Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Log off Password ??

Beans

Re: Log off Password ??

Must be a sql server or something working cause I see the HDD light flash ever so often... Virus or logger maybe???

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnowSnake View Post
    OK here is what I get (my name is Don by the way LOL)

don@don-desktop:~$ who
    don tty7 2010-03-10 09:28 (:0)
    don pts/0 2010-03-10 12:23 (:0.0)
    don@don-desktop:~$

Does this help??
    Your tty7 login is your graphical display and the pts/0 login is your original boot-up one. Try choosing "logout" instead of "shutdown" in the graphical display; this should take you back to the login screen. Then hit ctrl-alt-F1 to get to the original session, and you should see a command prompt. Type "sudo shutdown -h now" and hit enter. You'll be asked for the password because of the "sudo" command, but it should shut down normally. Give it a few minutes for everything to spin down, then boot up again, and after you log in, try shutting down. If it's still asking for a password, then something is not quite right in your configuration; have you enabled automatic login? Have you disabled the "gdm" service so that the system boots into command line mode?

You can also try doing the logout, then choosing "shutdown" at the login screen. This should work without requiring any password.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

[QUOTE=JKyleOKC;8946935]Your tty7 login is your graphical display and the pts/0 login is your original boot-up one. Try choosing "logout" instead of "shutdown" in the graphical display; this should take you back to the login screen. Then hit ctrl-alt-F1 to get to the original session, and you should see a command prompt. Type "sudo shutdown -h now" and hit enter. You'll be asked for the password because of the "sudo" command, but it should shut down normally. Give it a few minutes for everything to spin down, then boot up again, and after you log in, try shutting down. If it's still asking for a password, then something is not quite right in your configuration; have you enabled automatic login? Have you disabled the "gdm" service so that the system boots into command line mode?

You can also try doing the logout, then choosing "shutdown" at the login screen. This should work without requiring any password.[/QUOTE

Well I tried both ctrl-alt-F1 did nothing at all same as the shutdown at login screen.. Nothin at all hmmmm

Beans

Ok I tried the Ctrl-alt-f1 after I logged back in then did the sudo shutdown -h now

And This seems to have worked......Im very happy....BIG SMILE

Here it comes.........................But why did it work and what the hell was it?? ................Maybe someone can figure that out..

THANKS A TON GUYS JKyleOKC your my new hero

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

But why did it work and what the hell was it??
    At this point all we can do is make an educated guess as to what caused it. Linux was designed from the start as a multi-user system, so the kernel code keeps track of all the users that are logged in. If for any reason you log in twice, the kernel tracks that as two different users. You can prove this by using ctrl-alt-F2 to launch a second terminal, logging into the resulting command-line interface, then using the "top" command to check the number of users. It'll be one more than you normally see if you run "top" from a terminal window inside the normal Ubuntu graphic interface.

My guess is that somehow in the course of your experimenting, the internal tracking data got itself changed, so the system "knew" it had two users even though both of them were you. This could have happened weeks ago and the system held onto the (bad) tracking data from one session to the next.

The reason things began working after the shutdown was that the "double logout" (once from the GUI and once from the command line) cleared the internal tracking data and forced it to start over with a clean slate.

The ctrl-alt-F1-6 trick is handy to know about in case you ever get the system apparently frozen up; it lets you log in again, and from the new session you can (using sudo) force the program causing the original problem to stop running, or even if necessary force a shutdown without risking file system damage that can result from using the power-off button to recover! I'm glad it worked this time.
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; March 11th, 2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add possible explanation for the problem's persistence
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

Well It work for about 4 or 5 log-offs then came back like a bad cold.
    So my guess is it is alien forces at work.... I didnt do anything to cause it I simply checked my mail and played a little urban Terror (I know I know Im too old 4 that)..

And Now its back...

Wow

Beans

Unhappy Re: Log off Password ??

Quote Originally Posted by JKyleOKC View Post

Linux was designed from the start as a multi-user system, so the kernel code keeps track of all the users that are logged in.
    But Ubuntu is the only distro having such a stupid behaviour preventing shutdown when users are logged in. No such thing in Debian, Slackware or other distros.

And that's another pw asked to user.

It's really incredible!!!

Beans

Unhappy Re: Log off Password ??

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? You normally need only one password to use Ubuntu, and that is your username password that you chose at installation time.
    Ok, but the problem is that this password is asked to me again and again, and is is terribly anoying (and stupid)

I login on MY laptop, in my house - no other users. So ask a password.

I launch synaptics to add software - a password again.

I change my network configuration - heres another password

Add a printer? password asked.

I had to shutdown? another password asked

and so on (now i can't rememner every time a password was asked to me, but it was a real PAIN)

And for that we have 4 o 5 DIFFERENT softwares doing the same damn thing - we have the normal UNIX password (that in my opinion is sufficient for everything), the PAM system, the SU/SUDO stuff (locked by pam!!!), the KEYRING stuff, and we had also the PolicyKit (it was eradicated now, or I'm wrong?). That's *INSANE*.

And also, we have a lot of stupid questions asked to users, e.g. closing a terminal: "Close this terminal? There is still a process running in this terminal. Closing the terminal will kill it". In Italian we say: "E STI CAZZI?"? I'm the owner of my system, I know there are process running, because this is UNIX, not Windows. and I don't need anyone telling me stupid things.

Or the 60 seconds delay on shutdown - I want shutdown, not a shutdown delayed in 60 seconds.

We need to *educate* people in using their computer - not to guide them as stupid people not knowing what they're doing. It's a matter of learning unix, and not having things locked and blocked and prevented by some process "a la windows". In this way, Ubuntu create users without knowledge of what's going on on their systems. This is bad, because UNIX is another thing, and such a user in front of a Debian system will have a totally different feedback.

Beans

Ok heres my 9 beans worth..I hate windows I started with CPM (really old guy here)
    I grew up with the software of Mr.Gates and Jobs But now Im very happy to have the super GUI of a great OS.. So any little thing like this will not kill my passion for that Great Finlander.. That been said I need more beans... And I need a way to modify when I have to enter passwords for lets say "Mounting Devices, Log off,etc" and other non OS threating operations... Again any ideas.

++++PS Asbesto Your 100% correct. and I don't even read Italian..+++

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok heres my 9 beans worth..I hate windows I started with CPM (really old guy here)
    I grew up with the software of Mr.Gates and Jobs But now Im very happy to have the super GUI of a great OS.. So any little thing like this will not kill my passion for that Great Finlander.. That been said I need more beans... And I need a way to modify when I have to enter passwords for lets say "Mounting Devices, Log off,etc" and other non OS threating operations... Again any ideas.

++++PS Asbesto Your 100% correct. and I don't even read Italian..+++
    if you want to mount your devices without passwords, just add them in /etc/fstab file. They will be always mounted.

But don't make windows from linux - it's useless
    IBM Lenovo Thinkpad R500: Ubuntu 10.10 (KDE) x86 & Windows 7

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast