Beans

Re: MAC Magic Mouse on Ubuntu 9.10

I all,

Yesterday I installed multitouch:

Code:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chasedouglas/multitouch
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install multitouch-kernel-source
    I was able to work perfectly with mouse and with scrolling. But after 2-3 reboots the mouse began to be very jumpy/jittery making it impossible to use so I have uninstalled multitouch-kernel-source.

Is there any update on this so scrolling works on Magic Mouse?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I experienced the crazy mouse jumpiness when using the xorg-edgers repository, namely the xserver-xorg-input-evdev package. Removing that gets me usable behavior out of my magic mouse, albeit with slow scroll speeds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just to confirm: uninstalling and then reisntalling xserver-xorg-input-evdev did work for me.

I have made an sudo remove xserver-xorg-input-evdev, then rebooted. Ubuntu didn't show up the login screen because when you do a remove of this package it also remove xserver-xorg-core...

So I have to enter in "recovery mode" and make a sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-core and voillà, my magic mouse is working again.

Thanks for the help, Twiggy794.

Beans
    Distro

So are there any projects out their actively working on the true multitouch features of the device? I'd love to get two-finger scrolling working, and optimally get my 3-finger and 2-finger swipe bindings setup that I use in OSX. I definitely would be interested in doing some of the hacking myself, but it's not something I'm familiar enough with to get started on my own.

Beans

This is not working at my system. I only removed the 'xserver-xorg-input-evdev' package (sudo dpkg --force-depends --remove xserver-xorg-input-evdev). After reboot my keyboard was not working any more in the xorg. So I reinstalled the package in the recovery mode. Now everything is woking fine, but not the Magic Mouse.

Probably it depends on another package you removed?

Best
    Markus

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by schmidberger@gmx.at View Post
    This is not working at my system. I only removed the 'xserver-xorg-input-evdev' package (sudo dpkg --force-depends --remove xserver-xorg-input-evdev). After reboot my keyboard was not working any more in the xorg. So I reinstalled the package in the recovery mode. Now everything is woking fine, but not the Magic Mouse.

Probably it depends on another package you removed?

Best
    Markus
    When I removed xserver-xorg-input-evdev I had to replace a ton of packages. A quick fix might be to remove the xedgers repo and reinstall the multitouch packages, or try this:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-all
    $ sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-all
    I'm recalling this from memory so the package names might not be entirely correct, but I would assume you just inadvertently removed a necessary package for the Magic Mouse when you removed evdev.

Beans

Just try installing the ubuntu-desktop package.

Beans
    Distro

There were two updates on xorg-edgers in the last week or so. Has anybody tried them? Giving them a go now.

Edit: Nevermind, they were for Maverick.
    Last edited by Twiggy794; July 1st, 2010 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy794 View Post
    So are there any projects out their actively working on the true multitouch features of the device? I'd love to get two-finger scrolling working, and optimally get my 3-finger and 2-finger swipe bindings setup that I use in OSX. I definitely would be interested in doing some of the hacking myself, but it's not something I'm familiar enough with to get started on my own.
    What is two-finger scrolling with magic mouse?

I have made some preliminary testing for getting inertia scrolling and swipe gestures, but I don't have anything useful yet. As always, lack of time makes sure this is going forward really slowly. I have made my changes by modifying the kernel module which makes things little bit complicated, but I have no idea how to get the data in user space.

Of course it would be nice to get the pixel scrolling also, but there is lot of problems to get it working without breaking the traditional line scrolling.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by inflintor View Post
    What is two-finger scrolling with magic mouse?

I have made some preliminary testing for getting inertia scrolling and swipe gestures, but I don't have anything useful yet. As always, lack of time makes sure this is going forward really slowly. I have made my changes by modifying the kernel module which makes things little bit complicated, but I have no idea how to get the data in user space.

Of course it would be nice to get the pixel scrolling also, but there is lot of problems to get it working without breaking the traditional line scrolling.
    How were you going about doing this? I know nothing about building an Xorg driver.

As for two-finger scrolling, this would effectively mean that A) the entire surface of the mouse is scrollable and B) it treats two fingers like one, so mouse acceleration isn't doubled as a result of the second finger.

I spent a little time today chatting with Chase Douglas on his build system for his multitouch kernel repo and have forked it on Github. I have a patch merged into my master branch that I found here (github.com). I've been using this patch for a few weeks and while the acceleration needs tweaking, it works well. It will allow you to use the entire surface of the mouse for scrolling, as well as enable horizontal scrolling. An amd64 package is attached below.

If you're feeling REALLY hardcore, I have backported Chase Douglas' commits to the Maverick kernel source tree. I'll tell you now, these don't work. They crash my machine after the desktop loads (and presumably the bluetooth service initializes). I'll be looking into the bugs later this week hopefully, but any assistance would be more than welcome.

Here's the link to my repo: http://github.com/scottferg/multitouch
    And here's another link to the amd64 package: http://github.com/downloads/scottfer...ce_1.5_all.deb
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast