out that there is a GPO (group policiy Object) attached to the OU (organizational Unit) where the Windows Vista Computer is located.

So I edited that GPO. the security policies in particular that were affecting the mounting of the windows share in Ubuntu were one of the followings: (I disabled all of them to make sure so anyone reading this may play around with them):

on the GPO open: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies.

Disable the following setting:
    - Domain Member: Digitally Encript or Sign secure channel data (always)
    = I also disabled the "when Possible", same line as above, just to make sure but may work without disabling it
    - Microsoft Network client: Digital sign communications (always)
    - I also disabled the "if serves agree", same line as above, to make sure but may work without disabling it
    - last line I disabled or not configured was one that says: Network Security LAN Authentication Level wich can be setup to accept only NTLMv2 only with is more secure, but I set it as Not configured.

These can be found also in a computer that is not networked, just at the RUN command type MMC and from there open GROUP POLICY EDITOR.

Once I did those changes, I run the command: "gpupdate /force" at the windows vista computer, and rebooted the Ubuntu server and things work as a charm.
    Thanks to anyone who reply to this post and helped me solve this issue.
    Regards.
    Last edited by rocketero2008; August 29th, 2008 at 05:50 AM.

Beans

thanks rocketero that work as a charm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs up Re: mount error 13 = Permission denied

Quote Originally Posted by rocketero2008 View Post
    I jut want to report that after a long research I finally found what the problem was

First of all I found out that it had nothing to do with Ubuntu, that was something that it took me out of track for a long while.

After researching posts on differents linux forums, and based on that knoppix livecd have the same problem, I realized that the problem resided somewhere else. this post game me some ideas: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...e-help-456024/ as I did some changes to the rc.local and created another bootfile in /etc/init.d folder, but nothing of that helped.

One of the things that kept me trying to find an answer was that from Windows Vista I could open Windows Explorer and see the Ubuntu Shares and even copy files from windows to Ubuntu.

So finally I realized that the windows vista computer that have the shares is part of a small network I have with windows server 2003, so I went to check the security policies on that server 2003 and find out that there is a GPO (group policiy Object) attached to the OU (organizational Unit) where the Windows Vista Computer is located.

So I edited that GPO. the security policies in particular that were affecting the mounting of the windows share in Ubuntu were one of the followings: (I disabled all of them to make sure so anyone reading this may play around with them):

on the GPO open: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies.

Disable the following setting:
    - Domain Member: Digitally Encript or Sign secure channel data (always)
    = I also disabled the "when Possible", same line as above, just to make sure but may work without disabling it
    - Microsoft Network client: Digital sign communications (always)
    - I also disabled the "if serves agree", same line as above, to make sure but may work without disabling it
    - last line I disabled or not configured was one that says: Network Security LAN Authentication Level wich can be setup to accept only NTLMv2 only with is more secure, but I set it as Not configured.

These can be found also in a computer that is not networked, just at the RUN command type MMC and from there open GROUP POLICY EDITOR.

Once I did those changes, I run the command: "gpupdate /force" at the windows vista computer, and rebooted the Ubuntu server and things work as a charm.
    Thanks to anyone who reply to this post and helped me solve this issue.
    Regards.
    mate... thanks a lot. i had been struggling to access my DVD drive on Win vista from my Ubuntu. Your suggestions above worked like a charm. Great work !!

I changed only two options i.e. the ones that said "always" and left the others fine. As you suspected, it is not necessary for the access.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just wanted to throw this out there in case somebody else finds this thread. I had similar issues and for me it was because my account was locked out on the server, must've entered my pw wrong too many times or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast