Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

I'm also having this problem and the work-around described above did not work for me.

When I place the system into Suspend, it goes through the suspend process and powers off the LCD display but then immediately powers up the LCD again but without any content being displayed on-screen - just a blank, but illuminated, screen.

When I attempt to Resume, the system pulls data from the hard drive but the screen stays blank and illuminated. Soft reset doesn't work and I have to hard reset to get back into the OS.

As with a previous poster I'm also running this on an IBM Thinkpad X31.

I previously abandoned Ubuntu 9.10 due to problems in running it with the X31 graphics chipset, which is a ATI Mobility RADEON M6 LY.

Given the display factors I have described I'm wondering if the 10.04 Suspend problem could be caused by a video driver issue?

Interestingly, I had no problems running CrunchBang based on Ubuntu 9.04.

Oh, a little bit of searching turned up these bug reports:
    https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14640
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/485108

Looks like this problem has been affecting Ubuntu since November2009.
    Last edited by The_Bullfrog; May 29th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.

Beans

Don't know why this has been marked as solved when there are lots of people still having the same issue...

Anyway I found an old thread which had a solution to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875529

So I tried s2disk from the command line and it worked great, but adding them to that script doesn't seem to work (assumingly Ubuntu decided they wanted to ditch that convention). I later discovered that hitting the hibernate button doesn't seem to touch this script - it seems to execute /sbin/pm-hibernate. So big dirty fix was simply to back up your existing script and point it to s2disk instead:

sudo mv /sbin/pm-hibernate /sbin/pm-hibernate.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2disk /sbin/pm-hibernate

And to do the same for suspend (slightly different as it may require --force for some machines)

echo -e '#!/bin/bash\n/sbin/s2ram --force' > ~/s2ram.sh
    chmod a+x ~/s2ram.sh
    sudo mv ~/s2ram.sh /sbin/
    sudo mv /sbin/pm-suspend /sbin/pm-suspend.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2ram.sh /sbin/pm-suspend

And magically it works fine. Wish I just did that instead of the None / Extras fix - went and zapped a lot of my cool compiz settings

Anyway just putting it out there in case it's of use to anyone else
    Last edited by snesreviews; May 29th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks snesreviews,

I found that set of instructions (not there, on the ubuntugeek site, but it's the same instructions.) And, while it suspends nicely (and quickly) with that, my X31s still won't come back from being suspended.

Good spot otherwise tho', and it may well work for some people on here.

Oli.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry to say but I am having identical issues to those posting previously. Mine is an old IBM T30 with an ATI Radeon video card. It took me only a few minutes to get sleep on Jaunty working on it, mostly the removal of scripts that had previously been necessary (from the Thinkpad WIKI as I recall) to be stored in /etc/pm/sleep.d

I am super bummed because this machine stays in sleep in my office except when I need to quickly check the 'Net. Powering it up/off each time is a serious drag. I am wondering if degrading back to Jaunty will be required.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, I am doing some digging into this and looking at my logs from prior to the install, when the suspend/resume was working and now. It appears that the video quirk handling system is not working. For example, in my old pre-Lucid Lynx pm-suspend.log there is a line:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00auto-quirk suspend suspend: Adding quirks from HAL: --quirk-radeon-off
    success.

This line does not appear in any logs subsequent to the new 10.04 install. Now the question is, how do I fix it so that HAL sends the appropriate quirk? Help??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fprintf View Post
    Ok, I am doing some digging into this and looking at my logs from prior to the install, when the suspend/resume was working and now. It appears that the video quirk handling system is not working. For example, in my old pre-Lucid Lynx pm-suspend.log there is a line:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/00auto-quirk suspend suspend: Adding quirks from HAL: --quirk-radeon-off
    success.

This line does not appear in any logs subsequent to the new 10.04 install. Now the question is, how do I fix it so that HAL sends the appropriate quirk? Help??
    I think therein lies the problem. Lucid did away with HAL, if I'm not mistaken. I think, too, that it might be related to upgrading. There seems to be a major shift in handling video, in addition to HAL. For example, on my Dell D600, I can no longer use the proprietary drivers. Some post, somewhere, mentioned something about ATI focussing all of their attention on supporting the open source drivers. Upgrading from Karmic did not go well with the video drivers, though I think I was able to straighten out the mismatch of old and new such that I'm working off of the open source drivers. But suspend still doesn't work. Given that my laptop still uses the old grub, rather than grub2, I'm wondering just how much other stuff is effected by the changes.

So, sorry to say that I don't have a solution, but my next plan of attack is to back up all my stuff and go with a fresh clean install. Fewer variables to have to deal with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by hufemj View Post
    So, sorry to say that I don't have a solution, but my next plan of attack is to back up all my stuff and go with a fresh clean install. Fewer variables to have to deal with.
    A clean install of Lucid didn't work for me, unfortunately.

I also found, on my X31, that the S2Disk scripts didn't solve the problem - the machine went into suspend/hibernate nicely but on Resuming it just gave me a randomly garbled and unusable display.

The bug reports I posted seem to suggest that this may be a kernel regression :-/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doko1 View Post
    Thanks, Anschuz, for this little but important detail. This worked out for me now!

So here is how it works (hopefully) for everybody:
    1. Go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance
    2. Choose Tab "Visual Effects"
    3. Make sure option "None" is chosen, if not choose it
    4. Change to "Extra", this makes the system searching for drivers automatically
    5. Change back to the configuration you prefer
    I'm glad it worked for you. But it doesn't work for me. The default upgrade on my Dell D600 would not allow selection of the "Extra" or "Normal" drivers. I finally got the ATI driver thing resolved, working with the open source drivers, and now I can select "Normal" or "Extra", and go back to "None", but suspend still doesn't work. It goes to a black back lit screen with a flashing underscore cursor with fans active and that's it.

I was able to get the system to suspend using acpitool from the command line, but then resume just brings me to a black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I really think this has something to do with HAL or the video quirks not being called correctly. If I copy 98video-quirk-db-handler from /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d over to /etc/pm/sleep.d (the user space settings for suspend/resume I think), the suspend works perfectly. That is, my backlight goes off like it is supposed to.

However the resume does not work properly. I probably need to write a quick 21radeon script that turns the screen on properly on resume. Right now, like so many others, I get either a black screen with the backlight on, or it will come up with my background image but none of the gnome menubars.

Thanks for any help troubleshooting this. I see lots of bugs are filed over the course of the past few years. I have not filed one yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

As someone else has noted this problem is not solved could a moderator please change the status of the thread in the hope that it might draw some more interest?

All the above workarounds fall flat on my HP Mini 110c - the computer starts back up (from suspend) but the display isn't backlit - if I hold the screen up to the light I can see the background/ login window (no, the display isn't burnt ) but nothing brings it back to life. Hibernate does the self same thing only after a few seconds of non-backlit screen it hangs and reboots.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast