Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 on Hardy

Too good to be true. One reboot later and it seems I have the same problem as you. My card did work though before the reboot and before I touched the killswitch. I will look into this and post back if I fixed it.

That's exactly what I saw; worked for one session only and never again.

There's a problem in the __init stage. It doesn't initialize the controller at all, other than poking some settings in, that I can see.

I admit that I jumped on that, rebooted into Vista, got a wifi connection (to init the controller) and rebooted into linux. Still no joy.

Weirdness and weirdocity. I'll try and get some time to look at the __init code later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    Ok as far as compilation is concerned I'm not particularly experienced, I'm having the same issues as you and have had no luck. I'm using the Samsung Q310. Unfortunately neither my ethernet or my wifi is working. I'm looking to upgrade the kernel but I have no net connection, i am dual booting vista and ubuntu so I can still use the laptop and download stuff on to the shared disk...

I have the intel link 5100 card. I have installed the firmware, I have also tried to use ndiswrapper, this says the hardware is detected but still doesn't use it.

I really dont know how to compile or configure the kernel. Just about everything that has been said so far has gone over my head...

If someone has a way to get the Marvell Yukon ethernet that would just be a start, at least I could get some sort of internet connection...

Thank you in advance.
    Dave.

I posted brief instructions for the Marvell controller in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=902337

At least you get the gigabit ethernet comms...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have an HP Pavilion DV5-1035CA laptop

Well after unsuccessfully playing around with various Linux distros (including arch, which didnt support my laptop's ethernet adapter), trying to load the iwl5000 drivers, endlessly messing with the CLI, and even compiling my own kernel from the .27 sources using the kernel-check utility, I was unsuccessful.

Today I installed the Intrepid Ibex alpha, upgraded all my packages to the latest through the update manager, and everything JUST WORKED!

So for those who are without support currently, it will be supported in Intrepid Ibex which is to be released at the end of October
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world"
    -- Albert Einstien

Beans
    Hidden!

Hello.

I have given a try to kernel 2.6.27-2 (avilable on intrepid repos) and the result is great. Wireless works "out of the box".

I am running an Acer 5930g model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi, I can't even get the live cd to boot for intrepid. This is really frustrating! I just want wifi!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    Hi, I can't even get the live cd to boot for intrepid. This is really frustrating! I just want wifi!!
    Samsung Q310?

Do you know - with any certainty - what network chips your laptop uses?

This thread is focusing on the Intel Pro 5100AGN wireless chip. As of this post, there is no resolution for Hardy (8.04) yet, other than some one-shot successes followed by epic failures.

Maybe the 5100AGN is bipolar.

If your laptop uses a newer Marvell Technology ethernet (wired) chip, you can get instructions on getting it working from the Marvell website as I indicated above.

If you aren't comfortable with command-line Linux, and find it difficult to adapt to nested and threaded frustrations, then perhaps the combination of leading-edge hardware and leading-edge software is not where you want to be ..... cuz this is what The Leading Edge looks and feels like. It can be as frustrating as it can be rewarding. So, suck it up, go read the specs on your laptop, then write me a 5100AGN driver that works!

Beans
    Hidden!

Just move temporaly sources.list to intrepid repos. Download linux-image-2.6.27-2-generic, idem headers and restrictred modules and restricted common. (There is no risk on that yo can always boot with 2.6.24 hardy kernel, do not upgrade other packages or you will mess up).
    Move again to hardy repos. Reboot and take a look to wireless extensions.
    At least in this Acer 5930g it is working fine, no problem after shutdown or reboot.

And the Marvell ethernet keeps working also, although loos like there is some kind of problem with that sky2 driver, repoted here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/227204

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!

Which kernel version are you using, 32 or 64?
    Looks like it could be related with the 64bit version. Look here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/256629

Beans

I GOT WIRELESS on my Compal JHL90 hardward, with 64 bit Kubuntu Hardy.

What it took what a kernel compile of 2.6.27-rc5 with the latest snapshot patches, currently "-git4", from the kernel archive.

I saw some commits to the wireless driver that discussed interrupt workarounds for hardware bugs, and I suspected something like this, because of these syslog entries, which I don't see any more:
    Code:
    Sep  3 18:13:12 wta-mobile NetworkManager: <WARN>  nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan(): (wlan0): could not trigger wireles
    s scan: Network is down
    [...]
    Sep  3 18:13:17 wta-mobile kernel: [ 8953.685236] iwlagn 0000:0e:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
    My initial guesses that the issue was related to the RF Kill switch are thus incorrect. I think there is still a problem with the RF Kill switch being recognized properly by the OS, but it doesn't keep the wireless adapter from working...

In due time, these changes will probably make it into the Intrepid release, due out next month. So, full out-of-the box support is probably just a month away.
    Last edited by wolframarnold; September 4th, 2008 at 02:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sometimes I enjoy beating a problem to death, sometimes not.

Since all the iwlagn driver work is taking place on the 2.6.27 kernel, I decided to bite the bullet and install Intrepid (8.10).

Intrepid correctly identifies the ethernet and wireless network chips, right out of the gate.

Sounds great, huh? I mean dmesg shows it recognized and configured an Intel 5100AGN Wireless adapter! Eureka.

Except, the wireless STILL doesn't work presumably because the wmaster0 interface (layer to mac80211) is disabled. There is no clear indication as to why...it just IS and you will not question it.

"iwlist wlan0 scan" reports that the interface is down.
    "ifconfig wlan0 up" reports that wlan0 is already configured.
    "lshw -C network" only shows the ether and wmaster0 interfaces, and wmaster0 is DISABLED.

This is the same WiFi chip that works fine on Vista x64. I guess Intel was more diligent about providing a working driver for Windows...

(There are no XP drivers for this chip that I know of, so don't recommend the ndiswrapper solution. Vista drivers won't work.)

So, rather than wait weeks and try another 200,000 tweaks to nudge this chip into working as well as any 14-cent-per-dozen 802.11a chip would do, I ordered a 4965AGN PCIe Mini Card to replace the 5100AGN in my laptop.

The 4965AGN card provides three antenna connection points, so I guess I need to find room for a Pringle's can inside the case. The 5100AGN is a cheap imitation of the 4965AGN, even if it uses a little less power.

How's that for a hardcore, pure brute-force, fix to a driver problem?

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast