Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incoming FUD.

Beans
    Hidden!

Incoming FUD.

Hey all, this is really stupid, but I want to give a heads up.

A notorious /. poster known as Twitter (and about ten other names through sock puppet accounts) has somehow made it onto the /. front page with a 'M$'/Mono/Debian related post.

As a long time /. reader, I can tell you that this guy is interested only in bashing people and starting fights.

If you start seeing threads in here linking to that story or commenting on that story, clicker beware, you may be getting trolled because the posts in whatever thread are likely posted by the same person with multiple accounts - as that is what this Twitter character has been doing to start fights for oh - a couple years now.

Edit: I should mention that all his /. accounts are 'b*tch-slapped' meaning his posts automatically go to -1 over there due to chronic abuse.

Edit2: /. editor Timothy apologizes in thread for leaving M$ reference in tact in posted story, the whole thread is flaming. Hopefully they change the front page summary.

Edit3: M$ references changed back to proper spelling at least.

Edit4: Story now expanded by editors to include link to a defense of Mono and some more solid information on both sides... Making my post moot.
    Last edited by aesis05401; June 27th, 2009 at 10:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Incoming FUD.

I'm not too worried about it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, no matter how ridiculous.

It's going to rain cheese today.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    I'm not too worried about it. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, no matter how ridiculous.

It's going to rain cheese today.
    ill bring out my tostitos and a micro wave

Beans
    Hidden!

The problem is his tactics. He uses IP obsfucation to literally chain together entire conversations on sites that appear to be from different users. This inevitably draws noobs into the fray and you end up with a bunch of hurt feelings.

I am not obsessed with following this guy, but off tops here are the names of a few accounts he has admitted to sock-puppeting:
    Erris
    Gnutoo
    intheloo

If you look at the comment history you will find a chronic history not of just flaming, but of trying to mislead people through strategy and deception. This poster is really really tenacious, too. If he decides that deb based distros are now his enemy he will show up much the same as he has plagued so many other sites.

Edit: He also targets established users who mock him by registering similar names then using those accounts to put up weak arguments that he then 'destroys' using his other accounts ie: mactrope (parody of /. user macthorpe) and a number of others I don't recall spelling of. The prevailing theory among those who have to deal with him is that he is either mentally handicapped or psychotically OCD when he gets hung up on a topic like Microsoft anything.
    Last edited by aesis05401; June 27th, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Beans

Ah well, the world won't stop turning.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    Ah well, the world won't stop turning.
    That's a very good po{#`%${%&`+'${`%&NO CARRIER

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aesis05401 View Post
    (everything from first post)
    OK, people scared, how about sharing some facts/URLs ?
    Or is it a warning to readers "a la Microsoft": "pssst there are 237 patents linux infringes but we won't tell which" you may only wonder ?
    I mean there's always somebody bashing some one, why is now different?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't use Twitter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    I don't use Twitter.
    Neither do I, I prefer identi.ca

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by froggyswamp View Post
    OK, people scared, how about sharing some facts/URLs ?
    Or is it a warning to readers "a la Microsoft": "pssst there are 237 patents linux infringes but we won't tell which" you may only wonder ?
    I mean there's always somebody bashing some one, why is now different?
    Hi, if you are meaning I should post direct links to story or to the troll's /. accounts.. I'm not a web developer but doesn't that increase Google page rank unless the forum sets 'nofollow' on URLs so the spiders don't find it?

You can search slashdot + twitter and find a ton of information. There are several users in good standing that maintain journals tracking his accounts because he is such a problem (including someone who tracked him down a few years ago and posted his personal information and place of employment online to pay him back for all the agggravation).

The reason I posted here is because of the /. effect and the fact that several hundred thousand people are going to be seeing this story this weekend.

Edit: Or go to /. and lookup the other user accounts I mentioned and hit 'comments.' There you will see thousands of -1 posts between them. That doesn't happen to normal trolls. This guy is special.
    Last edited by aesis05401; June 27th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast