Thread: Student Journalism

Beans

Student Journalism

I feel like discussing student journalism because, up until a few hours ago, I was on staff at a student newspaper that was seriously on the cutting edge, winning almost every Associated Collegiate Press award that we tried for. Unfortunately, the paper became a bother to the school's board of trustees, and they cut it's air supply. Sadly, my school has no more student newspaper.

So has anyone had any experience working for, or perhaps administering a student newspaper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Student Journalism

That really sucks about the admin pulling the strings. In college I worked for a student paper that was well balanced overall, but really known for it's parody editions. We were told not to print our spoof edition my junior year, so we put it online. It's a parody of a Christian devotional.

www.calvinspoof.com

There's no costs involved with going online...have you guys considered trying that? I'm working with some other alum to raise funds for this years print version of the parody issue. We put together this site:

http://spoofalum.wetpaint.com/

It's been working out, but I don't think you could do a daily or even a weekly fund-raising in this way.

Anyway, sorry to rant, this is something I care about a lot. If you haven't yet, I'd highly recommend letting the local community newspaper know in great detail why they pulled the plug: all papers have a bias when freedom of the press is involved, and all colleges fear bad PR above all else. Give 'em hell.