Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Karmic Koala on Acer 1410 / 1810T/ 1810TZ

Beans

Re: How to: Karmic Koala on Acer 1410 / 1810T/ 1810TZ

Hello,
    I’m the owner of the PackardBell dot/mu 020.
    All the isue describe here seem’s the same than mine. Especially the fan control who is realy terrible*!
    Do you think I can use your tips ? What is the max température for such a processor*?

[EDIT] :*I tried acerhdf (last version is 0.5.22, you should change it in the first post) and it works great but only when I’m on battery, nothing change when I’m on ACPower.

Last question*:*my bios is a v0.3108. Do I need to update it ? Do you know how to upgrade it under linux (i don’t have windows at all)*? I search a lot but no result, I’ll be able to catch a update bios for this computer but a windows Vista installer
    Do you think I can use an acer one ? How*?
    Sorry for all this questions but it’s the first place I found on the net where I can find help.

Regards,
    Olivier.
    Last edited by omne; December 23rd, 2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: I’ve tested it !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The script also isn't running for me. I've messed around with several directories in the hopes that I would find one that is actually used:
    Code:
    /etc/pm/sleep.d
    /etc/pm/power.d
    /etc/power/scripts.d
    /etc/power/event.d
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d
    /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d
    I also went ahead and made the folders
    Code:
    /etc/acpi/battery.d
    /etc/acpi/ac.d
    and put my script in there.

My script is set to dump a file in my home dir so I know that it's been run. It hasn't yet. I unplugged and re-plugged my laptop, and the gui displays, showing that it knows the battery state has changed, but the script doesn't run.

(Plugged in)
    Code:
    root@phaff:~# acpi -V
    Battery 0: Charging, 29%, 02:50:50 until charged
    Battery 0: design capacity 4387 mAh, last full capacity 4169 mAh = 95%
    Adapter 0: on-line
    Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
    Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 92.0 degrees C
    Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 82.0 degrees C
    Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 7
    (On Battery)
    Code:
    root@phaff:~# acpi -V
    Battery 0: Discharging, 29%, 01:10:16 remaining
    Battery 0: design capacity 4387 mAh, last full capacity 4169 mAh = 95%
    Adapter 0: off-line
    Thermal 0: ok, 53.0 degrees C
    Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 92.0 degrees C
    Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 82.0 degrees C
    Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 7

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cong06 View Post
    The script also isn't running for me.
    […]
    My script is set to dump a file in my home dir so I know that it's been run. It hasn't yet. I unplugged and re-plugged my laptop, and the gui displays, showing that it knows the battery state has changed, but the script doesn't run.
    Can you show us your script ? I’d like to have a dump in order to know if the script run here.

A notice one thing, if I do a :
    Code:
    sudo echo 10 > /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
    in my terminal, it return me an error. Is this normal ? Is there something I can do to see the output of the script ?

(Happy Christmas everybody !)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by omne View Post
    Can you show us your script ? I’d like to have a dump in order to know if the script run here.
    It doesn't need to be too complicated. Something like this:
    Code:
    date >> /home/cong06/dump
    was all I used.

Maybe I'll change it later though, to do this:
    Code:
    echo "`date +"%b %d %H:%M:%S"` $HOSTNAME $0 just ran" >> /var/log/messages
    Basically dumping a properly formmatted "message" log line, kinda like this:
    Code:
    Dec 24 13:47:39 phaff /etc/script/path just ran

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cong06 View Post
    Maybe I'll change it later though, to do this:
    Code:
    echo "`date +"%b %d %H:%M:%S"` $HOSTNAME $0 just ran" >> /var/log/messages
    Ok, I added
    Code:
    echo "`date +"%b %d %H:%M:%S"` $HOSTNAME $0 just ran AC power" >> /home/nemo/dump
    At the end of the AC power part
    and the same with battery in the battery part.
    And I don’t even have a « dump » file created in my home. Sad.

The battery icon refrech well.
    Do you uncomment the wifi part*? I did it, after installing the last proposed modules from ubuntu.

Beans

Hi ive tried ur tips and most of them are working well for me. only with the after the fan issue (wich solves the problem oft the loud fan) the left side of my netbook is too hot for my sense. any idea?
    thx and merry xmas

Beans

Hi!

I have a new Aspire 1810TZ, i made all the modifications but when i made the "sudo modprobe acerhdf" it returns:

Code:
    .../acerhdf_kmod$ sudo modprobe acerhdf 
    FATAL: Error inserting acerhdf (/lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/acerhdf.ko): No such device
    The out of the dmesg

Code:
    [ 1689.601122] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.21
    [ 1689.601132] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v0.3115, please report, aborting!
    [ 1768.412328] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.21
    [ 1768.412338] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v0.3115, please report, aborting!
    [ 2814.750949] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.21
    [ 2814.750960] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v0.3115, please report, aborting!
    [ 3116.541381] acerhdf: Acer Aspire One Fan driver, v.0.5.21
    [ 3116.541391] acerhdf: unknown (unsupported) BIOS version Acer/Aspire 1810TZ/v0.3115, please report, aborting!
    what could i make?

thanks and merry christmas =D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by n4txo View Post
    Hi!

I have a new Aspire 1810TZ, i made all the modifications but when i made the "sudo modprobe acerhdf" it returns:

Code:
    .../acerhdf_kmod$ sudo modprobe acerhdf 
    FATAL: Error inserting acerhdf (/lib/modules/2.6.31-16-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/acerhdf.ko): No such device
    Did you modify the source code of acerhdf to fit your bios as explain in the first post ? You should allso go here*:*http://www.piie.net/index.php?section=acerhdf and take the last reales : 0.5.22 (not 0.5.21).

Beans

Ok, I’ll be able to have the script to run. I found the solution in the Netbook Review forum here :*http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=434638 (this post : http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...1&postcount=35)

It seem’s that when one running gnome, the /etc/acpi/power.sh unable all power scripts other than gnome-power.
    The solution is to comment the /etc/acpi/power.sh like this*:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

test -f /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants || exit 0

# . /usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs

# if [ -z "$*" ] && [ `CheckPolicy` = 0 ]; then
    # exit;
    # fi

pm-powersave $*
    There’s a bug repost here*: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ls/+bug/387057

In this thread you can although find a script to check if the script work (didn’t test it yet since I’m not on this forum).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there,

sorry for not coming back earlier. As many of you have reported, the script doesn't seem to execute properly, and this is because of the ubuntu kernel. I've been running some custom compiled .31 kernels and all have run fine. My personal guess, is it could be wmi related, the acer-wmi is built as a module and can be blacklisted, but wmi is built into the kernel. It should do no harm, but it seems it does. Not sure why, though.

For the ones who are having troubles with acerhdf, keep in mind the acerhdf that ships with ubuntu won't work, since it lacks definitions for the 1810 and most 1410. Just follow the fan steps carefully, it's just download the acerhdf sources, edit the .c files and make and install as written. It's not hard. If it's not working, it's because of your bios version, do the mod as explained and it will work.

Patrick
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast