Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Audio quality of Rhythmbox is poor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Audio quality of Rhythmbox is poor

Hi there,

I have been having problems playing mp3 files in rhythmbox. Basically I have a mix of CD ripped and internet downloaded (amazon) songs all at various bitrates.

When I play a song on Rhythmbox it sounds worse than when I play it off my iPod.

The speakers are the same, the volume settings are (pretty much) the same. The song is the same.

Why does this happen? Can it be fixed?

Thanks,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Audio quality of Rhythmbox is poor

I recommend downloading Songbird from http://www.getdeb.net/ since the official Songbird website doesn't have a Ubuntu repo.
    .:: Toshiba Satellite L305-S5921 // Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400 // 2 GB RAM // 160 GB HD // Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope ::.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, but I'm quite comfortable with Rhythmbox for now, and don't really want to change unless there is NO way to solve the problem. Although I think I will give Songbird a try (heard good things about it!)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    Thanks, but I'm quite comfortable with Rhythmbox for now, and don't really want to change unless there is NO way to solve the problem. Although I think I will give Songbird a try (heard good things about it!)
    Songbird has iPod compatibility built into it, Shoutcast radio, iTunes style layout, and great sound quality.
    .:: Toshiba Satellite L305-S5921 // Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400 // 2 GB RAM // 160 GB HD // Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope ::.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

persuasive arguments...I've decided to try it out. But I've been a fan of rhythmbox for a while and was wondering if anyone can help with the poor sound quality, is it a known issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

elaborate on "poor sound quality"
    and can you make sure it isn't just the audio card or the mp3 codec which is the cause.

This sounds too tricky to know where to begin, so those things should be a good place to narrow down the problem and define it better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'll try to clarify:

1. Poor - I plug in the ipod to listen and compare it to rhythmbox, and rhythmbox sounds "scratchier", not as clear as the sound from the iPod. Also there is a hiss (sometimes).

2. Audio card - could be, but I mean what could be wrong with it? I've had my laptop for a while and it seems to be running fine.

3. MP3 codec - I have the standard ubuntu restricted extras package installed.

- It may have something to do with the whole pulse-audio sound issue, but not really sure what to do about it. I used the following guide to fix pulse: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

if you have problem with pulse, then most people just go to alsa and dont see any difference.

I would have to be on the place to understand the problem I wish you good luck

Beans

I'm also not all that satisfied with the quality of rhythmbox. I have a 10 band equalizer plugin, but it almost sounds as if it makes it worse for certain songs (same sort of thing, scratchy, background noise almost), and without the EQ it just sounds flat. I have a dual boot with XP, and I use media monkey for music in XP, and it definitely sounds a lot better. As for switching to other media players in ubuntu, I've tried exaile, but it was way slower than rhythmbox is for the size of my library (16000+). I've heard good things about Amarok, and songbird, but I haven't been able to really find out if they can handle a large library well or not. Anyone know?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have the same problem with Audacious. I've installed Winamp via Wine, and the sound quality is great, so I assume it's not a problem with my sound card. I also don't have any problem when I'm using Winamp in Windows, which I'm dual-booting. I've also tried exporting my Winamp equalizer settings (I use the Full Bass and Treble preset) and when I import it into Audacious, the sounds is extremely tinny. When I don't use the equalizer at all, the sound seems flat.

I've switched between PulseAudio, OSS, and ALSA, and it all sounds the same.

I'd use Winamp, but it tends to crash randomly, and I'd rather be using Audacity anyway.

Maybe this will help clear up what the problem might be, because it seems you're having the same problem as me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast