Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ibus randomly switches to korean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ibus randomly switches to korean

I've been using ibus as my input method for Korean/Hangul for about a year now, and it's always worked fine. However, after doing a fresh install of Maverick, ibus will randomly switch to Korean without me pushing any button. It will also not allow me to add English as an input method, so my key that is designated to switch to Korean is simply used to turn input method on and off, rather than switch between languages.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    Linux Gamer.
    Steam: rudeboyskunk
    Desura: rudeboyskunk
    Add me as a friend. Kill zombies/aliens/nazis with me. ON LINUX.

Beans
    Distro

Re: ibus randomly switches to korean

*bump*
    Linux Gamer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When you refer to "English as an input method", do you mean Ispell? English normally doesn't require an "input method" as such. Admittedly, I've not had random activation of an input method such as what you describe (Ubuntu Maverick).

I use Ibus with Anthy as an input method for Japanese but turn it off (keys assigned in Ibus Prefs; "Enable or diable...") for English.

Could you please more precise,
    what key exactly is it?
    (my key that is designated to switch to Korean)
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ambeginnersearchinginfo View Post
    Could you please more precise,
    what key exactly is it?
    (my key that is designated to switch to Korean)
    Thank you.
    The key is to the right of the space bar. It is the "Han/Yeong" key (Korean: 한/영). I'm not accidentally hitting it, because at first I thought that's what it was, but after some careful attention I noticed that's not what it is.
    Linux Gamer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kumaryu View Post
    When you refer to "English as an input method", do you mean Ispell? English normally doesn't require an "input method" as such. Admittedly, I've not had random activation of an input method such as what you describe (Ubuntu Maverick).

I use Ibus with Anthy as an input method for Japanese but turn it off (keys assigned in Ibus Prefs; "Enable or diable...") for English.
    When I had 10.04, it listed Ispell with a big "E" in the list of languages/alphabets/whatever to switch between as my English option, so I could first turn input on/off by doing ctrl+space, then switch between using Han/Yeong (Korean: 한/영). Sorry for the confusing explanation, it's like 11:30pm here in Korea and I'm ready to go to bed (I'm an American here teaching English...)...
    Linux Gamer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1. There is, supposedly a context sensitive IBus invocation available to apps developers. Not sure whther its relevant but have you noticed what applications are active when the "switching" occurs? Have you tried using:
    im-switch -l
    to determine your IBus setup?

2. You should be able to add EN Ispell from IBus preferences.

3. If you are using English and Hangul only, you could try switching IBus on/off as required using keybd shortcuts
    Last edited by kumaryu; October 25th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I can't install EN Ispell because it's not listed. Under Ibus Prefs, in Input Method, the "Select an Input Method" menu has three options - Korean, Chinese, or Other (under Other is only "compose"). So my only input method that I have installed is Korean - Hangul. So, when I switch between English and Korean/Hangul, I am turning ibus on and off, instead of keeping it on and switching (which I would prefer).

It's all very confusing, I know. It mostly switches when I use Firefox and Openoffice Word Processor (that I know of).
    Linux Gamer.

Thank you for your answer!
    Do you mean the right Alt key also called Alt Gr key by saying "Han/Yeong" key?
    I reviewed the thread and I understand, that you can indeed write Korean characters,
    is this correct?
    I am already trying to get Korean characters (hangul) on the screen using keyboard input for several months without any success, only English. Even if I have Korean system language and Korean keyboard layout as the unique keyboard layout without any English keyboard layout I get only English. I tried everything, Kubuntu 10.04, kubuntu 10.10, I read what ibus and ispell is, what the menue key etc. is,tried all key combinations mentioned anywhere, found ibus as chosen etc., but no result, only English. And there is so little information about language input in ubuntu/kubuntu on the intternet.
    I have no idea what the problem is. I can write Japanese Kana and I tried many other languges successfully, but Korean won't work.
    I don't know, why other languges work and if I do the same thing in order to get Korean there is no effect, only English. I use Kubuntu and KDE.
    I would kindly ask you to give a detailed explanation how did you manage to get Korean characters on the screen by typing on the keyboard.
    Thank you very very much!!!
    Last edited by ambeginnersearchinginfo; October 27th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I haven't used KDE in about 7 years, so I'm not sure how it would work under Kubuntu.

In Ubuntu using Gnome, I go to System>Administration>Languages (or lang preferences, something like that, I'm booted into Windows atm). From there, I just install Korean and make sure all the options under Korean are selected.

After that's finished, I go to System>Preferences>[Keyboard] Input Method and go to Preferences, and select Korean/Hangul as an input method. I then set the 한/영 key (also known as AltGr on some keyboards) as the trigger to either turn ibus on/off or to switch between English and Hangul (which I currently can't do, because it won't list English Ispell as an option to use).

That's how I did it.
    Linux Gamer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast