Thread: Problem with desktop effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question Problem with desktop effects

Hi All,

I've installed Ubuntu 9.04 on my Acer Aspire 5633WMLI laptop and Visual Effects (set to 'Extra') and compiz effects (like the desktop cube and rotation) all worked great. After connecting a external monitor however, the Visual Effects is now set to 'None', compiz effects don't work anymore and I cannot enable these anymore. When I try enabling the Visual effects I get a pop-up with the notion "Desktop effects could not be enabled". Disconnecting the monitor and restarting the laptop doesn't make a difference: all effects are disabled and stay that way. Working without the effects makes gnome much less user friendly, scrolling through (web)pages is now quite a shocky experience, not great to work with.

When the external monitor is connected, xorg.conf looks like this:

Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Virtual	2560 1024
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Since the effects do work fine with one monitor, I don't think this is a hardware limitation, but correct me if I'm wrong .

So my question is: how to re-enable the desktop effects, preferably also when the external monitor is connected. If you need me to provide more information, please ask.
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 5633WMLI | 3GB RAM
    Workstation: Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core 2.2 GHz | Asus VGA GeForce 7300GS 265 MB | 2 GB DDR Ram | Maxtor 250GB, 7200RPM 16 MB Serial ATA II/300 | Cooler Master Real Power 550W

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Problem with desktop effects

I know once I couldn't get my cube to work, and I found that I had accidentally turned off Rotate Cube. Did you accidentally turn any off?
    Spoiler: Highlight to read
    Congratulations, you have found the secret message! It contains absolutely nothing useful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Dullstar View Post
    I know once I couldn't get my cube to work, and I found that I had accidentally turned off Rotate Cube. Did you accidentally turn any off?
    No, settings in compiz don't work at all so that is not the problem.

Anyone else with some suggestions?
    Laptop: Acer Aspire 5633WMLI | 3GB RAM
    Workstation: Asrock 939Dual-Sata2 | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core 2.2 GHz | Asus VGA GeForce 7300GS 265 MB | 2 GB DDR Ram | Maxtor 250GB, 7200RPM 16 MB Serial ATA II/300 | Cooler Master Real Power 550W

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Regenerate View Post
    After connecting a external monitor however, the Visual Effects is now set to 'None', compiz effects don't work anymore and I cannot enable these anymore. When I try enabling the Visual effects I get a pop-up with the notion "Desktop effects could not be enabled". Disconnecting the monitor and restarting the laptop doesn't make a difference: all effects are disabled and stay that way. Working without the effects makes gnome much less user friendly, scrolling through (web)pages is now quite a shocky experience, not great to work with.
    I have EXACTLY the same problem. Funny thing is... everything worked fine about a month ago when I used my external monitor last. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. It really makes Gnome and Firefox very painful to use.

Beans

I had the exact same problem, after examening the ../X11 folder I found out that ubuntu made a backup of my xconf.org with the exact time of the change added to the filename. I simply renamed that file to it's original name (xconf.org), after a reboot everything was working as it should.

xorg.conf after connecting external display (visial effects could not be enabled):

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    SubSection "Display"
    Virtual 2424 1388
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Device"