Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Switching from UBUNTU to WINDOWS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Switching from UBUNTU to WINDOWS

I have to say that after 4 years I'm surprised that anyone would want to switch back just for games.
    My experience was like this.

Used windows for years, (since it's very beginnings)
    Decided when vista came out that I didn't like it, its philosophy, and licensing restrictions.
    Learned Linux, (had some serious headaches)
    Now Ubuntu feels like a perfectly tailored suit, a warm cozy blanket, with adventure gear.
    Windows feels like a cold itchy potato sack with wooden clogs, with bottle caps for glasses.

For games I use a dual boot, and for times when work requires MS office I dual boot. However 99.9% of time is spent in Ubuntu or some version of Linux.
    Last edited by SonicSteve; February 10th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

BTW, if you want a media player, I would recommend GOM or KMPlayer. They are both really good. KMPlayer has TV card support.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    I don't know any Kommodo firewall, but Comodo works like a charm. Besides, it has changed a lot since Vista and lately with Windows 7 release. I guess you should try it again, if you still use Windows.

I have tested and used several free firewall applications for Windows and Comodo was superior to all of them. I still use it on my Windows instalaltion.
    Typo on my part, sorry.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by warfacegod View Post
    Typo on my part, sorry.
    Np. I just lost a few minutes trying to find if you were talking about a different firewall, because Comodo is really an excellent one.

Do all the latest games work on XP?
    1) I would not count on it. Even if they do now, the newer versions may not in a year or two.

2) Security is better in Windows 7 than XP.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

AVG Free for Virus Protection

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Np. I just lost a few minutes trying to find if you were talking about a different firewall, because Comodo is really an excellent one.
    I was thinking of the actual Kommodo Dragon when I typed that. I'm sure it's a great firewall but I found far too constrictive for my taste. When I used it, I was at the very end of my transition to Linux anyway so I didn't bother trying to configure it too much.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Hidden!

Comodo's firewall is great. Yes, it can give you a lot of confirmation popups when you first use it, but would you rather have something that doesn't ask (and blocks things you want and allows things you didn't know about)?

Comodo antivirus is not so good. Not bad, but lacks control and is not as polished as the firewall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm in exactly your situation - got a powerful gaming rig, came with Win7. I now use Ubuntu almost exclusively, booting into Windows only for gaming - and some games I can run with Wine anyway!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for all the feedback:

Media Player - DoubleTwist looks pretty good as I have an Android phone as well. Has anyone used this before?

Dual Booting: The only reason I am considering switching from Ubuntu is merely because I have been told that ATI support is bad.

Like I said my plan is to buy the PC (specs here: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BVzh4eHc&hl=en). Install Win 7 and then install Ubuntu 9.10 and SEE what the situation is like. If my display gets stuck at 800x600 then clearly I won't be using it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast