Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Installing Linux on a Toshiba A505-s6033

Beans

Workaround

Check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301101&page=8

It's for a different laptop that's presumably suffering from the same issue and the steps get my A505 booting without any additional kernel options.

Beans

Re: Installing Linux on a Toshiba A505-s6033

bump.

I just got this laptop as well and I tried installing this. I did a little bit of research on the same problem. It installs fine, except for the wireless driver working. I believe that it is using a realtek driver 8192se series. That wasn't my major concern...

The _major_ problem is with the X server, the restricted proprietary driver from nvidia (185.18.x series I believe is what I was using), and the way IRQ was being handled. It loops at login and just flashes the login screen.

Upon further research, I read the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and read that the display screen wasn't being detected. I tried importing the .bin file for the EDID through windows 7. The file is :

SEC3041.bin

I added this to my xorg.conf file but still no solution. I went into safeboot option (I think it's the repair option... I'm having a brain fart right now).

From there, I tried to enter in the startx command manually. I got my log message with the error:

NVIDIA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
    "Default Screen" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
    (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
    (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
    (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
    (II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
    (II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA kernel module does not appear to be receiving
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): interrupts generated by the NVIDIA graphics device
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): PCI:1:0:0. Please see Chapter 8: Common Problems in the
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): README for additional information.
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
    (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    (II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
    (II) UnloadModule: "fb"
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help.
    Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

From there, I changed grub with the boot option pci=noacpi

Didn't solve that either. Any suggestions anyone? I can post additional information as well (I can get my xorg.conf file as well later on). Please advise on what I need to do next, even if it includes posting more info. Thanks!

Beans

Update:

I booted with the noapic parameter and it got me to the login screen. Now it doesn't crash until after you enter in a login.

It will seem like it's booting, then it will hang before it gets into gnome.

Beans

For anyone who wants to know....

I switched out the nvidia driver and swapped back in the nv driver..

That fixes it for the most part...

Now to fix the wireless and the fact that the USB ports dont work.

Beans

I'm running *mostly* good with a vanilla 2.6.33 kernel patched with this patch:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=23958

I boot with the "nohpet" option to get rid of one of the stack traces while it's booting.

and Nvidia driver version 195.36.08 (the version that's reported to cause overheating on Windows machines...don't think it's a problem on laptops, though).

Wireless works *ok* with the driver from Realtek until I get more than 40 feet from my router then it get's a little flaky.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've got this same laptop, and - after a weekend of extensive research, banging my head against the wall, and almost re-installing ******* on it - I've finally succeeded in getting the following working:

• NVIDIA GeForce 310M graphics card.
    • RealTek RTL8191SE-VA2 wireless network card.
    • WebCam
    • USB

Here's some step-by-step instructions (for Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala). Note that you need an Internet connection - most likely through a wired connection.

1. Following a clean install, update all of your packages to the most up-to-date versions:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    2. Make sure you have some required packages installed. These are needed to build some of the required drivers:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install build-essential ia32-libs
    3. Now edit the default GRUB settings. This is done for two reasons: firstly, so that you can get to a recovery console to fix any boot problems that you may subsequently experience (also needed to install the NVIDIA driver) and secondly to change a Kernel Parameter that, all by itself fixes most of the problems running Linux on this machine.
      1. Edit the file (I use nano to edit system files - feel free to use vi or emacs or whatever):
        Code:
        sudo nano /etc/default/grub
      2. Comment out the line that defines GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT by placing a '#' at the start of the line. This tells GRUB to show you a menu at boot time, which allows you to select a recovery console later.
      3. You should also see a line with the following contents:
        Code:
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
        Edit this line so that it reads:
        Code:
        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=noirq"
        All by itself, this fixes most of the problems with the machine. It appears that the i7 processor does some funky stuff with the IRQ signals, causing problems for many of the hardware devices under Ubuntu.
      4. Save the modified file (Control+"O" + RETURN to save, Control+"X" to exit in nano) and then have grub update its configuration with the command:
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
    4. OK. Now let's get that problematic NVIDIA card working. Go to the NVIDIA web-site and download the latest driver. If you have installed the 64-bit (AMD64) variant of Karmic, use the first link - otherwise use the second:
      64-bit Ubuntu: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...195.36.15.html
      32-bit Ubuntu: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...195.36.15.html
      I'm going to assume that this file is downloaded into the "/home/someuser/Downloads" directory.
    5. Restart your machine. When the GRUB menu appears, select the recovery mode for the most recent Kernel version installed (second option from the top, typically). The machine boots and eventually brings up a menu. Select the top menu option (resume). This will bring you to a console login - log in.
    6. When you get to a command prompt, issue the following command to install the NVIDIA drivers:
      64-bit Ubuntu:
      Code:
      sudo /home/someuser/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.36.15-pkg2.run
      32-bit Ubuntu:
      Code:
      sudo /home/someuser/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.15-pkg1.run
      (Check the version numbers to ensure they match the version you downloaded. Also don't forget to replace "someuser" with your user name. )
      Follow the instructions in the installer to build the driver, install it and generate your "xorg.conf" file accordingly.
    7. IMPORTANT: You now need to edit the "xorg.conf" file to add a couple of lines:
      1. Code:
        sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      2. Locate the "Device" section and add the lines indicated in red below:
        Code:
        Section "Device"
                Identifier      "InternalCard"
                Driver          "nvidia"
                Option          "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
                Option          "CustomEDID" "DFP-0: /proc/acpi/video/NGFX/LCD/EDID"
        EndSection
      3. Save the modified version of the file.
    8. Now reboot your machine to activate the NVIDIA driver. (Let the GRUB menu time-out so that it boots normally). If all has gone well, you should see the NVIDIA logo appear before getting to the X login screen.
    9. Login as normal. Now we're going to get the wireless driver running. Download the driver from the RealTek web-site:
      http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...Downloads=true
      Select the any of the site numbers for the Linux driver for kernel 2.6.X option.
    10. Now build and install your wireless driver:
      Code:
      cd /home/someuser/Downloads
      tar xvzf rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0015.0127.2010.tar.gz
      cd rtl8192se_linux_2.6.0015.0127.2010
      make
      sudo make install
      sudo modprobe r8192se_pci
      And you're all set!
    11. Enjoy your new laptop running Ubuntu! You should find your USB ports and web-cam are now working too!

Beans

To the above, I will try this tomorrow. Thank you for your reply, and let's pray it works for me too =] Also you mentioned for people getting a 32-bit version of the Ubuntu, I don't think anyone who got this laptop would go with a 32-bit version... just for clarification purposes, maybe u should edit it to only follow 64-bit? But otherwise, GREAT guide.

Beans

AFAICT, the guide is enough to get the laptop "operational" but power management will be an issue.

A bit more work, but if you would like to have working power management look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1301101&page=8

Replace the kernel patch they mention with this one:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=25669

And boot the new kernel with the option "acpi=copy_dsdt"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that.

Since my last posting, I have encountered a few problems: occasionally I get an error on start-up stating: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 61s!. I could only get around this by restarting the machine.

Also, I get errors Hibernating the machine, which is annoying.

I'll try out the kernel patch you refer to - which looks very promising! Power Management is definitely something that shouldn't be ignored...

Beans

Simulator- Thank you for the giude, it helped me with getting the nvidia drivers to work.

I switched the noapic flag i was using to the acpi=noirq and it gives me problems with IRQ and the USB ports ONLY in recovery mode... Scary to think about.... but thank you nonetheless, I have not started on my wireless driver nor the power management part on this. But it definitely is a start! I will continue on this as well.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast