Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

I had the initramfs problem booting the LiveUSB on eee and this fixed it:

On the menu screen, I pressed f6 to configure the kernel mode line and removed splash, quiet, persistent, and the one about using cdrom/usb.

Not sure which one fixed it, but it booted up fine after that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have fixed one of my machines' problems.

DVD: Ubuntu 8.10

Booting the text installer yielded a inability to find a cdrom drive. Although, it booted from the dvd.

The configuration of the hardware:

Ata0
    Master : IDE Harddrive
    Slave: NONE

Ata1
    Master : NONE
    Slave: IDE ATAPI DVD/RW drive

I switched the DVD-RW drive to master and the problems ceased.

I non-longer got the drop to the initramfs whatever...

So if your set up isn't normal you may experience problems.

My final problem is no keyboard. This may be a bios setting but I was happy to finally get the thing to boot the livecd/dvd

later

Beans

Hi All,
    I tried adding the PCI=nomsi and also IRQPOLL...but nothing seems to work. This was my first shot in my life ever installing the Ubuntu(or anyother distro's). Unfortunately it didnt go well with me. After reading ample of posts (from past 1day), I dont know what to do. All I get is a blank screen after the orange moves back and forth for a minute....
    Thanks in advance!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linux_maya View Post
    Hi All,
    I tried adding the PCI=nomsi and also IRQPOLL...but nothing seems to work. This was my first shot in my life ever installing the Ubuntu(or anyother distro's). Unfortunately it didnt go well with me. After reading ample of posts (from past 1day), I dont know what to do. All I get is a blank screen after the orange moves back and forth for a minute....
    Thanks in advance!
    next time start a new thread instead of replying to an old one. But I had the same problem and I couldn't fix it with anything just as you mentioned, but then I found I COULD install 7.1 gutsy gibson after the install you can upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.1 try downloading from here

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/

install this and post back here with any problems or let us know if it works please!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by granny6989 View Post
    I can't imagine why this post is shown as SOLVED.,....,..

I have had the same problem mostly mentioned in this post and others since trying to install 8.10 (Ibex). 8.04(Hardy) has worked fine for me, as far as drives are concerned. Basic low down is this:

ASUS M2N-SLI board, AMD 64 with built in IDE and SATA controller.
    2 IDE hard drives. 1 IDE CD drive. 1 SATA DVD drive.

When I use the live CD, or attempt an upgrade, etc.... to Ibex, i get: ((xx.xxx) = misc numbers)

(xx.xxx) ata 5: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
    ata 5: reset failed, giving up
    initramfs

This always happens after some little blurb about Busybox. I tried enabling the RAID option in BIOS for the SATA drive. No luck. For fun(?), last night I tried enabling RAID for all SATA drives, even though I have only one. Live CD finally booted up ok, got to the demo. Today I booted the CD, and installed. Seemed to go ok, so first thing I tried to enable Nvidia drivers. Machine tried to reboot, and then fell back to evil death loop of initramfs, etc, etc errors, blank screens, lockups, blank screens, etc, etc. login prompts... Finally hard booted and reloaded Hardy.

At this point, the RAID enabling option seems to be a faulty patch at best. It only worked for me after enabling several drives that didn't exist, and even then the system was unstable. After reading a lot of posts and pieces here and there, it looks to be an issue if you have mixed IDE/SATA setups. But that is only a guess on my part. I am going to keep Hardy until Ubuntu can prove that some fix has been made on this, Ibex so far will not work on my machine. I'd like to think that each version will get better, and perhaps it has in some respects, but this is ridiculous, if you expect a new user to grab a disk and install it, and then say 'well, you just have to go into BIOS and lie to your PC that it has RAID drives..'. It really is a bit much for a lot of people who just want to try something different or new. I don't know enough about programming and configuration to fix it or add anything else right now.

I am going to launchpad to post a bug to them in hopes of seeing some fix in the near future. Linux is still better than, well,...., you know.

S*

I'm having the same problem here where is the cure in this form?

Beans

I believe this bug report (open since dapper) is relevant:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ols/+bug/47768

It was pretty dormant until last month when someone assigned it to the canonical kernel team and marked it critical. Looking at this thread I don't know how many people would have just walked away from Ubuntu in the meantime, so I'm glad it's become a priority.

So let them know what fails and what fixes don't work and hopefully before too long this problem will finally be put to rest.

Beans

Hello, I thought I'd add my findings here for the benefit of others rather than the hope of a solution (if 39 pages of posts don't convince Canonical there is a problem then I don't know what will )

I have just taken delivery of a core i7 machine based on the ASUS P6T-Deluxe motherboard. It only has SATA devices connected.

I can successfully install Jaunty from the alternate CD without issue. However, I have dependencies (OpenVZ) that require Hardy.

I can not get the Hardy alternate CD to work beyond detecting the CD-ROM (no common cd-rom drive found). Adding all_generic_ide made no difference.

However, I have successfully installed the from Hardy Desktop CD by using the all_generic_ide (it did not work without it). I had to make no changes to Grub - it booted successfully first time.

My BIOS is set to IDE mode. I had even less success with AHCI mode.

So, not all CDs are created equal: for me the desktop CD worked but the internal CD did not.

I really would prefer to use the alternate CD because I want to build upwards from a clean "command line system" with only the components I need - so I am still very interested in a solution to this problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I managed to fix my busybox problem by installing an CD/DVD-ROM from LiteOn and its very noisy but gets the job done.Its plugged in same place as my other CD/DVD-ROM but does the magic i want it to do.
    Just so you know.

Beans

Hmmm - if the problem is fixed i'd like to know where to find the fixed version.

I downloaded the USB image of Ubuntu+netbook remix, copied it to a 2Gb stick using Win32DiskImager and booted it on my AAO.

I'm stuck at the (initramfs) prompt too. I would of have thought an AAO would have been one of the first machines the image was tried on - not, apparently, the last.

Since I'm fresh out of RAID support on my AAO what have others tinkered with to make this work?

Peter

Beans

I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5 with Windows XP installed from the factory.
    I really want to get online using Ubuntu, but have had no luck getting the Ubuntu Network Manager to recognize the 3G modem.
    I've installed UNR 9.04 (beta) alongside WinXP.
    I downloaded UNR daily build (karmic koala) last night, used Ubuntu ImageWriter to install the IMG to my bootable USB flash drive.
    I tried to boot from the USB, and got as far as the busybox + initramfs prompt.
    What now?
    I was hoping that the latest daily build would fix my connectivity issue.
    Thank you.

Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast