Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

I have an Inspiron 1501 running Lucid, and the only way I can put my machine into a low power state is by suspending with Fn+Esc. Anything other method of suspending or hibernating, including closing the lid, requires a hard reboot to get going again.

The truth is that there are just too many machines out there with too many different configurations (software AND hardware). Even buying a Dell 15n wouldn't work, because upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04 would break stuff. There will never be a unified solution for simple and frequently used functions like suspend and hibernate in any distribution of linux, and a workaround that works for some people just isn't going to work for others with the same hardware configuration. It's baffling, confusing, and a turn off.

That being said, I still use Ubuntu because what else am I going to do with the remaining 51 GB on my hard drive? That, and Windows costs money to run because commercial AV software works better than free stuff...and believe me, I've tried the free stuff. It's crap.
    Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN, 120GB SATA (Windows 7/Ubuntu Precise dual boot), 2GB DIMM DRAM, SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Removing SD card worked for me - dell inspiron 6000.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jondodson View Post
    I have an SD slot? (Leans over and checks) Oh! I do! That's cool.

Seriously, I hardly use that thing. It's empty unless I'm logged into Windows for pictures, videos, or syncing my Sansa Fuze with my library.
    Dell Inspiron 1501, AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-53, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, Broadcom BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN, 120GB SATA (Windows 7/Ubuntu Precise dual boot), 2GB DIMM DRAM, SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Hi,

I have resume from suspend/hibernate troubles too. Looks like the video just doesn't resume.

The machine is Latitude e4310. i5 core with integrated Intel graphics with 4GB RAM. I've got a generous swap partition (~ 10 GB). I have a dual install with one of Windows on it (can't recall which).

Things I've tried following this thread:

1. Remove dummy SD card from reader.
    Result: Problem persists.

2. Add:
    resume=/dev/[SWAP Partition] to /etc/default/grub (then sudo update-grub)
    (I found the SWAP partition using the disk utility.)
    Result: Problem persists.

Not sure: Does it matter where I place this line?

3. Add "nomodeset" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX in /etc/default/grub (then sudo update-grub)
    Result: Problem persists
    + a very bad idea overall! I then lost video on reboot. I had to use my install USB, mount my system under media and clean /boot/grub/grub.cfg to remove 'nomodeset' for at least one system. Then I could boot into my machine revert /etc/default/grub to as before and run update-grub. (I could edit /etc/default/grub when booting from USB but not run update-grub as it wouldn't find some paths..)

I've been following too many different threads since I installed 10.04 afresh on that machine and couldn't rely on suspend/hibernate.

I'm a newbie and I just don't get it. Am I missing something? Like a wiki page addressing this apparently pervasive and persistent issue or a thread that collects all relevant threads?

thanks for any input

Beans
    Distro

I just tried it again, and resuming from suspend to RAM causes a partial crash of X (some programs open as white screens, like the Terminal), and a reboot causes a kernel panic. Therefore, full shutdowns are my only option. I wonder if shutting down and restarting put more wear and tear on a drive than sleeping...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jondodson View Post
    This worked for me, too! Thanks - Asus x83 - now I just have to reconnect to the internet after suspend but that's a lot better than having to reboot...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This really is beyond annoying. I have been using nix for 2 decades and ubuntu since 5.xx. I have filed a bug report and followed the threads' trying all of the fixes. Even loaded to a new partition so I could start fresh after all of the hacks I have tried.

There is more to this than meets the eye as I have tried puppy, dream, and mint. No suspend or resume on those either. So it looks more like a kernel issue.

I am at this moment doing the unthinkable and loading win7 as the primary OS as I need my laptop to suspend (and resume). For several years I have only used win$ for customer support, running it in virtualbox. Thank goodness my desktop does not need to suspend.

Hibernate does work but it is faster to boot fresh than to reload from hibernate.

Hmmmmm looks like sleep is ghosted in windows as well. Nope it works after updating ati driver. So now to load ubuntu inside win on my usb.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snesreviews View Post
    Don't know why this has been marked as solved when there are lots of people still having the same issue...

Anyway I found an old thread which had a solution to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875529

So I tried s2disk from the command line and it worked great, but adding them to that script doesn't seem to work (assumingly Ubuntu decided they wanted to ditch that convention). I later discovered that hitting the hibernate button doesn't seem to touch this script - it seems to execute /sbin/pm-hibernate. So big dirty fix was simply to back up your existing script and point it to s2disk instead:

sudo mv /sbin/pm-hibernate /sbin/pm-hibernate.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2disk /sbin/pm-hibernate

And to do the same for suspend (slightly different as it may require --force for some machines)

echo -e '#!/bin/bash\n/sbin/s2ram --force' > ~/s2ram.sh
    chmod a+x ~/s2ram.sh
    sudo mv ~/s2ram.sh /sbin/
    sudo mv /sbin/pm-suspend /sbin/pm-suspend.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2ram.sh /sbin/pm-suspend

And magically it works fine. Wish I just did that instead of the None / Extras fix - went and zapped a lot of my cool compiz settings

Anyway just putting it out there in case it's of use to anyone else
    Thanks! You are a genius! So far (knock on wood) this is working for me. I've been going round and round with this little netbook for two weeks now (for this and other problems) but this makes it finally usable. Thanks again...

And for those w/ 10.04, the hal scrips have been replaced with dbus (so I've been told), so the new scripts are located in /etc/acpi folder, there's a sleep.sh and a hibernate.sh. I made new ones to call s2ram but it would not work from the gnome menus or when closing the lid, but this fix works like a charm.

BM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by blur xc View Post
    Thanks! You are a genius! So far (knock on wood) this is working for me. I've been going round and round with this little netbook for two weeks now (for this and other problems) but this makes it finally usable. Thanks again...

And for those w/ 10.04, the hal scrips have been replaced with dbus (so I've been told), so the new scripts are located in /etc/acpi folder, there's a sleep.sh and a hibernate.sh. I made new ones to call s2ram but it would not work from the gnome menus or when closing the lid, but this fix works like a charm.

BM
    I have only one minor, minor, issue- when resuming form suspend or hibernate, its as if the screen gets locks and needs the user to enter the password, which is weird, because when I rung s2ram or s2disk from the command line, when it resumes it doesn't ask for a password.. I'd like to disable that if at all possible. I'm sure it has something to do with the way Ubuntu or Gnome handle resuming...

Anyway, thanks again-
    BM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snesreviews View Post
    Don't know why this has been marked as solved when there are lots of people still having the same issue...

Anyway I found an old thread which had a solution to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875529

So I tried s2disk from the command line and it worked great, but adding them to that script doesn't seem to work (assumingly Ubuntu decided they wanted to ditch that convention). I later discovered that hitting the hibernate button doesn't seem to touch this script - it seems to execute /sbin/pm-hibernate. So big dirty fix was simply to back up your existing script and point it to s2disk instead:

sudo mv /sbin/pm-hibernate /sbin/pm-hibernate.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2disk /sbin/pm-hibernate

And to do the same for suspend (slightly different as it may require --force for some machines)

echo -e '#!/bin/bash\n/sbin/s2ram --force' > ~/s2ram.sh
    chmod a+x ~/s2ram.sh
    sudo mv ~/s2ram.sh /sbin/
    sudo mv /sbin/pm-suspend /sbin/pm-suspend.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2ram.sh /sbin/pm-suspend

And magically it works fine. Wish I just did that instead of the None / Extras fix - went and zapped a lot of my cool compiz settings

Anyway just putting it out there in case it's of use to anyone else
    had to change the paths to /usr/sbin to make it work on 10.04

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast