Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Need to disable gdm

Beans

Re: Need to disable gdm

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Yes. Ctrl-Alt-F1 and You're in tty1. Then try to stop gdm, once You're out of tty7 where You're running gdm. Can't stop gdm while in gdm...
    I risking to look bad right now...

but i don't get anything with Ctrl-Alt-F1

it's not like something is changing

i'm in gdm - i should open a terminal? ... press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (should something change?). If i press Ctrl-Alt-F2 there should be a diff?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gottijr View Post
    I risking to look bad right now...

but i don't get anything with Ctrl-Alt-F1

it's not like something is changing

i'm in gdm - i should open a terminal? ... press Ctrl-Alt-F1 (should something change?). If i press Ctrl-Alt-F2 there should be a diff?
    Ctrl-LeftAlt-F1.

Beans

My problem is pretty closely related, I do not want to start gdm but get a useful text mode but keep the option to start gdm.

Starting grub with "text" instead of "quiet splash" made the splashscreen disappear but now I get a black screen and nothing else. No text mode login, just black all over.

If I then start gdm and kill it again then I get a beautiful textmode.

Any ideas?

Beans

Hi Crass,

What version of Ubuntu and what version of GRUB do you have installed? The output of the following commands will answer these questions:

Code:
    $ lsb_release -a
    $ dpkg -l | grep grub
    My Top Bugs - Launchpad Profile - Wiki Page

Appreciate what the severe effort of many converging wills has produced.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by komputes View Post
    Hi Crass,

What version of Ubuntu and what version of GRUB do you have installed? The output of the following commands will answer these questions:

Code:
    $ lsb_release -a
    $ dpkg -l | grep grub
    I decided to reinstall the final release before going deeper into detail. Now I have Lynx final, problem stays the same.

From what I found out the text console is actually there, just invisible. I can log in blindly and start gdm, works fine.

Checking out /var/log/syslog shows several pages of the following log message on every reboot, even without starting gdm:

Code:
    May  2 17:53:36 boni kernel: [  600.520434] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_NOTIFY - nSource: PATCH_EXCEPTION, nStatus: INVALID_STATE PROTECTION_FAULT
    May  2 17:53:36 boni kernel: [  600.520460] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: PGRAPH_NOTIFY - Ch 0/3 Class 0x004a Mthd 0x0c08 Data 0xc97b00b0:0x00000000
    and finally

Code:
    May  2 17:53:36 boni kernel: [  600.520530] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Setting dpms mode 1 on vga encoder (output 0)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crass Spektakel View Post
    Code:
    May  2 17:53:36 boni kernel: [  600.520530] [drm] nouveau 0000:01:00.0: Setting dpms mode 1 on vga encoder (output 0)
    I found help at Freedesktop, testing right now:

Quote Originally Posted by Freedesktop
    The noaccel parameter is a Nouveau module parameter, so either pass it to the nouveau module on load (modprobe.conf), or if nouveau is built-in, nouveau.noaccel=1 on kernel command line. Your X uses the Vesa driver? That will screw up the card, if Nouveau is loaded. Either use Nouveau DRM with Nouveau DDX, or no Nouveau at all with Vesa DDX.
    Last edited by Crass Spektakel; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567