Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Beans

Re: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

got the same error with lubuntu at process 226 instead of 221. This happened after changing a stick of ram (inferion 128mb 100Mhz for 64mb 100Mhz).
    current system: Gateway lt3114u with, 2GB RAM (pc5300/667MhZ), 250GB HDD, and Vista Basic (Ugh!).

"Microsoft may give you Windows, but Ubuntu gives you the whole house"

Beans

My PC with the following specs:

Pentium 4 3.40 GHz
    Asus P5VD1-X Rev 303
    2GB RAM

does not boot anymore after updating the initramfs and it started to show the same message. How ti fix the initramfs now?
    I cannot load the kernel, it just goes to the initramfs /bin/sh (ash shell). I cannot manipulate packages from this shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Im curious, has anyone here installed BURG? (the sexy graphical version of Grub2?)

What makes me wonder is that I have read elsewhere that "sudo update-grub" might fix this problem and then it got me thinking that this started happening some time after installing BURG.

Im just about to reboot so I will see if the above command did anything and it should be readily apparent since I get this error pretty much every time I boot.

[edit/update]
    So, whether it has anything to do with BURG has yet to be seen, but I have just done 3 restarts and 3 shutdowns followed of course by 3 boot ups and have yet to encounter this error again, which, as stated above, happened pretty much every time before.

Only time will tell if this is a fix. Get trying it open source slaves! *cracks whip*

source:
    Clicky
    Last edited by drewsus; July 27th, 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Beans

Never had burg on this install so doesn't seem related.
    In my case, all boot errors/problems seem to have been down to ureadahead (maverick), after removing the package I don't get this message on boot anymore.

However, it does sometimes appear when resuming from suspend though since there is also a serious kernal warning after resume also, it's probably related to that.

I think what devs in the bug reports have been saying is right, the message in itself isn't the problem, it is a symptom of some other error/bug.

Beans

This error message IS UNRELATED to the real problem.

I can't update-grub from INITRAMFS shell, because it doesn't have sudo, update-grub and even it can't access the disk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by andre.tadeu View Post
    This error message IS UNRELATED to the real problem.

I can't update-grub from INITRAMFS shell, because it doesn't have sudo, update-grub and even it can't access the disk.
    Caps...
    Could it not be mused that YOUR problem is UNRELATED to OTHER people's problem?
    And thus, what I mentioned above could be completely RELEVANT to fixing some people's issues as it has seemingly fixed mine?
    Do not bark down possible solutions, ESPECIALLY with an issue that is spouting an error message UNRELATED to the actual error.

Now...
    I installed BURG again and got the GLib-WARNING again, but ran "sudo update-grub" and it went away again, with BURG still working.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andre.tadeu View Post
    My PC with the following specs:

Pentium 4 3.40 GHz
    Asus P5VD1-X Rev 303
    2GB RAM

does not boot anymore after updating the initramfs and it started to show the same message. How ti fix the initramfs now?
    I cannot load the kernel, it just goes to the initramfs /bin/sh (ash shell). I cannot manipulate packages from this shell.
    Hold down Shift while booting to get to Grub, select the Recovery kernel, and then choose "root" at the bottom.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Relax, guys.

Beans

I am sorry for the Caps Lock.

I am following the bugs at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and I had the same problem three times. I often could boot in the previous kernel holding "Shift" when the Linux starts. That time I couldn't because I didn't update the Linux Kernel and GDM also.

This bug always happened to me when I updated the system, however that time I updated applications and initramfs (maybe initramfs-tools).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I got the same stupid msg ...

even I couldn't use liveCD for 10.04 and 9.10 to backup .

I tried 8.04 liveCD and it's working but I can't access ex4 home folder to backup data :s.

guys ..I want some way to retrieve my data .. this problem make me crazy .

notice : when I check hardisk with liveCD it gave me a msg 'bad sectors ' *_* .

plz any link to help in backup

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast