Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: download torrents from rss feed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

download torrents from rss feed

I currently use transmission to download torrents. It works fine but does not have any rss feed integration. I have tried various other torrent clients, including deluge and vuze, but have found the rss feed plugins too complicated for my simple needs. Basically, I have configured a feed with shows I want to download. All the client has to do is update the feed every few minutes and download all the torrent. I don't need complicated filters or any limits or anything like that. Does such a thing exist?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: download torrents from rss feed

Hi,

If you are downloading podcasts (audio/video) try "Miro". It can be found in Synaptic Package Manager or:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install miro
    in your terminal, and even on the web.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks but I actually use that already. Was looking for something for torrents.

Beans
    Distro

I was checking out Ktorrent on the net, and according to this forum post, rss feeds are supported.
    http://ktorrent.org/forum/viewtopic....3176&hilit=rss

Btw, I can download any torrent through Miro (I just downloaded Ubuntu ISO to double check). I did it by copying and pasting the torrent URL in the menu. The only thing is, if you subscribe to an RSS torrent feed, it asks if it is a audio or video feed. So I'm not sure if it will display any non audio or video items in your feed... but it might. It doesn't have a blocklist though.

As for Ktorrent, I have used it before in Ubuntu. It's pretty good, and it has alot of features. I never tried out the RSS feature, or even knew it had one until now though. It will download and install though Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't mind using Ktorrent (although by the looks of it, it seems just as troublesome as Vuze and deluge), but could someone provide an easy to configure guide. Like I said all I need it to do is download ALL the torrents from a certain rss feed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've found a good solution that will allow me to both use Transmission AND download torrents from an RSS feed.

Transmission has a "watch directory" function. So all I need to do is download torrents from the RSS feed into that "watched directory".

Now I'm not sure how to do this, so help on this matter would be appreciated.

BTW Miro worked great, but I decided I'd rather figure out a way of making transmission work as it is a much better client (IMHO).

Beans
    Distro

Hi,
    Here is a guide for Ktorrent.

Scroll down to:
    Mininova.org RSS/Autodownload and KTorrent on Ubuntu = Ultimate Torrent Setup

http://sproif.com/2008/07/09/mininov...torrent-setup/

I'll see what else I can dig up.
    james.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks a lot for that, very useful. But what do you think of my "simpler" solution?

Beans
    Distro

I don't know, I didn't actually see what you wrote... we were typing at the same time. lol

If you download the .torrent meta-files (whatever they are called) before transmission actually downloads what you want, doesn't that sort of ruin the automated process?

I think I have an idea. Look for a rss news aggregator(?) that will automatically download the attachments. In this case it would be the .torrent meta-files.
    Last edited by ankspo71; September 14th, 2009 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yea that is the kind of thing that I had in mind. The automated process would be some sort of script or program that runs in the background and downloads all the .torrent metafiles into one folder and then transmission watches that directory and then download from that folder.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast