Thread: Remote Webcam with Android Phone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Remote Webcam with Android Phone

I have a logitech webcam (which works flawlessly with skype, etc.) on my ubuntu PC and I was wondering if there are any apps that allow me to view the camera feed on my Android phone.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Remote Webcam with Android Phone

You could possibly try android-vnc-viewer in connection with VNC in Ubuntu, but you would have to have a window open with the webam's display and I imagine the framerates would be awful to the point that the entire ordeal might be completely infeasible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm really confused

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    I'm really confused
    Confused? Could you specify what you're confused about?

The suggestion is simple: have a program such as Cheese open on your Ubuntu desktop, and use android-vnc to view the desktop remotely so that you can see what Cheese is displaying. Whether or not this will work (or work well) is a completely different question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Alternatively, you could install motion (in repos, apt-get install motion) which is a daemon that runs a little web server with a live feed from your webcam. It also has the option to save frames or video when motion is detected (hence the name, "motion"). I actually had it running with a Logitech usb cam on an old NSLU2 and it worked quite well.
    "By entering this room, you agree to forfeit your own soul rather than negotiate with the mortal residing therein." -xkcd 501

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ergosteur View Post
    Alternatively, you could install motion (in repos, apt-get install motion) which is a daemon that runs a little web server with a live feed from your webcam. It also has the option to save frames or video when motion is detected (hence the name, "motion"). I actually had it running with a Logitech usb cam on an old NSLU2 and it worked quite well.
    Sounds like the best option.

Beans

motion does run all the time in the back ground
    just a heads up for you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which app would one use to access motion?

Beans
    Distro

It's a live feed, so you'll need to access http://[YOURIP]:8081 from your Android. Beware of dynamic IP addresses that some broadband providers use (your IP might change over time).

You can test to make sure you have it working right by navigating to http://localhost:8081 on a browser on the machine (if you haven't started motion yet, you'll need to do so by going to a terminal, typing "sudo motion" minus the quotes, and pressing enter).