Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] can't read udf cd

Beans

Re: can't read udf cd

Everything worked out fine, i restarted, but with the cd the message is the same:

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I've got some questions:

1) When in the terminal, after giving an order, if you press the "enter" key in the middle of a process, does it affect it? Sometimes the cursor just blinks for a long time on the left edge and by pressing enter the process continues.

2) What should i do with the newly opened folder udf-filesystem-2.5 and with the "box" (.tar.gz)? They're now on my desktop and on my personal folder in /home.

And thanks once more for your time, pro-reason.

ejv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Pressing keys while a command is executing generally doesn't affect it.

---------

You just need to follow the steps, and if there are errors from a step, react to them.

If you have downloaded the archive to your desktop, then extract it with the command I gave.

Does that work? If not, then make it work. If so, then do the next step.

Use the “cd” command to enter the directory. Does that work? If not, make it work. If so, then do the next step.
    If people were nicer, I'd answer more queries here!

Beans

Oh yes, the commands worked out fine 'till the end. I followed your steps until the end and then restarted the computer, tried to open the cd but... it didn't work. It says it can't mount it. Then in Places>Computer>UDF Volume (i'm translating from spanish) I rightclick and try to open it, and there's where i get the message i pasted.

I never in my life typed orders on a terminal so i have no idea how to "react" to an error, or how to "make something work". In the past weeks i've just begun to understand a bit, but that's all.

Beans

No wait!!!

It's now working fine. I did the process once more from the beginning and now i can see the images on the cd. I'm sorry for the clumsiness...

Thanks a lot man!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Re: can't read udf cd

Here are the commands again.

STEP 1:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    This is just to install some software that we will need. You only have to do this once.

STEP 2:

Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    This is just to go to a convenient location. It doesn't really matter where. You can make it ~/Escritorio or anywhere else in your home directory.

STEP 3:

Code:
    wget -O udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61993&d=1205001057
    This is to download an archive file that we need. If it does not download correctly, then visit the other thread and download it from your browser. Put the downloaded file on your desktop (or whatever directory you chose in step 2).

STEP 4:

Code:
    tar -xvzf udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz
    This extracts the contents of the archive. You should see a list of the contents of the archive at this point. If an error occurs, then do not continue to step 5. Download a copy of the archive without errors instead.

If you like, instead of typing this command, you can right-click on the archive on your desktop, and choose “Extract here”.

STEP 5:

Code:
    cd udf-filesystem-2.5 && ls
    This “cd” (“change directory”) command simply moves you into the directory that step 4 extracted from the archive. You can also do “cd ~/Escritorio/udf-filesystem-2.5”.

The “&& ls” on the end simply prints a list of the contents of the directory, so that you can check that you are in the right one.

STEP 6:

Code:
    echo "1150a1151" > tinypatch.patch
    echo "> (le16_to_cpu(((__le16 *)upm2->partIdent.identSuffix)[0]) == 0x0201) ||" >> tinypatch.patch
    These two lines create a new file called “tinypatch.patch”. We will use it later.

STEP 7:

Code:
    patch src/super.c < tinypatch.patch
    This uses the patch we created in order to fix an error in the software we downloaded in step 3.

STEP 8:

Code:
    make
    This compiles the software. It is a complicated process, but you don't have to understand it. You just have to type that one word.

STEP 9:

Code:
    sudo rmmod  udf
    sudo insmod src/udf.ko
    sudo cp  src/udf.ko  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/udf/
    This installs the software. It won't produce much output on the terminal, but it will apparently fix your problem.

If you just go through each step one by one, it will work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by ejv View Post
    No wait!!!

It's now working fine. I did the process once more from the beginning and now i can see the images on the cd. I'm sorry for the clumsiness...

Thanks a lot man!!!
    OK, glad to see it worked OK. Espero que no tengas más problemitas con eso.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] can't read udf cd

PERO SI HABLAS ESPAÑOL!!!!!

