Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dekstop Compatibility Issues

Beans

Re: Dekstop Compatibility Issues

When we first started discussing nVidia, I went to their site and the GTX 285 is one of a few that caught my eye. I looked and it runs on the 190 driver so I don't think you'll have any trouble with it.

You are absolutely correct in not accepting my opinion alone. (Besides the fact that I'm right. I'm always right. It's part of my divine sinister plot. Beeoowwaauuhhahaaahahahaaaa!!!!!)
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

DX 11 support is a slight issue for me as well as the 285 does not support it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    DX 11 support is a slight issue for me as well as the 285 does not support it
    I think the 295 does but that ones a bit pricey.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    When we first started discussing nVidia, I went to their site and the GTX 285 is one of a few that caught my eye. I looked and it runs on the 190 driver so I don't think you'll have any trouble with it.

You are absolutely correct in not accepting my opinion alone. (Besides the fact that I'm right. I'm always right. It's part of my divine sinister plot. Beeoowwaauuhhahaaahahahaaaa!!!!!)
    Reviews seem to suggest that the ATI HD 5850 is much cheaper, runs DX 11 and is either just as good as the GTX 285 (some reviews) or better (other reviews).

Up till now everyone has recommended the HD5850 as the best one to get RIGHT now. nVidia may release DX 11 cards later this year but it’ll probably be at least another year before they are affordable anyway.

One thing I have learnt is that unless there is something incredible about to be released there is no point in always waiting around for tech. Every 3-4 months a company is about to release something new anyway so what is the point.
    With that in mind while I appreciate your comments and taking into account that linux support is important, I don’t think it’s worth getting:

a) An inferior card (as some reviews suggest)
    b) A more expensive card
    c) Something that doesn’t support DX 11

All for the sake of better Ubuntu support. It is important to me, but not enough that I’m going to compromise in other departments.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think the 295 does but that ones a bit pricey.
    Yes that is way out of my price bracket!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

assuming that your buying the card for basic use with in ubntu and basic gaming in windows 7 (nothing majorly draingin like crysis) why go wiht a card like that anyway, ive got a 9600gt that works wonders in my distro and for gaming, but yes the 285 is an excelent card, and there right, ati cards are a major headache....its generaly not worth it
    Computer Specs:
    ----1gb DDR1 SDRAM
    ----Intel Celeron D 3.06ghz
    ----Nvidia 6200 GT Gigabyte

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've just been informed that comparable nVidia cards (compared to the ATI HD5850) are not as good and way overpriced. Would you agree?
    Currently, any NVIDIA card is better than 5850.
    If this were the case I would be stuck using Windows 7 until there is better support for ATI.
    Then you might be sticking with Windows a long time.

Beans

Well, there you have it. Four? of us have recommended nVidia. (You see, I told you I'm always right!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, there you have it. Four? of us have recommended nVidia. (You see, I told you I'm always right!)
    I’m really struggling here. I love using Ubuntu and have been using it for about 4 years now (basically since I got my laptop). I have everything set up and it’s great. However, there are always hiccups. I have posted on these forums many times about how I always find there is something not working. For example, this morning my girlfriend called on skype and she could not hear me as the mic was not working. I couldn’t get it to work so I had to restart the computer. I’m sure similar things happen in Windows (and Mac). Anyway it’s a very difficult decision for me as I have everything set up just the way I like it in Ubuntu.

But, here is what I will do. I will buy the ATI HD 5850 see how Ubuntu works out (and if I can get drivers for everything). If things seem broken I am afraid I will have to become a Windows man (as much as I loathe myself for turning to the dark side).

Beans

Now young Skywalker...you will die.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast