Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: How to: Karmic Koala on Acer 1410 / 1810T/ 1810TZ

Beans

Re: How to: Karmic Koala on Acer 1410 / 1810T/ 1810TZ

I'm on an 1810tz with ubuntu 10.04 64bit and Skype 2.2.025-1lucid1 and Skype is working fine.

I solved my mic problems with:

I think the main problem was that my internal mono mic is recognised as a stereo mic and the default setting cancel the signal out.

I installed pavucontrol with Synaptic and started it in a terminal.
    In output devices I set the front left to 90% and the front right to 10%. (This way the mic doesn't cancel the signal out) You have to play with the buttons to be allowed to change both value independently.

(I'm pretty sure I found this solution somewhere on the net, but at the moment I don't remember where ... )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nab View Post
    I think the main problem was that my internal mono mic is recognised as a stereo mic and the default setting cancel the signal out.

I installed pavucontrol with Synaptic and started it in a terminal.
    In output devices I set the front left to 90% and the front right to 10%. (This way the mic doesn't cancel the signal out) You have to play with the buttons to be allowed to change both value independently.
    Yup, that works -- thanks!

One correction, however: you can set the INPUT device Left and Right channels separately after unlocking pavucontrol's linking of the two by clicking on the appropriate button. I set one channel to zero and the other to 80% and the mike seems to work decently enough (even if there's still a fair bit of background noise when using Sound Recorder). But this workaround leaves the OUTPUT settings in stereo balance -- and that's a good thing.

NOTE: if using a version of Skype whose options include a checkbox enabling Skype to take over the volume setting, make sure it's unchecked. Otherwise Skype will immediately screw up the input volume settings you've just taken the trouble to configure in pavucontrol (which, BTW, shows up as 'Pulseaudio Volume Control' in Ubuntu's Applications -> 'Sound & Video' menu).

Beans

Hi,
    Has anybody made any experience with Ubuntu 11.04? Currently I'm running Ubuntu 10.10 and would like to upgrade.
    Thanks!
    Regards, Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm not on 11.04 but I did get word from piie (Fan fix patch author) and he said his patch was merged into kernel 2.6.36. Since 11.04 is shipping with kernel 2.6.38 (last I saw) the fan problem should be gone.
    If great minds thought alike, there would only be one kind of everything!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

it depends on the bios... I have the latest one and I have to compile it. The laptop is working fine, all excepte compiz, which crashes a lot.
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Finally upgraded to Natty. Despite now being on kernel 2.6.38-11-generic, which should include the fan module, the fan is now running high again. So I tried to re-install acerhdf, but get this message:

Code:
    xxx@xxx:~/Downloads/acerhdf_kmod$ sudo modprobe acerhdf
    FATAL: Error inserting acerhdf (/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic/kernel/drivers/platform/x86/acerhdf.ko): Invalid argument
    so I tried to run the whole powersaving script InstallAcer_11.6_PowerSaving.sh again, but get this after the disclaimer about warranty, etc...

Code:
    Unrecognised option, aborting...

patrick.voegeli @ gmail dot com
        PatrickVogeli at ubuntuforums.org and forum.notebookreview.com
    What mistake am I making here? Have I forgotten a step (or two) in the install? (very possible since I had locked down my last version of Lucid and not done anything in Ubuntu (except use it) for a long time. Or does the script simply not work for 11.04 since it shouldn't be needed?

thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone had trouble compiling the acerhdf module on lucid 64 bit with the latest kernel update (2.6.32-35-generic)? I get this error on make:
    Code:
    gotit@Ubuntu-Netbook:~/ACER Fan Control/acerhdf_kmod$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.32-35-generic/build  SUBDIRS=/home/gotit/ACER Fan Control/acerhdf_kmod modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-35-generic'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `Fan'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-35-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    I'm booting to kernel 2.6.32-34 until I can get this resolved. Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gotit View Post
    Has anyone had trouble compiling the acerhdf module on lucid 64 bit with the latest kernel update (2.6.32-35-generic)? I get this error on make:
    Code:
    gotit@Ubuntu-Netbook:~/ACER Fan Control/acerhdf_kmod$ make
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.32-35-generic/build  SUBDIRS=/home/gotit/ACER Fan Control/acerhdf_kmod modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-35-generic'
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `Fan'.  Stop.
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.32-35-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2
    I'm booting to kernel 2.6.32-34 until I can get this resolved. Thanks!
    Looks like 'make' doesn't like spaces in filenames (as in the case of your directory "ACER Fan Control". Remove those spaces!

Beans
    Distro

@bruceliz
    Ah, yes, must remember the basics...
    That was it, thanks much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there all,

I just wanted to say that I no longer use or develop that script. I've recently switched to Debian Squeeze and have also started working, so I don't have much free time and I'm not planning to do any further fixing or improvements to the script.

Of course, if somebody wants to continue developing, fixing or improving it, feel free to do so, be it in this thread or starting from zero in a new one. I'll be glad if the existing one can serve as a base to do even a better one.

Patrick
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast