Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Hello,

I try to install the graphic acceleration with Ubuntu 9.04 on a system which has the same configuration (Intel Atom + Poulsbo).

I have installed the differents lib and bin :
    - Kernel DRM module (psb.ko)
    - GPU firmware (msvdx_fw.bin)
    - Xorg driver (psb_drv.so)
    - Xorg driver binary blob (Xpsb.so)
    - DRI interface (dri_psb.so)
    - Hardware video decode interface (psb_drv_video.so)
    - Valib aka vaapi (libva.so)
    - libDRM (libdrm.so)

This is the result of glxinfo :
    name of display: :0.0
    libGL: XF86DRIGetClientDriverName: 0.1.0 psb (screen 0)
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/tls/psb_dri.so
    libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/dri/psb_dri.so
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID PCI:0:2:0
    drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
    drmOpenDevice: open result is 4, (OK)
    drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 4
    drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
    libGL error:
    Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
    libGL error:
    Can't open configuration file /home/innes/.drirc: No such file or directory.
    do_wait: drmWaitVBlank returned -1, IRQs don't seem to be working correctly.
    Try adjusting the vblank_mode configuration parameter.
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: SGI
    server glx version string: 1.2
    server glx extensions:
    client glx vendor string: SGI
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:
    GLX version: 1.2
    GLX extensions:
    OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) GMA500 20081116 - 5.0.1.0046 x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.0 Mesa 7.4
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.10

I think I have a problem with the function drmWaitVBlank.
    If someone has the solution to repair this function, I want it.

Thanks, nicolas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sirjeppe View Post
    This thread is kind of a mess unfortunately ... It has helped me a bit but I haven't managed to get it to work when trying out all different tips and trix

I got as far as getting VESA drivers to work in 8.04 I think but I still couldn't watch movies in full screen which probably is expected though. But I don't want 8.04 and people seems to get 9.04 to work as well.

Do someone have clear (and structured) steps on how to get as much as possible to work in 9.04? I have just made a fresh install of Jaunty (i386) and I'm wondering what to do next.

There is talk about this Hardy lpia unr version which I haven't been able to find anywhere The instructions in the wiki page in post no. 2 refers to this one so they don't help me I guess.

Please help me. I just had to reinstall Windows (dual boot) just to be able to watch movies and series with good quality (and in full screen). I would really appreciate any kind of help to get me rolling.

Thank you!
    my ubuntu is working well, fullscreen and compiz and also suspend as well.
    please take a look to my last posts at pages 76 more or less.
    sorry for not having the time to explain again and cloosely look at to updates but my life is a little mess at the moment. just one thing: follow my instructions exactly as explained.

I wish you success.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pachistano View Post
    my ubuntu is working well, fullscreen and compiz and also suspend as well.
    please take a look to my last posts at pages 76 more or less.
    referring to pages isn't effective as the number of posts/page is settable. i think that you are referring to your post 648 and the followup 665. both much appreciated, tho i have tried it myself.

8.04 hardy works pretty well for me, the occasional crash and problems with youTube being the only gotchas. i seem to be be stuck with this old firefox and surmise that that i need to update the OS to move to the more recent firefox.

not a Dell Mini specific question, but is the recommended process to first install on an USB stick before migrating the upgraded OS to my (not partitioned) hard drive? if so, i'd appreciate a pointer as to how to do that.

also, is it possible to boot from sdcard? or is USB the only option (besides the hard drive, duh) for that? asking because i also should really get around to creating a recovery 'image' and i have lotsa sdcards but only a few USB sticks. is 2GB the right size for this?
    ______Ron

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Interesting piece about much improved GMA 500 performance under Moblin Linux.

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/qu...lin-linux.html

Most netbooks released over the past year have shipped with Intel Atom N270/N280 processors and GMA 950 graphics. But a handful use a different chipset designed to provide longer battery life and enhanced graphics performance. While the Intel Atom Z520/Z530 processors are noticeably more sluggish than their N2xx counterparts, the GMA 500 graphics chipset shows some promise, and some netbooks with this chipset even include HDMI ports to output HD video to an external display.

And things are starting to look even brighter for the GMA 500 chipset. This week at a Mobile Dev Camp event in Germany, Martin Mohring from the Linux Foundation demonstrated several mobile devices playing HD video and graphically intensive video games including Quake III. Probably the most impressive demo showed an MSI Wind U115 with an Atom Z530 processor and GMA 500 graphics running Quake III in HD resolutions on an external display at about 35 frames per second.

