Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to disable gdm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Need to disable gdm

Does anybody know how to disable gdm (gnome) so I can boot to the command line in 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Need to disable gdm

One of the ways is to run
    Code:
    sudo sysv-rc-conf
    in a terminal and remove the X's using the space bar in the line starting with gdm.

Alternatively you can access a console using <Ctrl><Alt><F1> when gdm is running.

Good Luck
    If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.
    Dalai Lama

Beans

I'm afraid that developers have totally mutilated the runlevel system of Ubuntu. Perhaps, playing with /etc/init/gdm.conf might help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

or hold shift down while the systems booting & it brings up the menu
    Desktop : Self built I7 quad core 3.2 based system

Laptop : MSI wind U100

Beans

I've tried /etc/init.d/gdm off but it says upstart doesn't support "off". Any ideas?

Beans

dcc24,

To stop GDM, you have to give the command `stop', not `off':
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    But it will only stop gdm for this session. It will still be started after reboot.

Perhaps, if you edit the file /etc/init/gdm.conf and replace the line
    Code:
    stop on runlevel [016]
    with
    Code:
    stop on runlevel [0126]
    it might work. Cannot check the idea right now, sorry... Or just make some more or less random changes in this script so it would not run GDM I mean, like, change `/usr/sbin/gdm' to `/no/more/gdm'.

Beans

Yeah, but I don't want to "stop" it, I want it off. Before 9.10 "/etc/init.d/gdm off" worked just fine.

But, I guess you're right, messing up the init script seems to be the only way.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dcc24 View Post
    But, I guess you're right, messing up the init script seems to be the only way.
    Try something like:

Code:
    description     "GNOME Display Manager"
    author          "William Jon McCann <mccann@jhu.edu>"

start on (runlevel [3]
              and filesystem
              and started hal
              and tty-device-added KERNEL=tty7
              and (graphics-device-added or stopped udevtrigger))
    stop on runlevel [0216]
    to start gdm only if you switch/boot to runlevel 3 and stop it in runlevel 2.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html

Quote Originally Posted by dcc24 View Post
    Yeah, but I don't want to "stop" it, I want it off. Before 9.10 "/etc/init.d/gdm off" worked just fine.
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it. I've used Sisco's suggestion of typing sudo service gdm stop. It works good enough for me. I know I said that I needed to disable gdm to boot up to the command line but it seems I'll still be able to do whatever I have to do. But if I need to permanently disable gdm, I will try those suggestions about modifying the gdm.conf file or the init scripts.
    Last edited by linuxuser9999; October 30th, 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Need to disable gdm

For admins who actually use the power of runlevels and /etc/init.d this thing called Upstart is just a cruel joke!

It seems they want to make us either 1) custom edit all those pseudo-scripts to teach them how to obey runlevels, or 2) always boot the box the same way.

Is that correct? Am I missing something?

What is the "advantage" in a server environment?

Is it is possible to NOT use Upstart in 9.10?

Can it be uninstalled without totally destroying the system? (NO- researched this. Uninstalling it would uninstall most of the GUI and applications - can YOU say dependency?)

It seems Upstart is related to highly-dynamic computers - like laptops - with all the "event driven" whiz-bang stuff. But that it is totally irrelevant to a server and is the wrong paradigm for that environment. Worse - there does not appear to be a way to use the notion of a runlevel without customizing all the Upstart stuff - making the box harder to maintain.

For instance - who decided that if a box has XWindows installed that it will ALWAYS be run regardless of how the /etc/rcN.d is setup? Or that's it's OK to blindly stomp on configuration with a one-size-fits-all upgrade?

As far as I'm concerned this is media and toy driven and has no place in a production environment. Are there any alternatives to Upstart with Ubuntu?
    Last edited by rockney; November 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast