Page 10 of 543 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

HI can someone tell direct me in the right direction on how to get ubuntu 9.10 running on a acer aspire one 751h with compiz. i curenty run ubuntu 9.04 with compiz and a oveclocked cpu and its the best operating system i have ever used. but i really want to stay up to date. please helppppp

Beans

Hi samusishere,

How did you overlock your Aspire One? I would like to do it in my Aspire.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Just wanted to chime in with my Asus Eee 1101HA. Thanks to all the hard work and this wonderful tuning guide, sammy (and naturally the others referenced and even in this thread) my netbook is no longer a cute, stylish, expensive brick and a slick, crowd-drawing system.

Using Kubuntu 9.10 RC with this guide and the Net Book Remix. Wireless works, suspend works, everything works. Still testing to see if I can get kwin effects working but even if they don't the EXA option was plenty stable and the UXA option thus far seems pretty stable.

No noticeable difference for me doing a mem=896mb for the /etc/default/grub but then it's not like I'm going to be seeing it as a barn burner in the first place. I'm just happy it's all working nicely and it's all thanks to you hard-working folks. Thank you.
    Just a fox, a whisper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
    Ive been running a new config setup. Thought id share it. Haven't had any lock ups yet. AND im getting 130 to 150fps with Compiz Working.

Here it goes. Im going off memory on what I did. You must already have done guide written above.

I Perfer nano to edit. ctrl+o to save and ctrl+x to exit

Open A Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    You should find a line that looks like this (your root UUID and kernel version will/may vary)
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet splash
    Change it to this (bold is to emphasize what needs changing)
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet nosplash mem=786mb
    This tells grub to force the kernel to recognize only 786mb of the installed 1GB, leaving 238mb free for the graphics adapter to use. The “nosplash” option prevents any sexy graphics being displayed during boot. I’m not sure if this is *essential* but it seemed like a good idea?

Now for Compiz.

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/compiz
    press ctrl+w and type whitelist and press enter.

Code:
    WHITELIST=”nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”
    Change it to this:
    Code:
    WHITELIST=”psb nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”
    Now your going to need to edit a line in your xorg.conf file. Doing this will allow for 3d effects.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Find the line

Code:
    Option "DRI" "off"
    and make it look like
     Option "DRI" "on"
    Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

click System -> Preferences -> Appearance and click the Visual Effects tab. I chose “Normal” just to get things started…

Now Hope and Pray? LOL Have fun with it .. Also Check out X.Org Wiki - Home check out there FAQ there on some different options you can do inside your xorg.conf file with the 3d/2d settings.

Also Play with the Memory settings for the Kernel. I just choice a semi round number. I also installed compizconfig-settings-manager to fine tune the compiz setup you might or might not want to try it? Rotating desktop seems to work.
    I have the upgraded 2 gigs of RAM what would you suggest allocating for system/vid use?

I also followed your instructions up to excluding the memory allocation and I am still experiencing random freezes; thoughts?
    . . . go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavements, watch T.V., save for your old age, obey the law. Repeat after me: I am free. --anonymous

Beans

hi, i have a acer aspire one 751h and would like to know if its worth it to upgrade to ubuntu 9.10 or just keep 9.04. i have excellent video performance and dont want to loose that. but if eny of you have good performance with the acer aspire one 751h and ubuntu 9.10. please tell me.

Beans

Sammyboy 405;
    Those are some excellent instructions! Thanks for sharing. I was able to get my GMA 500 equipped Acer A0751 up and running with the 3d acceleration by following your instructions. The only thing I did a little differently is since I used another route to get the Poulsbo function in the first place I had the launchpad repositories on my machine, so I let Synaptic get the 2d/3d driver for me. But otherwise I followed your instructions and everything worked flawlessly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fiamazo View Post
    I've here to say my very truth on 1101ha. I initially installed 9.10 Beta on my 1101ha, and after installing the proper *psb* drivers, I had a somehow working machine. The real problem was that, sometimes and indipendently from the cpu usage, X decided to freeze, showing some sort of distorted "previous" image flickering and dancing ... No way to recover, only reboot helped. BTW, the problem showed up exactly every time I resumed from suspend, just few seconds afterwards ... and only randomly after a fresh reboot.
    Because of that, I decided to give a chance to 9.04. Great, rock solid, I guess I've still to reboot once (after installing psb stuff, obviously ...), I'm just suspending and resuming
    Anyway, I really hope that there will be a standard way in the future to use the Poulsbo drivers also with later kernels, and that Karmic will support GMA 500 chipset in a semi official way (~official ppas).
    Cheers,
    Fiamazo
    I have the same netbook (eee 1101ha) and had that issue for every single release of ubuntu 9.10 kernel, it is the ath9k wifi driver, i have to recompile it everytime (obviously you need build-essential and blah blah):
    Code:
    wget http://wireless.kernel.org/download/compat-wireless-2.6/compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
    Code:
    tar xvfj compat-wireless-2.6.tar.bz2
    cd compat-wireless-2.6
    ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo make unload
    sudo reboot
    everything should work fine after that (sorry for the half-OT)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammyboy405 View Post
    Ive been running a new config setup. Thought id share it. Haven't had any lock ups yet. AND im getting 130 to 150fps with Compiz Working.

Here it goes. Im going off memory on what I did. You must already have done guide written above.

I Perfer nano to edit. ctrl+o to save and ctrl+x to exit

Open A Terminal:
    Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    You should find a line that looks like this (your root UUID and kernel version will/may vary)
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet splash
    Change it to this (bold is to emphasize what needs changing)
    Code:
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-14-generic root=UUID=c34d1d57-59d3-4f6f-abc1-fd83aea4 ro quiet nosplash mem=786mb
    This tells grub to force the kernel to recognize only 786mb of the installed 1GB, leaving 238mb free for the graphics adapter to use. The “nosplash” option prevents any sexy graphics being displayed during boot. I’m not sure if this is *essential* but it seemed like a good idea?

Now for Compiz.

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/bin/compiz
    press ctrl+w and type whitelist and press enter.

Code:
    WHITELIST=”nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”
    Change it to this:
    Code:
    WHITELIST=”psb nvidia intel ati radeon i810 fglrx”
    Now your going to need to edit a line in your xorg.conf file. Doing this will allow for 3d effects.

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Find the line

Code:
    Option "DRI" "off"
    and make it look like
     Option "DRI" "on"
    Now Reboot.

Once Rebooted

click System -> Preferences -> Appearance and click the Visual Effects tab. I chose “Normal” just to get things started…

Now Hope and Pray? LOL Have fun with it .. Also Check out X.Org Wiki - Home check out there FAQ there on some different options you can do inside your xorg.conf file with the 3d/2d settings.

Also Play with the Memory settings for the Kernel. I just choice a semi round number. I also installed compizconfig-settings-manager to fine tune the compiz setup you might or might not want to try it? Rotating desktop seems to work.

sammyboy, I'm using Karmic 9.10, and the file that you specified above ("/boot/grub/menu.lst") doesn't exist on my system. Should I create it or is it somewhere else. I know that Karmic does use a new grub loader, so maybe I need to look elsewhere?

thx,
    russki_drewski
    Last edited by russki_drewski; October 30th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.

Beans

@russki-drewski: It should be in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Beans

By default poulsbo driver did not allow me to run external 1440x900 display at Dell Mini 10 via HDMI port. But, the following Modeline added to "Monitor" Section, solves the issue. If you intend to use a different resolution or different refresh-rate, you need another Modeline.

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    Modeline "1440x900_60.00" 106.47 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 901 904 932 -HSync +Vsync
    EndSection

I generated the modeline using the following command
    "$ cvt 1440 900 60"

For more details see: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Modelines

Page 10 of 543 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast