Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dekstop Compatibility Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Dekstop Compatibility Issues

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    My laptop weighs 10 lbs. and the battery will go 45 minutes if I'm lucky.
    Is that your way of saying life sucks? haha

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    Is that your way of saying life sucks? haha
    Actually, it's my way of saying I don't give a flying crap about the batteries' life sucking.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans

A Corsair HX850? Are you planning on running SLI or crossfire? Even if yuo are, 750watts shopuld be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    I'd go to nVidia's site and choose 4 or 5 of approximately the same performance and research which one works best in Ubuntu. From what I understand, nVidia has a small edge in the "Raw Horsepower" department.
    Not now they dont....see here (or half a doxen other benchmarking sites)-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5850,2433.html

You will find the odd game where the HD5850 is beaten by the GTX285 (fastest single GPU nVidia card now, the GTX295 is 2x 275s at 260 speeds). But once you crank up the AA/AF and/or resolution the HD 5850 comes back.

But wait a bit for the GTX470/480 release (slated for march) and maybe that will change again. I'd probably try to hold off untill then, the GTX2xx cards will drop in price a fair bit, and its possible...probable? that ATI pirces will drop as well.

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    DX 11 support is a slight issue for me as well as the 285 does not support it
    None of the nVidia cards do right now. Wait for the GTX470/480...again.

I wouldnt worry about DX11 myself, its not like there are going to be _any_ DX11 only games for a few years. Its not that much better than DX10/10.1 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mickie.kext View Post
    Then you are setting yourself for a failure. HD5850 will not work before Ubunutu 10.10. It is not like GTX260 can't run games.
    Pffft! to that. The drivers are already up on the ATI site. As well they should be, really, its been a few months. As to how well the drivers work, that might be a different question....

From the way that nVidia dropped the ball on the GT230, GTS240/250 and GTX275 (that one is fixed now) I wouldnt place any bets on the GTX4xx drivers being that brilliant on release either.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    A Corsair HX850? Are you planning on running SLI or crossfire? Even if yuo are, 750watts shopuld be enough.

Not now they dont....see here (or half a doxen other benchmarking sites)-

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5850,2433.html

You will find the odd game where the HD5850 is beaten by the GTX285 (fastest single GPU nVidia card now, the GTX295 is 2x 275s at 260 speeds). But once you crank up the AA/AF and/or resolution the HD 5850 comes back.

But wait a bit for the GTX470/480 release (slated for march) and maybe that will change again. I'd probably try to hold off untill then, the GTX2xx cards will drop in price a fair bit, and its possible...probable? that ATI pirces will drop as well.

None of the nVidia cards do right now. Wait for the GTX470/480...again.

I wouldnt worry about DX11 myself, its not like there are going to be _any_ DX11 only games for a few years. Its not that much better than DX10/10.1 anyway.

Pffft! to that. The drivers are already up on the ATI site. As well they should be, really, its been a few months. As to how well the drivers work, that might be a different question....

From the way that nVidia dropped the ball on the GT230, GTS240/250 and GTX275 (that one is fixed now) I wouldnt place any bets on the GTX4xx drivers being that brilliant on release either.
    I may run XFire later (as in upgrade). So, I'd rather prepare for it now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 (64bit) and using an ATI HD 5850 and the latest drivers from ATI. No problems. Video for movies seems excellent. I don't have any hi-res games I can run on it, so can't report anything there.

Beans

i have a 5770 and running 64 bit lucid. i have the following problems - delay in maximizing windows. video is choppy/stuttering in maximized window.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bossdak View Post
    i have a 5770 and running 64 bit lucid. i have the following problems - delay in maximizing windows. video is choppy/stuttering in maximized window.
    Hello,

I am planning on buying the 5750 very soon. I too am running 64bit Lucid on my nvidia 7600GT. Did you have flawless video playback in maximized window and flawless maximize effects before purchasing this card?

I currently have dual head setup perfectly with no problems playing maximized 720p and no problems with compiz effects.

Do compiz effects work for you? Which driver do you use?

-Zero

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234