Yo soy colombiano. Sólo me falta por saber qué hago con las carpetas que andan molestando en mi escritorio. La caja y la carpeta de los udf filesystem. Como tambien están en mi carpeta personal, no pasa nada si las mando a la papelera, cierto?

Un saludo y otra vez muchas gracias!

ejv

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, you can safely delete all those files now. We've finished with them.

I am a Spanish teacher. But the forum rules say we have to use English here, except in the LoCo forums. You can use Spanish in private messages if you like, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: [SOLVED] can't read udf cd

Yes, the above fix does work. The patched UDF file system will now open those troublesome UDF DVD's

tail /var/log/syslog
    Feb 4 20:05:19 boxen kernel: [15806.462906] UDF-fs INFO UDF 0.9.8.1 (2004/29/09) Mounting volume '^P', timestamp 2008/11/18 14:00 (130c)

Thanks to those patiently posting the exact steps.
    David
    McPond Software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I know this item isi solved and I don't know if it is ok to restart it like this however....
    I followed the execllent steps above until the 'make' command and all I get is a heap of error messages as can be seen.....can anyone advise me as to why all the error messages?

nigel@Master:~/Desktop/udf-filesystem-2.5$ cd ~/Desktop
    nigel@Master:~/Desktop$ cd ~/
    nigel@Master:~$ downloads
    bash: downloads: command not found
    nigel@Master:~$ cd ~/Downloads
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads$ wget -O udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...3&d=1205001057
    [1] 6812
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads$ --2009-02-12 10:09:29-- http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=61993
    Resolving ubuntuforums.org... 91.189.94.12
    Connecting to ubuntuforums.org|91.189.94.12|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 84633 (83K) [unknown/unknown]
    Saving to: `udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz'

100%[================================================== =================================================>] 84,633 42.5K/s in 1.9s

2009-02-12 10:09:32 (42.5 KB/s) - `udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz' saved [84633/84633]

tar -xvzf udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz
    udf-filesystem-2.5/
    udf-filesystem-2.5/Kbuild
    udf-filesystem-2.5/COPYING
    udf-filesystem-2.5/Makefile
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/super.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udftime.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/inode.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/namei.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_fs_sb.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/osta_udf.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/partition.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/fsync.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udfdecl.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/UDF_2.50-linux-2.6.24.patch
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/dir.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/misc.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/ecma_167.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/unicode.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/symlink.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/ialloc.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udfend.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/lowlevel.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/file.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_fs.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_sb.h
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/truncate.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/directory.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/crc.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/Makefile
    udf-filesystem-2.5/src/.tmp_versions/
    [1]+ Done wget -O udf-filesystem-2.5.tar.gz http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...chmentid=61993
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads$ cd udf-filesystem-2.5 && ls
    COPYING Kbuild Makefile src
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5$ echo "1150a1151" > tinypatch.patch
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5$ echo "> (le16_to_cpu(((__le16 *)upm2->partIdent.identSuffix)[0]) == 0x0201) ||" >> tinypatch.patch
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5$ patch src/super.c < tinypatch.patch
    patching file src/super.c
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-11-generic/build M=/home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5 V=0 modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic'
    CC [M] /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.o
    In file included from /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:22:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udfdecl.h:4:26: error: linux/udf_fs.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:28:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h: In function ‘UDF_I’:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h:7: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h:7: warning: type defaults to ‘int’ in declaration of ‘__mptr’
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h:7: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/udf_i.h:7: error: invalid use of undefined type ‘struct udf_inode_info’
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c: In function ‘__load_block_bitmap’:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:109: error: implicit declaration of function ‘udf_debug’
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c: In function ‘udf_table_free_blocks’:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:446: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:512: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:514: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:543: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:556: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:557: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:569: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:597: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c: In function ‘udf_table_prealloc_blocks’:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:633: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:635: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:642: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c: In function ‘udf_table_new_block’:
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:698: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:700: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    /home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.c:715: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    make[3]: *** [/home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src/balloc.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [/home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5/src] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/nigel/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic'
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    nigel@Master:~/Downloads/udf-filesystem-2.5$

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast