Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No tun module in 10.04 breaks my vpn client

Beans

Re: No tun module in 10.04 breaks my vpn client

Quote Originally Posted by afriendinit View Post
    Any luck? I am facing the same issue. I saw a bug on this but it says invalid bug as the module is already a part of kernel. They should at least mention a work around. This is the reason why many folks don't switch over...
    Why would you expect them to mention a workaround for software they don't maintain, support, or use? If you stick to software in the ubuntu repository, you avoid these compatibility issues. Ubuntu developers have no control over your third party software.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So what to do?
    Change permission to tuncfg?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rozbarwinek View Post
    So what to do?
    Change permission to tuncfg?
    My suggestion is to use a VPN solution that is supported by, or at least compatible with, the OS you wish to use. Do you have the latest version? Is there any product support or forum on their website? Can you contact the author?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    My suggestion is to use a VPN solution that is supported by, or at least compatible with, the OS you wish to use. Do you have the latest version? Is there any product support or forum on their website? Can you contact the author?
    I use hamachi it works very well except that I have to start TUN manually every reboot

Beans

not supported for.... you are developing an operating system not a toy for a kid. Hope you remember a concept called "backward compatibility".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Seems to me that it's the developer of the client application who is most likely to be of assistance. They'll need to update the software such that it works with the new kernel, and in the meantime users with the current client will need to remain on a compatible version of the OS. Anyone tried checking the client developer's site for updates?

Beans

not supported for.... you are developing an operating system not a toy for a kid. Hope you remember a concept called "backward compatibility".
    There is a developer in this thread? A linux kernel developer? I'm not a developer, but it sounds like some VPN clients were written poorly with faulty assumptions.

Beans

I don't buy that. take a simple scenario:
    if(x > 0) z=y/x;
    now go to this particular scenario:
    if(modprobe tun) open tunnel connection
    else
    print error;

If scenario I is valid then definetly scenario II is also valid. May modprobe itself should intelligent enough such that it will not generate error if the module is built in...

I am a developer myself, this is just bad design from the OS side, they should expect every test case before going for something that might save a micro second or less during booting. This is poor response even after there is a bug....

If customer is always right then a user is also always right... in this case the vpn dev is the user and the OS dev is the merchant.

Beans

I am a developer myself, this is just bad design from the OS side, they should expect every test case before going for something that might save a micro second or less during booting. This is poor response even after there is a bug....
    If you're a developer, then I guess I will assume you understand this issue and the linux kernel better than I do, and have to take your word for it. I doubt the kernel team is going to read this thread, though. I disagree that modprobe should come tweaked to trick applications into thinking tun is loaded as a module when it is builtin to fix VPN clients which assumed it would always be loaded as a module.

Beans

Anyone found any solution for this "tun module failed" on Ubuntu 10.04 with Juniper? I can't use another VPN client, I'm on a big company, now I'm using Windows because of this problem...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast