Thread: No sound in flash? Try this.

Beans

Re: No sound in flash? Try this.

Another Thkx - worked great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

For 64-bit Ubuntu users who still have no sound in Flash after trying all the aforementioned solutions, it may prove worthwhile to visit www.alsa-project.org & download & install the newest:

alsa-driver-1.0.16
    alsa-lib-1.0.16
    alsa-firmware-1.0.16.

For anyone uncertain on how to do this, it's just a matter of extracting the downloaded files either graphically by right clicking on the file and choosing extract, or in the terminal by typing:

Code:
    tar -jxvf alsa-driver-1.0.16.tar.bz2
    Once the files are extracted, change to the appropriate folder, there'll be 3 in this case for the driver, lib & firmware, and start by doing

Code:
    sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    This will update your alsa firmware, drivers and libraries. Also, I tried another solution, which did not work prior to doing this update, but as I now have sound for flash in 64-bit Ubuntu, I may as well include it. Edit your firefoxrc file by doing:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
    and edit the line that says

Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP=""
    to
    Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
    Again, I'm not sure this is actually helping, but as it worked for my setup, it may as well be mentioned.

Then, in Menu/Preferences/Sound, choose autodetect or manually select your soundcard and reboot.

Hopefully, you may now have sound working in Flash. If you don't, keep searching Google, because I tried every other solution available and this was the only one that worked for me, so I'm not certain I can offer further advice, but I hope this works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

As an update to my previous post above, after updating the ALSA components as mentioned, I now have 2 choices for Device in Sound/Preferences. Interestingly, when I select the ALSA mixer, I get sound in all other applications but not flash & when I select the OSS mixer, I get sound in flash and all other applications except for view mpegs etc in MPlayer.

This is not so bothersome for me, and as I don't use flash all that much, I'm happy to manually switch whenever it suits my needs, that's the price you pay for using 64-bit. However, I'm not much of a hacker, but I'm quite certain these preferences could be automatically switched somehow when FireFox or Mplayer are loaded.

If I find a solution to this, I'll post it ASAP.

Cheers, sorry for the dual posts.

Beans

Hi,
    I had a similar problem and all the fixes I found wouldn't work for me. In the end a not very smart but easy solution worked!

I didn't have any problems with the sound in Flash until I messed around different audio plugins to listen to online radio stations.

Next day I start the laptop and there's no sound any more in Flash videos. Rhythmbox and VLC media player were fine.

I uninstalled all the real media, windows media and gstreamer plugins I had installed (gstreamer "bad" being one of them, the only one I remember because of the funny name). It still didn't work. Then I uninstalled Totem Video Player and voila! I could play Flash movies with sound!

I had to install also gstreamer "ugly" later for my music player to work too, and thatś it.

Hope this helps anybody,

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have another solution to this, I have Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 installed and found another way to fix the no sound problem.

1. System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    2. Search: pulseaudio
    3. Check the box of libflashsupport
    4. Apply

You may or may not restart Firefox, enjoy.

Beans

Thanx man. Cheers

Worked perfectly after rebbot. Recommended!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No problem, I am a newbie also so I am just trying to help out lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wink Re: No sound in flash? Try this.

Quote Originally Posted by cim View Post
    I have another solution to this, I have Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 installed and found another way to fix the no sound problem.

1. System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
    2. Search: pulseaudio
    3. Check the box of libflashsupport
    4. Apply

You may or may not restart Firefox, enjoy.
    Great! This trick fixed my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 sound problem!

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You are welcomed! =]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

For Hardy users, this guide is obsolete. With the inclusion of PulseAudio, Flash has some issues that are not yet resolved officially, but my guide gives a "preview" of official fixes. Please see my guide here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast