Use these commands:

sudo stop gdm
    sudo apt-get purge gdm
    sudo apt-get install wdm
    sudo reboot now

Beans

Re: Fixed on my machine!

Quote Originally Posted by bitter_mike View Post
    Ok, so good news and bad news. Good news: I got this fixed on my computer. Bad news: its a pain in the ***. Here's how I did it:

[...]

This did the trick for me. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Login Loop

I have tried all of the above solutions but with no luck. My Ubuntu 10.04 is installed on a Asus P4VM800 BIOS 1.60 with VIA on-board VGA with 32MB vRAM. P4 3G. Ubuntu 9.10 was working perfectly until I upgrade to 10.04 and it just stays in the login screen. I thought it might be the upgrade was not successful so I reinstalled 10.04 freshly but it was the same. Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Beans

I'm having the same problem. Get to login, enter info, login comes back up. EXTREMELY frustrating.

I am able to get to the desktop by using failsafe graphics. Once there I have no idea what to do to fix it. I can't use the TTY login because I get an error saying "device cant enter state" or something like that. I'm on an Averatec 3700 laptop if that makes any difference.

EDIT: also, is the reason I can't go above 800x600 res because I'm in failsafe graphics or is that an additional problem? I believe I've had video driver issues with this laptop and ubuntu before but not sure.
    Last edited by Amerikaner; May 12th, 2010 at 03:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had to reinstall Lucid and (try this if you can log into recovery/rescue mode) turn off the log in requirement (under Preferences or Administration I think).

This means you will have to log into your keyring each time but now I have Lucid working I do not want to risk turning my 'login screen' back on a blocking access again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AJH101 View Post
    I had to reinstall Lucid and (try this if you can log into recovery/rescue mode) turn off the log in requirement (under Preferences or Administration I think).

This means you will have to log into your keyring each time but now I have Lucid working I do not want to risk turning my 'login screen' back on a blocking access again!
    Doesn't work for me. It does the automatic login right back into the login. I'm thinking its a video issue for me because the login prompt shows up in the lower right of the screen as if the resolution is wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cato58 View Post
    This is how I fixed this problem on my computer:

During the boot up, hit ctrl-alt-F1 for a tty login

Use these commands:

sudo stop gdm
    sudo apt-get purge gdm
    sudo apt-get install wdm
    sudo reboot now
    Thank you, fixed the problem for me as well.

Beans

I tried the above fix in the terminal. After the purge command it said it needed to refresh the video settings or something similar to that and then I couldn't get back. I don't know how to install wdm from the basic command prompt especially since I don't know how to login to my network connection from there. Help? Is it possible to do the above and just not do the purge command?

EDIT: I reformatted and tried doing purge after i installed wdm. wdm installed fine apparently and i chose it as the default. I still get the login loop. Someone's gotta know how to fix this. Help a noob out?
    Last edited by Amerikaner; May 17th, 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Amerikaner View Post
    Doesn't work for me. It does the automatic login right back into the login. I'm thinking its a video issue for me because the login prompt shows up in the lower right of the screen as if the resolution is wrong.
    Did you have any luck fixing that issue? I am having the same problems, and I can not access the terminal.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theiLLziLLa View Post
    Did you have any luck fixing that issue? I am having the same problems, and I can not access the terminal.
    Unfortunately no. I'll be sure to post here if I fix it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast