Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching from UBUNTU to WINDOWS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Switching from UBUNTU to WINDOWS

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    Amarok has a Windows version but I don't think it's out of Beta yet. The obvious choice for iPod is iTunes.
    Oh really? Didn't realise?

But yea I think iTunes is a good idea for the iPod...but hopefully it can manage my 10,000+ library.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Open office works fine in windows. No reason to spend the money on MS office if you have been successfully using OO up to now.

I second lovinlinux' suggestion to dual boot.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mwcrowley View Post
    Another vote for dual booting. Gaming doesn't really present security issues, but general web browsing and email do. When you want to be productive use Ubuntu, when you want to play games, just reboot to XP.
    Do all the latest games work on XP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Add another voice to the dual-boot chorus! It's the way to go in my opinion.

For protecting your Windows installation, have a look at Comodo Firewall Pro and Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus/malware. Both are lightweight, free and shouldn't cause much hassle. Personally, I'd opt for the most basic possible installation of Comodo skipping the "Defense+" feature or whatever it's called; it tends to nag otherwise and in Windows 7 you already have UAC doing that.

I've also heard the inbuilt Windows Firewall is better than it was under XP, but I don't know enough about it to recommend it.

With all that said - dual-boot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dual boot!

I have Win7 installed strictly to play Team Fortress (never could it to work all that great with Crossover)

pricetech is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I concur with those who suggest dual booting.

Open Office works in winders and it's all I use.
    Pidgin works great also.
    Avast for Anti Virus.
    Zone Alarm for a personal firewall assuming you actually need it. If you have a decent firewall in your router, that should meet your needs.

Beyond that, just keep winders updated.

Best wishes however you proceed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Dual-boot vote here as well.

I am on the reverse side of the coin, I plan on leaving Windows on my home computer. That doesn't apply at work, where we use XP so I have to keep that foot in the Windows world.

However, the more I learn about Linux (mostly to the credit of the Ubuntu Community), the more I want to jump in 100%. I think for me personally, I will always have to stay up to date with Windows because career-wise, the majority of work I do or want to do is Windows-related.

But if gaming is the major incentive to switch back, I would simply use Linux for everything else, and then dual-boot to Windows for gaming.
    Linux user #502908

"1 + 1 = 3, if you define 3 as being the result of 1 + 1"

Beans

I agree with the dual boot option. You are already quite comfortable in Linux, it seems. If you want Windows primarily for gaming then use it for that. As far as I know, most of the new games won't run or, at least, run very well in XP.

(Please oh please don't leave us!)
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    Kommodo is possibly too good. I used it for a week in XP about 3 years ago. It refused to remember my settings, dropped my internet access by about 90% by denying me from going to most sites, and cut my up and down speeds to a crawl.
    I don't know any Kommodo firewall, but Comodo works like a charm. Besides, it has changed a lot since Vista and lately with Windows 7 release. I guess you should try it again, if you still use Windows.

I have tested and used several free firewall applications for Windows and Comodo was superior to all of them. I still use it on my Windows instalaltion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    Personally, I'd opt for the most basic possible installation of Comodo skipping the "Defense+" feature or whatever it's called; it tends to nag otherwise and in Windows 7 you already have UAC doing that
    You can install it and disable it from Comodo taskbar if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by M1ke View Post
    I've also heard the inbuilt Windows Firewall is better than it was under XP, but I don't know enough about it to recommend it.
    Yes, it is a lot better, but I still prefer Comodo.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast