Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netbooks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Netbooks

I love my mini 9. I would recommend one; however, Dell no longer makes them! The SDD and RAM are easily accessible, making it easy to upgrade. Also the mini 9 works great with vanilla ubuntu.

I agree with one of the above posters... SSD is the way to go. I would go with the eeepc.

Keep in mind System76's netbook. Unfortunately, they do not offer an SSD.

http://system76.com/product_info.php...products_id=92
    System76 Lemur running Ubuntu 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi!

Theres a Mini 10 on sale here. I spec'ed it above :

Dell Inspiron Mini 10v
    Intel® Atom™-processor N270 (1,60 GHz, 533 MHz, 512 kB cache)
    Intel GMA950
    1GB RAM
    160GB hdd, 5200rpm
    weight: "from 1.2 kg" = 2.65lbs (tho another site said about 3 pounds)
    size: 25.34 mm (front) / 28 mm (back) = 1.0 " / 1.1"
    wide: 261 mm, 10.28"
    Deapth: 182.5 mm, 7.19"

BTW theres also a Dell with built-in TV tuner and stuff that costs like €40 more but it has a "Intel® Atom™-processor Z520 (1,33 GHz, 533 MHz)" could that be an option? I think its in the area of the ASUS (the non-v version of the Inspiron)
    Last edited by ProbablyX; June 6th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Kubuntu 8.04 - KDE 4

Beans

I just got a Dell mini-9 about a month ago, "jade green, 2gb ram" and I was pretty enthusiastic about getting it, and have had good experiences w/Dell since getting my first laptop, way back in 1995, in Austin Texas...

But this time, was quite a bit difference: I had a minor problem w/the wireless not working, and found out the Dell's service was terrible, doing the predictable shuffle all over the world, and back, mostly India, for one afternoon, without really getting help...eventually I sorted it out, on here, and that wasn't the major reason I won't keep mine...

The main reason is the keyboard: I thought it wouldn't bother me as much as it did, but I never could get used to the tiny rthand shift key, and the different placement of other keys...seemed like a small thing when I ordered...but between that, and the abysmal service they provide now, I'd never go Dell again, and I used to always be big fan...so mine's up on ebay right now, bids coming in all week...

I myself, would probably go w/the HP2133, w/ssd, but I'm going to hold off a bit, as I'm really interested in Android OS, that might be coming out later...

Best wishes...
    Last edited by duckfeet; June 6th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12