For the demo, the netbook was running Moblin Linux. As far as I know, the Windows drivers for this chipset won’t allow this kind of performance.
    Last edited by greggh; November 2nd, 2009 at 05:37 AM.

Beans

i've since answered a few of my own questions so thought to post the answers here.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronewolf View Post
    i seem to be be stuck with this old firefox and surmise that that i need to update the OS to move to the more recent firefox.
    despite posts elsewhere that FF should not be upgraded without a corresponding OS upgrade, the good folks at Ubuntuzilla provide a well put together utility for both updating FF as well as keeping it updated.

also, is it possible to boot from sdcard?
    ah, sdcards appear as USB devices. is this always the case with netbooks? anyway, nice feature and i was successful in installing an image to an sdcard using unnetbootin. couldn't get the usb boot creator utility that came with 8.04 to work.

is the recommended process to first install on an USB stick before migrating the upgraded OS to my (not partitioned) hard drive? if so, i'd appreciate a pointer as to how to do that.
    so using unnetbootin i was able to get a working 9.04 on my sdcard. as i started with an .iso, this version has none of my customizations. so i'm left with two questions. 1) how to get the sdcard based OS to reflect the customizations (.conf file changes, installed/removed apps, etc). and then, once i have the system that i want and see that its working well, how do i copy that back to my hard drive?
    ______Ron

Beans

How can I install both Ubuntu and XP on my Mini 12? It came with XP, but I installed Hardy on it using the instructions on post #94 in this thread.

Is it possible for me to have both XP and Jaunty? How do I do this? Please keep in mind that I am a total Ubuntu newbie who is equally clueless about windows. I'm a Mac guy.

I have no problem wiping this HD out and starting from scratch here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
    How can I install both Ubuntu and XP on my Mini 12? It came with XP, but I installed Hardy on it using the instructions on post #94 in this thread.

Is it possible for me to have both XP and Jaunty? How do I do this? Please keep in mind that I am a total Ubuntu newbie who is equally clueless about windows. I'm a Mac guy.

I have no problem wiping this HD out and starting from scratch here.
    Well, the basic procedure is the same for Mac, Windows and Linux. To install XP, you need to create an NTFS partition, and then install the way you would on any computer. I suggest reading up on the concept of dual booting just to get more familiar with it.
    http://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&...dows+dual+boot

Beans

Hi guys. Im just discovered that the brightness can be set by FN keys.
    all that you need to make FN+F9 and FN+F10 keys work on your mini 12 in Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 is just edit your /etc/default/grub and make kernel line look like this:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor acpi_skip_timer_override"
    then you need
    # update-grub
    and reboot your system.
    nolapic allows to use dell smbios for changing backlight (brightness) in grub.
    acpi_backlight=vendor allows to use your vendor's backlight system instead of default video.
    I dont know why this settings are not default in Karmic. Hope you like your new FN-F9 & FN-F10 keys in 9.10
    acpi_skip_timer_override is dell acpi specific. this make small freezes disappear from usplash.

UPDATED
    Last edited by sol1tude; February 23rd, 2010 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

Last edited by sol1tude; February 23rd, 2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: tested video

Beans

Cool Re: Installing on the Dell Mini 12

Ok, I'm sorry guys and girls, these is going to seem crass, but is there a simple guide/post/wiki article/whatever I can follow to update a Dell Mini 12 from stock Dell "Belmont" Ubuntu hardy 8.04 to karmic 9.10?
    I'd like to update, and not reinstall, but that sounds complicated. (You're not supposed to update straight from 8.04 to 9.10, and I'm not sure I can incrementally update since the only 8.10 image I've seen is a UNR for MIDs).

I've been scouting around for quite some time now, and I'm starting to wonder if it's even worth the hassle to update, as it is my Mum's computer and she's not adamant about getting a more up to date version (though a new version of Network Manager and Firefox would be good).

I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere, but I don't have the courage to read through it all.

Anyone can point me to a clear set of instructions?
    I'm not asking for something simple, just something clear.

Thanks a lot everyone!

Page 83 of 86 FirstFirst ... 33738182838485 ... LastLast