Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

Beans

Re: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Linux users, like Windows users, should uninstall one OEM's driver before installing the other OEM's driver. There is no surprise in that.

15.10 != 16.04. Again, 16.04-will use either Radeon or AMDGPU as it determines based on which is supported by the hardware. Fglrx is not included, so there is no additional driver to display.

You have two completely different questions here:

How do I uninstall the NVIDIA driver?

Is there another choice of drivers for AMD?
    Well my original question was how to get amd proprietary drivers for my system a system which was previously running nvidia drivers.
    I had this question because from my experience on windows it is never that easy to change vendors.
    So with that knowledge and knowledge that amd drivers under linux is a freak show i thought that i should have asked this question to more experienced users.
    So if there isn't amd drivers for 16.04 and it automatically reverts to open-source drivers then there is nothing i can do.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

@ Chelidze please use the Attachment option to post big Images it helps others that have low bandwidth or visually impaired.
    Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    @ Chelidze please use the Attachment option to post big Images it helps others that have low bandwidth or visually impaired.
    Thanks
    Never!!!!!!! Sure sorry about that, "visually impaired" are you serious about this or just joking if you are serious i really feel bad about this, i apologize.

Well found this article that supports this forums users statements, so there isn't any amd proprietary driver for 16.04 So guess everything is ok, if you can call using bad drivers inferior version even though i give up about this i can't call this problem solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The "inferior" AMDGPU driver, even without the AMDGPU-Pro overlay, demonstrates performance superior to fglrx on my R9 380X.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The "inferior" AMDGPU driver, even without the AMDGPU-Pro overlay, demonstrates performance superior to fglrx on my R9 380X.
    Well if you look at this benchmark proprietary drivers are still mostly outperforming the open source drivers but it is good to know that they aren't as bad as i originally was lat to believe

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    Well if you look at this benchmark proprietary drivers are still mostly outperforming the open source drivers but it is good to know that they aren't as bad as i originally was lat to believe
    that benchmark is form march. AMD is involved in development of AMDGPU and the aim is to have as good as fglrx or better by the second half of the year.onyl new GPU's are supported by this driver and older moved to legacy so fo rthem only the radeonHD driver where AMD was only slightly involved is the option.

AMDGPU will probably move with fast pace development, since AMD wants to support Linux and there wont' be any closed soruce drivers anymore.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    that benchmark is form march. AMD is involved in development of AMDGPU and the aim is to have as good as fglrx or better by the second half of the year.onyl new GPU's are supported by this driver and older moved to legacy so fo rthem only the radeonHD driver where AMD was only slightly involved is the option.

AMDGPU will probably move with fast pace development, since AMD wants to support Linux and there wont' be any closed soruce drivers anymore.
    Well if amd is getting rid of proprietary drivers and making open-source drivers as good or better then that sounds fantastic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

To avoid confusion.

On Ubuntu the way to replace video adapters, especially if we are changing manufacturers, is to use Additional Drivers to revert to an open source video driver before replacing the video card. Then to remove the old driver (which may not support a newer video card even if it is by the same manufacturer) we run autoremove or the purge command.

Removing the proprietary video driver is not absolutely necessary. The driver is not activated/installed. It is just taking up space on the hard disk. Nothing more than that.

If we fail to revert to using an open source video driver before changing video adapters then Linux/Ubuntu will often come to our rescue by loading with an open source video driver called llvmpipe. The main purpose of llvmpipe is to give the user an approximation of Unity 3D on video adapters that are not capable of running Unity 3D. But it is also used as a fall back video driver if there are video driver conflicts.

Then if we want to use a proprietary video driver we install one through Additional Drivers. Installing a proprietary video driver will download software from the internet. Uninstalling a proprietary video driver will not delete or remove the software of the driver from the hard drive. If that was done and we want to try the proprietary driver again it would have to be downloaded again.

It just so happens that AMD is not providing proprietary video drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 at this time because Ubuntu 16.04 is using a version of the X server that the AMD proprietary video drivers are not compatible with. And AMD does not want to do the work to bring compliance. Perhaps they are thinking that X server is going the way of the Dodo and it is better to have open source video drivers that are compatible with future Linux display servers and where Linux community developers can participate in development work.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    To avoid confusion.

On Ubuntu the way to replace video adapters, especially if we are changing manufacturers, is to use Additional Drivers to revert to an open source video driver before replacing the video card. Then to remove the old driver (which may not support a newer video card even if it is by the same manufacturer) we run autoremove or the purge command.

Removing the proprietary video driver is not absolutely necessary. The driver is not activated/installed. It is just taking up space on the hard disk. Nothing more than that.

If we fail to revert to using an open source video driver before changing video adapters then Linux/Ubuntu will often come to our rescue by loading with an open source video driver called llvmpipe. The main purpose of llvmpipe is to give the user an approximation of Unity 3D on video adapters that are not capable of running Unity 3D. But it is also used as a fall back video driver if there are video driver conflicts.

Then if we want to use a proprietary video driver we install one through Additional Drivers. Installing a proprietary video driver will download software from the internet. Uninstalling a proprietary video driver will not delete or remove the software of the driver from the hard drive. If that was done and we want to try the proprietary driver again it would have to be downloaded again.

It just so happens that AMD is not providing proprietary video drivers for Ubuntu 16.04 at this time because Ubuntu 16.04 is using a version of the X server that the AMD proprietary video drivers are not compatible with. And AMD does not want to do the work to bring compliance. Perhaps they are thinking that X server is going the way of the Dodo and it is better to have open source video drivers that are compatible with future Linux display servers and where Linux community developers can participate in development work.

Regards

Thank you very much for providing detailed explanation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12