Thread: gui windows wont resize correctly

Beans

gui windows wont resize correctly

i will occasionally open a gui program, for example an ip address calc and a dvd burning program, and the bottom of the window is cut off by the screen;
    the screen size is put on the most applicable, detectable screen size;
    on both a netbook with a small rectangular screen and an older desktop with CRT monitor that is square;
    i could see both of these having issues beyond my own user-stupidity, so i thought i would ask:
    how do i get to the bottom of the window to see very crucial info?
    i hover the mouse on the top until it changes to a horiz bar, but it wont drag down;
    i hover mouse on bottom but it wont change to bar/arrow;
    i hover on corners to make an angle bar/arrow but it will only resize horizontally;
    i right click the top border and hit "resize" but it will only resize horizontally;
    ???????????????
    this, as well as getting my touchpad settings to stay the same after poweroff have been the bane of my existence

edit: sometimes these posts are simply echo chambers for me to listen to my own ineptitude;
    i found how to save the touchpad settings, but the other would be great help

re-edit: i did not actually fix the touchpad, but i have posted elsewhere so as to not cross-post...
    Last edited by bboyreason; April 24th, 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: gui windows wont resize correctly

Quote Originally Posted by bboyreason View Post
    i will occasionally open a gui program, for example an ip address calc and a dvd burning program, and the bottom of the window is cut off by the screen;
    the screen size is put on the most applicable, detectable screen size;
    on both a netbook with a small rectangular screen and an older desktop with CRT monitor that is square;
    i could see both of these having issues beyond my own user-stupidity, so i thought i would ask:
    how do i get to the bottom of the window to see very crucial info?
    i hover the mouse on the top until it changes to a horiz bar, but it wont drag down;
    i hover mouse on bottom but it wont change to bar/arrow;
    i hover on corners to make an angle bar/arrow but it will only resize horizontally;
    i right click the top border and hit "resize" but it will only resize horizontally;
    ???????????????
    this, as well as getting my touchpad settings to stay the same after poweroff have been the bane of my existence

edit: sometimes these posts are simply echo chambers for me to listen to my own ineptitude;
    i found how to save the touchpad settings, but the other would be great help

re-edit: i did not actually fix the touchpad, but i have posted elsewhere so as to not cross-post...
    I have this problem too, although so far I've only noticed it in GNOME Color Chooser. I can't change my scheme back to the one I had, and it changed itself randomly. Grr. Any ideas?
    I am a brand new convert to Linux.

Best. OS. Ever.