Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Is there a list of the drivers installed by enabling the extras option, so that we might be able to identify the "magic" driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ditto - what are these drivers?

When I selected "Extras" (as per my earlier post), I don't believe anything was installed, and it made no difference.

(Can I confirm that we are talking about System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and choosing "Extra"?)

Oli.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zcacogp View Post
    Ditto - what are these drivers?

When I selected "Extras" (as per my earlier post), I don't believe anything was installed, and it made no difference.

(Can I confirm that we are talking about System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and choosing "Extra"?)

Oli.

Same here.

Anyway, this problem has not at all been solved... it's simply a workaround which only works out for some.

Beans

This work around successfully fixed hibernate and suspend on both of my laptops (Dell Inspiron 710m and Compaq/HP TC4400).

I did have to adjust the settings slightly differently in order to get the "searching for drivers" dialogue window.

In my case both laptops were originally set to Normal. Switching to Extra had no effect other than enabling the extra features. By toggling between None and Normal I was able to invoke the "Searching for drivers" dialogue. With Normal selected I closed Appearance Preferences and rebooted. After rebooting both suspend and hibernate are now working.

I was about to revert to 9.04 when I came across this thread. Thank you very much for this tip!

Beans

Thanks, Anschuz, for this little but important detail. This worked out for me now!

So here is how it works (hopefully) for everybody:
    1. Go to System -> Preferences -> Appearance
    2. Choose Tab "Visual Effects"
    3. Make sure option "None" is chosen, if not choose it
    4. Change to "Extra", this makes the system searching for drivers automatically
    5. Change back to the configuration you prefer

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So how would I go about doing this in, say, Xubuntu where I do not have compiz, or Gnome?

Beans

Well I followed the procedure and there is a change. However, if before the standby would not resume, now the standby just locks the screen, but I still hear the fans on, the pc doesn't go to power saving mode.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doko1 View Post
    Thanks, Anschuz, for this little but important detail. This worked out for me now!

For whatever reason, my Dell Latitude D600 does not give me a dialog box for drivers. When I choose either Normal or Extra, it searches for drivers, seems to try to go to the new setting (normal or extra), then gives me a message that it can't do it and reverts to none all by itself. Suspend still doesn't work. Although, I did notice a brief username/pw dialog box that appeared for a second or so before it went to the backlit black screen with the blinking underline cursor in the upper left. I can ctrl-alt-f5 to a command prompt and reboot. But, that's it.

It's kind of odd that system->admininistration->hardware drivers indicates "no proprietary drivers are in use on the system". Yet, in system->preferences there's an ATI Catalyst Control Center and an ATI Catalyst Control Center (Administrative).

Beans

I have a Dell Studio 1558 that wasn't resuming from suspend and the solution was this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...498/comments/5

NOTE: Resuming from hibernation still does not work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by doko1 View Post

Since I already installed the video drivers from nvidia I am not given a dialog for drivers.

Also didnt fix suspend for me. And I used compiz config settings manager wonder if thats causing the problem.
    Last edited by keypox; May 29th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast