Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Beans

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Good news !!! Now both Suspend and Hibernate are working in my laptop. I installed drivers for the 'Extra' option under 'Change Desktop background' - 'Visual Effects', this is the change i made in Ubuntu apart from regular updates through 'Update Manager'. I usually test suspend and hibernate options atleast once in 2 days and after the above changes it started working. Still not 100% sure if the driver installation fixed the problem, but it's worth trying this.

Please note: After enabling 'Extra' option, I switched back to 'None' option due to occasional screen flickering issue with 'Extra' option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I dont know if this is the same issue which everyone else seems to have, but whenever i tell ubuntu to suspend or hibernate, it locks the screen instead.
    the same thing happens when i shut the laptop lid...
    However mine isnt freezing up..
    I really would like a fix to this because it means i have to shut down every time i wwant to save my battery charge...

Im using a Samsung NC10 by the way..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SyAu View Post
    Good news !!! Now both Suspend and Hibernate are working in my laptop. I installed drivers for the 'Extra' option under 'Change Desktop background' - 'Visual Effects', this is the change i made in Ubuntu apart from regular updates through 'Update Manager'. I usually test suspend and hibernate options atleast once in 2 days and after the above changes it started working. Still not 100% sure if the driver installation fixed the problem, but it's worth trying this.

Please note: After enabling 'Extra' option, I switched back to 'None' option due to occasional screen flickering issue with 'Extra' option.
    I had been having trouble with suspend and was getting quite frustrated. I gave the "Extra" option a shot; it worked! Suspend failed since my last update but worked after setting this option. Thanks for the workaround.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have two laptop machines, both running 10.04. One's an IBM x31s, the other a Lenovo X61s2. Neither of them will suspend or hibernate; they both produce a black (but illuminated) screen which can't be then recovered to a usable state.

Both machines have swap files of 1.7gb. This is more than the 750mb memory on the x31, but less than the 4gb memory on the x61s2.

I'll watch this thread with interest, as suspend and hibernate are useful functions (and work fine on XP on both machines).

BUT, in the meantime, can someone give me some more information on the "Extra" upgrade, as mentioned by xinix and SyAu? I can go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and choose "Extra", but this doesn't make any difference (neither does it attempt to install more drivers, which SyAu suggested it would.) Isn't this related to CompizConfig as well? (Which I have installed on both machines.)

Oli.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zcacogp View Post
    I have two laptop machines, both running 10.04. One's an IBM x31s, the other a Lenovo X61s2. Neither of them will suspend or hibernate; they both produce a black (but illuminated) screen which can't be then recovered to a usable state.

Both machines have swap files of 1.7gb. This is more than the 750mb memory on the x31, but less than the 4gb memory on the x61s2.

I'll watch this thread with interest, as suspend and hibernate are useful functions (and work fine on XP on both machines).

BUT, in the meantime, can someone give me some more information on the "Extra" upgrade, as mentioned by xinix and SyAu? I can go to System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects and choose "Extra", but this doesn't make any difference (neither does it attempt to install more drivers, which SyAu suggested it would.) Isn't this related to CompizConfig as well? (Which I have installed on both machines.)

Oli.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I love you dude.
    It worked.

Beans

Well, you lost me there..."switched back to none" basically disables the "Extra" option. I'm not sure why it worked for you, but I'll give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

after enabling extra options, i try to update using update-manager, then it showed me some packges to be downloaded n installed. Its updated, and then i tried this resume thing, n it worked with out any problm, then i switchedback that visual thing to normal mode, which i was using before. And still its working!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Very strange! This workaround also worked for me!

Dell Studio 15 ( 1558 )
    ATI Radeon HD5470
    PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
    Well, you lost me there..."switched back to none" basically disables the "Extra" option. I'm not sure why it worked for you, but I'll give it a try.
    When you install necessary drivers for 'Extra' option, i believe it stays in the system even though you select a different option 'None'.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast