Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I disable bluetooth on boot up?

Beans

How do I disable bluetooth on boot up?

I have a Dell Studio 1555 and want to have bluetooth turned off at startup but still be able to turn it on when I need it. I've read several suggested methods, but they all seem to be specific to other brand notebooks.

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction, please?

BTW, disabling the bluetooth applet in Startup Applications does not accomplish what I desire. I want the bluetooth/network manager applet to run at startup, I just want the bluetooth turned OFF at startup.
    I'd rather die fighting lions than being trampled by geese.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How do I disable bluetooth on boot up?

go to System > Administration > Bluetooth option? what ubuntu version are you using? if your are not using 9.10/karmic, you may want to try System > Administration > Services to uncheck bluetooth or
    Code:
    sudo service bluetooth stop
    ..or you may want to insta BootUp Manager in karmic to disable them...
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare

Linux User #484611 | Ubuntu User #26153 | Blog

Beans

I'm running Karmic amd64. If you mean System/Preferences/Bluetooth, that only controls when the icon is displayed in the panel, not whether bluetooth is on or off. I can uncheck bluetooth service in System/Administration/Services, but I'm not certain if that will actually turn my bluetooth hardware OFF or simply turn off the software that manages it.

I want my bluetooth hardware itself to be turned off when I'm not using it so it won't be draining my battery. Unfortunately I do not have a physical switch to control it and the Fn key that controls it controls BOTH my wireless adapter AND the bluetooth. I use wireless all the time but bluetooth only sometimes.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shawnboy View Post
    I'm running Karmic amd64. If you mean System/Preferences/Bluetooth, that only controls when the icon is displayed in the panel, not whether bluetooth is on or off. I can uncheck bluetooth service in System/Administration/Services, but I'm not certain if that will actually turn my bluetooth hardware OFF or simply turn off the software that manages it.

I want my bluetooth hardware itself to be turned off when I'm not using it so it won't be draining my battery. Unfortunately I do not have a physical switch to control it and the Fn key that controls it controls BOTH my wireless adapter AND the bluetooth. I use wireless all the time but bluetooth only sometimes.
    mmm...i don't know any,,,because in windows, its pretty much the same, you disable the interface/service...so disabling the service it self will prevent bt from using at all, thus like turning it off...

mmm,,,the fn button should really have functioned in windows if you have one...disable it in windows (because there functions the fn combo), then return to ubuntu,,,but this is only assuming you are in dual boot...

have you tried going in the bios if the bluetooth option is available? some do have options in it to disable them...

Beans

Use rfkill if you use ubuntu 9.10.
    to stop it:

sudo rfkill block bluetooth

unblock:
    sudo rfkill unblock bluetooth

The settings are remembered on reboot. This is soft blocking, anytime you want just unblock it. I made a script that toggles it on/off (and the same with wireless).

rfkill list

shows the available options.

Beans

I could modify the scripts for you if you send me the output of

rfkill list

in a terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    I could modify the scripts for you if you send me the output of

rfkill list

in a terminal.
    oh, does this kill the process/service, or disable the whole interface? thanks, didn't know there is one,,,learned something new...

sorry i couldn't be of help....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by konqueror7 View Post
    oh, does this kill the process/service, or disable the whole interface? thanks, didn't know there is one,,,learned something new...

sorry i couldn't be of help....
    This disables (soft blocks) the interface.
    The toggler script disables it if enabled/enables it if disabled.

I need the output because i dont know if the output order is the same. The script uses "rfkill list" output parsing by line numbers to keep it simple (and to my knowledge ). If you send me that output i can modify the script to suit your laptop. Then you can make a launcher on menu or taskbar on which when you click, it toggles the device on/off.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
    This disables (soft blocks) the interface.
    The toggler script disables it if enabled/enables it if disabled.

I need the output because i dont know if the output order is the same. The script uses "rfkill list" output parsing by line numbers to keep it simple (and to my knowledge ). If you send me that output i can modify the script to suit your laptop. Then you can make a launcher on menu or taskbar on which when you click, it toggles the device on/off.
    i'm not the one who got the problem,,,

but good thing to know that a better solution is available...

Beans

konqueror7, changing bluetooth settings in the bios wouldn't accomplish what I want. I'd have to reboot and change back in the bios when I needed bluetooth and I don't want to have to do that.

gradinaruvasile: I'm on a dif machine right now, but I will get that info to you. I would appreciate your helping me out with that script. Thanks in advance.

Shawn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast