Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disconnect USB ports in sleep mode

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Disconnect USB ports in sleep mode

Doesn't it automatically unmount when you shutdown?

Beans

Personally, I don't trust mine to. I'm not interested in having to replace 260 GB of data because the unmount took too long in shutdown and the OS forced it to shut off. But yes, it should.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fair enough, but arguably, if you feel that the OS isn't good enough to accommodate a robust auto-unmount system then it's probably not robust enough to do proper copies, writes, reads, etc. etc. You get my point right?

Anyway little of topic!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    Fair enough, but arguably, if you feel that the OS isn't good enough to accommodate a robust auto-unmount system then it's probably not robust enough to do proper copies, writes, reads, etc. etc. You get my point right?

Anyway little of topic!

Anyone else have any ideas?
    Not at all. I don't trust any OS to auto-unmount properly on shutdown. Whether it be Linux, Mac, or Windows. Especially Windows.

I really think your best solution is to use Hibernate after unmounting your external. Unmounting ought to make the wake up process faster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    Not at all. I don't trust any OS to auto-unmount properly on shutdown. Whether it be Linux, Mac, or Windows. Especially Windows.

I really think your best solution is to use Hibernate after unmounting your external. Unmounting ought to make the wake up process faster.
    I was talking more generally about external hard drive usage. I mean if, as you say, you don't trust the OS to auto-unmount then why do you trust it to properly write the data? (I'm not talking about different OSes here, just using the term generically).

Beans

I was talking more generally about external hard drive usage. I mean if, as you say, you don't trust the OS to auto-unmount then why do you trust it to properly write the data? (I'm not talking about different OSes here, just using the term generically).
    I trust the OS to auto-unmount just fine. I don't trust it to not force kill the process if it's taking too long or locks up during shutdown.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your problem is you're using an active USB hub. The hub don't know the laptop is in suspend, therefore the power stays on. What I would do is see if there's such a thing as a "smart" hub. I don't think a script will cut the power in your case.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No offence but if you'd read above you would have noticed that I was specifically talking about the fan and small external hard drive which are NOT connected through the hub. I don't really mind the hub staying on. But I don't want the HD and fan to always stay on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No offence but if you'd read above you would have noticed that I was specifically talking about the fan and small external hard drive which are NOT connected through the hub. I don't really mind the hub staying on. But I don't want the HD and fan to always stay on.
    My USB on my laptop turns off on suspend. I've tried to charge my phone and it's a "no go". It's odd that yours don't turn off, cause suspend is only supposed to provide power to RAM and the blinking light.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Have a look at this:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...b-port-613304/

In particular, post #8 (I know post #5 says it's not possible but I'd still try this):

power off:
    Code:
    echo suspend >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2/power/level
    power on:
    Code:
    echo auto >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-2/power/level
    replacing 1-2 with the appropriate port number

If /sys/bus/... as above doesn't exist, it might still work if you can find the right location.

If this does work, you can incorporate it into the suspend and resume process (I've seen posts about that before) but obviously try it manually first. Probably needs 'sudo echo...' to get the necessary permission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast