Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Beans

ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Hey everyone,

Forgive my grand Ubuntu ignorance, but I am a really new user. The 64 bit version I download from the website says amd64 bit, does that mean I need to have an amd processor? I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit on my intel quad core processor, so I know my system can run a 64 bit OS, but will it work with 9.10 64 bit? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by aravel View Post
    Hey everyone,

Forgive my grand Ubuntu ignorance, but I am a really new user. The 64 bit version I download from the website says amd64 bit, does that mean I need to have an amd processor? I am currently running Windows 7 64 bit on my intel quad core processor, so I know my system can run a 64 bit OS, but will it work with 9.10 64 bit? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    No you don't need an amd processor, if you have 64bit win7 then you're good to go with Ubuntu 9.10 64bit.

Hope this helps.
    Jaco
    Linux user #507643
    iMac 24" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 1GB Ram
    Snow leopard 10.6.3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

nop, AMD64 is only an architecture naming convention, not a processor brand restriction. I'm running Karmic AMD64 on my i5 as I write these lines.

Kind regards!

_0R10N >>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

That's right, as far as I know (better underline that: as far as I know) there is only three architectures possible in Ubuntu:

1: 32-bit (i3886) (works on almost all computers)
    2: 64-bit (amd64) (works on every 64-bit machines)
    3: Power PC (PPC) (works on Mac Power PCs and Playstation 3s)

By the way, you don't have to say you're a newbie. We'll try to resolve your question no matter how hard or easy it is, and above all we'll never laugh at anyone's ignorance as (to quote Debian Forums) "no one is born knowing these things".
    Last edited by The Thunder Chimp; April 23rd, 2010 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Using lucid lynx RC, I am running the 64 bit and have a AMD Phenom II 945, do I need to update the kernel to take advantage of the quad core or to speed up the system.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MButterman View Post
    Using lucid lynx RC, I am running the 64 bit and have a AMD Phenom II 945, do I need to update the kernel to take advantage of the quad core or to speed up the system.

Thanks
    No, Linux supports multiple cores out-of-the-box. Go to System > Administration > System Monitor and you'll see four cores being monitored.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without having to format?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

No as far as I know.You must perform a clean 64bit installation from the grounds up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: ubuntu 9.10 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by ambdeep View Post
    is it possible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit without having to format?
    No, I'm fairly sure that it's the way the Operating System is built. However, please make sure that your computer supports 64-bit before trying to reinstall it in a clean way. If there's no other way of doing it, you might want to make a 64-bit partition just to see if it's possible.
    Last edited by The Thunder Chimp; April 25th, 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunder Chimp View Post
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure that it's the way the Operating System is built. However, please make sure that your computer supports 64-bit before trying to reinstall it in a clean way.
    That's odd advice. The Ubuntu 64-bit CD will not run, much less install, if your system doesn't support 64-bit; so it's physically impossible to install 64-bit Ubuntu on a 32-bit computer.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast