Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SPDIF in Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: SPDIF in Hardy

I have a mobo with onboard Nvidia 7100 and ALC889a sound. Everything works fine but I can't get any sound out of the HDMI. I have the latest Nvidia driver and the latest Alsa-driver-1.0.18rc1. I've tried anything that I can think of and still nothing. When I type "aplay -l" i just get NvidiaHDA 882 Analog and Digital - no HDMI. Also after I installed the latest Alsa in the alsamixergui i see the sound card as ALC885 but in aplay -l its 882. The chip it's actually ALC889a.

Can I edit some file or something to enable the HDMI sound? Video part in the HDMI works fine.

Please give me some ideas.

Beans

Nvidia doesn't support sound via HDMI on linux yet, probably never will

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm also having problems and not sure where to start. I've got SPDIF on my motherboard and also on a Chaintech PCI sound card.

deemar@chugger:/usr/bin$ aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC958]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    card 2: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 0: ICE1724 [ICE1724]
    card 2: AV710 [Chaintech AV-710], device 1: IEC1724 IEC958 [IEC1724 IEC958]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Should I make a new thread for more exposure?

Beans

My problem is that my HDMI device is not even recognize by the aplay -l. Here my reply to this thread at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97993

I install the 173.14.12 driver on my ASUS G1S(with ubuntu gutsy) that has a 8600m GT and one of the "Realtek High Definition Audio" kind of sound card, that is detected as a HDA-intel by the ALSA drivers. So, after I got the 173... driver working I went to the Volume control as "dementor" said, looking for an added device like the one he said, but I found jack ****.

Looking at Preferences I found a Digital thing to select, but it was added to a Recording tab, it didn't do any good.

But now, my TV is blocking the analog sound so, probably the HDMI output is sending some sort of audio signal to my TV.

My aplay -l output doesn't show any sign of digital device or HDMI or S/PDIF:

card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC660-VD Analog [ALC660-VD Analog]
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]

I build the ALSA packages I tried every possibility that I could think of. It seems like I have no digital audio on my computer at all (HDMI sound works flawlessly on windows). The only thing that mentions digital audio was the "aplay -L" command:

iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

So, I google about this iec958 and the only thing that I find is that you have to unmute it and set volume to zero to make S/PDIF work, but I don't even have this "iec958" showing in alsamixer or "Volume Control".

If somebody have a ASUS G1S and made HDMI audio work, please, post here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by devguy View Post
    Anyways, I'm using a Gigabyte 790FX motherboard with an ALC889A sound card. For whatever reason, it is recognized as an ALC882 (as you can see above). Is there anyway to get DTS:Connect to work in Linux? I've tried using the Realtek drivers twice, and on both occasions, they completely hosed my install, forcing me to reinstall.

Thanks to this person for helping me out.
    The new 8.9 driver from ati has HDMI audio output support for some cards:

Release notes for 8.9

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._89_linux.html

Have you noticed any crashes when moving streams from the digital output device?
    I am wondering because this was reported in the pulseaudio ticket.

You have written very clear and complete directions for doing this. I have had a link to the pa ticket for a while in my guide here. I will be linking this thread into the digital output section.

Thank You,
    Mark

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843012
    Last edited by markbuntu; October 1st, 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I know this may not help but after fighting SPDIF issues with Hardy for about 2 weeks I gave up. Last weekend I installed Gutsy and sound was working via SPDIF instantly.

I have an Asus Motherboard with the "Realtek High Definition Audio" onboard sound. Actually I did get the SPDIF working for multichannel audio by adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
    Code:
    "option snd-hda-intel model="3jack-dig"
    I also had to add to ~/.asoundrc :
    Code:
    pcm.!spdif {
         type hw
         card 0
         device 1
    }
    With that I could get multi-channel audio via spdif in mplayer. Stereo sound however would not work. Also I would have to manually unmute the primary and ICH985 channels in the mixer afte r every boot. Alsamixer would throw and error so I had to use the mixer in Gnome, alsactl store woudld also throw an error preventing me from storing the alsa settings.

I believe that the problem is with pulse audio, unfortunately uninstalling Pulse Audio proved even more troublesome.

I had Gutsy up and running in 30 minutes or so with audio working as it should, I'm sticking with that for now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RawMustard View Post
    Nvidia doesn't support sound via HDMI on linux yet, probably never will
    It does work, at least for some systems.

Here, some people confirm that hdmi sound worked. After the update to 173.14.12 and then 177.78 that i did to my system, the TV start blocking the analog sound that come from the headphone jack, but I still got no hdmi sound, it seems for me that this is an issue with my Asus G1S notebook with linux+nvidia, the people who report that hdmi sound work are desktop users.

Beans

Finally, I did, I made hdmi sound work on my asus g1s.

Now my aplay -l shows a digital device:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC660-VD Analog [ALC660-VD Analog]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC660-VD Digital [ALC660-VD Digital]
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
    I made it work by going to this file "/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base":
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base
    then I delete all the contents of that file and put this:
    options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=3stack-660-digout
    at "model" you have to put one that is made for your hardware, look here for a complete list of models available.

Then I use alsamixer to unmuted the IEC958.

Now, I have crisp sound on Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Re: SPDIF in Hardy

Has anyone tried the above posted solution with Intrepid?

I have been trying to get digital sound to work for some time now. I can get it to work for music by selecting iec958 for everything under Preferences -> Sound; but even after that I get no sound through Firefox or Flash apps. Furthermore I have actually never heard the startup sound!

Edit: I am referring to the first mentioned solution, although I am curious if any other solution would work as well. Please just be specific in a response so I know which of the above solutions work, if any.
    Last edited by dryphi; January 17th, 2009 at 02:39 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast