Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Headless server / VNC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Headless server / VNC

Hi all,

I've been meaning for ages to sort out a problem where I want to connect to my MythTV backend server via VNC. The problem I've encountered like many others is that the box doesn't have a monitor attached and therefor my X session has not successfully started. I've finally got round to sorting it and thought I'd post here in case it was of use.

I'm running Karmic; however I'm reasonably sure the solution should work in Jaunty too (where I first noticed the problem). Create a file called xorg.conf in /etc/X11/ and paste the following:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "VNC Device"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "VNC Screen"
    Device "VNC Device"
    Monitor "VNC Monitor"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "VNC Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-70
    VertRefresh 50-75
    EndSection

Thanks to the various posts here that have provided pointers...

Regards,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Headless server / VNC

Have you considered freenx?
    It is fast and very easy to setup.

Beans

Talking Re: Headless server / VNC

I think this is just what I needed! I had this same problem in 9.04, but for some reason it eventually stopped happening.

I upgraded to 9.10 Monday of this week and after ssh'ing in and restarting I was dead in the water. Plugging in a monitor and rebooting allowed me to get back online.

I haven't tested this yet, but I have already put it in place. Wanted to note that the xorg.conf file already existed, I just made a backup and edited the existing.

I didn't see what the screen was showing when I was hung, but previously in 9.04 it said something like "low graphics mode", and wouldn't boot.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by druhboruch View Post
    Have you considered freenx?
    It is fast and very easy to setup.
    +1 for freenx.

You could also export X in an ssh session and just run the app on the client machine.

OR, you could admin the box via command line which is the best way IMHO.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Question Re: Headless server / VNC

I agree, for the most part I try to admin via command line. But I like having the GUI to fall back on. I'm not an expert, so some things are beyond me if I don't have the GUI.

The problem prevents accessing the command-line as Ubuntu doesn't even boot. I realize this problem may be non-existent if you just run Ubuntu without a GUI, but like I said...

Beans

Smile Re: Headless server / VNC

Thank you for sharing, can2002!

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for and needed. So many other posts attempting to solve the headless startup issue have recommend other VNC servers or other more invasive solutions. I knew proper settings in the xorg.conf file would fix it, but I am just not fluent enough in the xorg.conf file to have figure this out. I implemented your file and it works like a dream.

Thanks again!

Beans

I was having the same problem with 64-bit version of Ubuntu 9.10 (desktop). I wanted to use it headless, and VNC into it, but it wouldn't work. Repeately checking calling "tail /var/log/syslog" found errors occuring every few seconds: gdm wasn't successfully starting, and thus kept respawning. I could VNC in, but couldn't get past the login screen (was using xdmcp to bring up the gdm login screen (not sure if thats the correct terminology)).

Putting your lines of code in /etc/X11/xorg.conf fixed the problem! Thanks!

Beans

Worked like charm on Linux Mint Helena HTPC to control via VNC
    Great Tip
    ThanksSmile

Beans

My resolution is 800x600 when connected via VNC on the headless server, and i wanted to have a larger screen to view. The server is Karmic 9.10 and xorg.conf was empty, but i added all the lines you marked in red, and rebooted.

After it came online, the VNC connection wouldn't let me connect at all, so i ssh'd back to the server, and rm'd /etc/X11/xorg.conf, rebooted, and now it works again. So just adding those lines to that file didn't work for me. I'll be sticking with 800x600 for a bit until i find some other workaround or dedicate more time to it. For now though, ssh -x user@server works good enough.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by can2002 View Post

Section "Device"
    Identifier "VNC Device"
    Driver "vesa"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "VNC Screen"
    Device "VNC Device"
    Monitor "VNC Monitor"
    SubSection "Display"
    Modes "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "VNC Monitor"
    HorizSync 30-70
    VertRefresh 50-75
    EndSection
    Regards,
    Chris
    Thank Chris!!! This solved my problem....
    Works like charm on Karmic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast