Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Question UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

Hello again,

is the Netbook Remix 9.10 compatible to Compiz? I mean, is it meant to be used with it or would it somehow make problems? I understand, that the UNR is on top of the normal GNOME interface, so it should be no problem, right?

BTW, why was the "desktop" switcher removed?

Third and final question: is it O.K to run the Netbook Remix on "normal" computers or for example a touch-screen computer or should one install the "normal" Ubuntu and then just get (via Synaptic) the UNR interface? I am a big fan of the interface

Oranges

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Question UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

Hello again,

is the Netbook Remix 9.10 compatible to Compiz? I mean, is it meant to be used with it or would it somehow make problems? I understand, that the UNR is on top of the normal GNOME interface, so it should be no problem, right?

BTW, why was the "desktop" switcher removed?

Third and final question: is it O.K to run the Netbook Remix on "normal" computers or for example a touch-screen computer or should one install the "normal" Ubuntu and then just get (via Synaptic) the UNR interface? I am a big fan of the interface

PS: I apoligize, if this is posted 2x. I couldn't see my other thread, so I made a new one.

Oranges

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

From what was told to me yesterday, UNR is regular Ubuntu with a visual interface makeover, so... it should be compatible with Compiz, as long as you have the hardware to back it up (which most Netbooks, if not all, don't). And it also should run on normal computers since they haven't optimized it for Netbooks yet, due to some bugs on the LPIA, as it appears cataloged as being i386, so... no problem there. But, you can run a LiveCD and test all these things for yourself.
    Last edited by Glucklich; November 1st, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Threads merged

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Talking Re: UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

@Glucklich: Hi, thank you for explaining.

I am already using it on a Laptop with a 15" screen and love it. It has been with minimal problems so far, the only thing that is a bit disturbing, is, that the netbook-launcher sometimes takes 90-100% cpu and needs to be restarted in order to get it back to normal. Besides that, it works great. I am not on the machine right now, but I will post my results in 1-2h and tell you how and if it works with compiz enabled. I tried this a few months ago with UNR 9.04 and the interface got buggy. I assume the same thing though, if it's on "top" of Gnome, it shouldn't be a prob. The hardware to back it up is there

PS: About the Hardware in netbooks: does UNR, or Ubuntu in general, support the new ION netbooks? Does ION hardware work at all?

@overdrank: Thank you

Oranges

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Oranges10e View Post
    I am already using it on a Laptop with a 15" screen and love it. It has been with minimal problems so far, the only thing that is a bit disturbing, is, that the netbook-launcher sometimes takes 90-100% cpu and needs to be restarted in order to get it back to normal.
    That's no good.
    I did some digging and found this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...g-100-cpu.html

Here's a quick explanation of what the command in the end does:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=759309

Basically, it will reset your xserver.xorg. Now, it's your choice.

About the Hardware in netbooks: does UNR, or Ubuntu in general, support the new ION netbooks? Does ION hardware work at all?
    nVidia has been taking Linux into consideration, so... if it is not supported yet, I believe it will be soon. It's about time... decent graphics on netbooks and nettops!
    Last edited by Glucklich; November 1st, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Question Re: UNR 9.10 + Compiz = O.K ?

Hi, thank you. I will try this right away and see how it goes, this isn't dang. or anything, right? It won't impact system stability etc. right?

Yeah, I hear ya, I really, really hope they give us ION support asap. I was planning on buying two ION netbooks and installing Ubuntu on them. Any way to make a wish?

Oranges

Beans
    Hidden!

I will try this right away and see how it goes, this isn't dang. or anything, right? It won't impact system stability etc. right?
    Since so many people replied on that thread and all of them said the same thing, I think it can't hurt. The worst case scenario might be reinstalling UNR... but this is the an absolutely pessimistic exaggeration, since A LOT would have to go wrong for that to happen

In my opinion, that's one of those problems that shouldn't be underestimated and needs a solution. Let me know how that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Hi, I just typed in that command. It just "ate" it up and didn't give me any sort of information if and what it actually did. Nothing happend yet, I'll have to wait and see if cpu usage goes up again or not.

Oranges

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, I just typed in that command. It just "ate" it up and didn't give me any sort of information if and what it actually did. Nothing happend yet, I'll have to wait and see if cpu usage goes up again or not.
    OK. Just out of curiosity, what was the frequency of that event? Was it task related?

If you remember these things, use them to see if this was successful or not. I'll be waiting for your feedback.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast