Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

For what it's worth, I installed the new updates mentioned by fprintf above and all is right with the world again. I had not been using any custom scripts (as fprintf seemed to indicate s/he did).

Thanks for the heads-up, fprintf! I hope everyone else's luck is as good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the info folks.

Even with the new updades all is still bobbins with my HP Mini though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Unfortunately the updates haven't changed anything for me. Still having this problem with the Thinkpad X31.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hate to say this, but the update that came out yesterday for me screwed my system up again. Again it was a kernel update. So I had about 24 hours of a properly working system!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pjgingras View Post
    Greetings,

I am novice with Linux.

I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a Toshiba Satellite A40 with the same suspend and hibernate problems. Tried the appearance preferences/visual effects workaround, but can't change the option to either Normal or Extra. When I try to do so, first the 'Searching for available drivers...' message is displayed, then the screen flashes a few times and finally, the message 'Desktop effects could not be enabled' is displayed. Any idea on how to fix this?

Is there a way to know whether a fix will come out anytime soon for the suspend/hibernate problem in Ubuntu 10.04?

Thank you,

Philippe
    Good news/bad news. I had the same problem with my Dell D600 laptop, which uses ATI graphics. With Linux, getting the video right can be tricky. There are open source video drivers for the major chip manufacturers, which in the past have been a bit limited. ATI provided proprietary drivers that could be optionally installed via System->Admin->Hardware. That's what I used with the previous release of Ubuntu and everything worked fine. I read somewhere that ATI has shifted focus to support of the open source drivers. When I upgraded to Lucid, the proprietary drivers were still in place, but apparently broken. Nothing showed up in System->Admin->Hardware and the ATI Control Center and ATI Control Center Admin both showed up in System->Preferences. I had the same problems as you when trying to switch to "Extra" or even "Normal" in for screen appearance. When I tried ATI Control Center a message popped up that either there was no video adapter found or the driver was faulty.

I found an Ubuntu help page that provided directions for installing the open source drivers and removing the proprietary drivers. That sort of worked. ATI Control Center and ATI Control Center Admin no longer showed up in System->preferences. I was able to switch appearance to either Normal or Extra. However, the video became garbled in parts of the screen. I ran the update, but still experienced suspend problems. But then again, my suspend problems start with suspend. That is, the system doesn't fully suspend in the first place. I get a black back lit screen with a flashing underline cursor in the upper left.

Check to see if ATI Control Center and ATI Control Center Admin show up in System->Preferences. If so, you have proprietary drivers in place and you probably want to switch to the open source drivers. I forget where it is, but there's an Ubuntu help page with good directions.

So, the good news is there's a solution to not being able to switch to Normal or Extra. The bad news is that it may not fix the suspend problem, anyway.

I'm waiting for the resume-from-suspend to be fixed and then I'll try a fresh install to see if it solves the suspend problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hufemj View Post
    I'm waiting for the resume-from-suspend to be fixed and then I'll try a fresh install to see if it solves the suspend problem.
    Well I'm having the same problem as you: I can't get my system to suspend properly, even after a fresh install, and no matter if I use the open radeon drivers or the closed fglrx drivers. I'm getting roughly the same problem as you: the system doesn't even suspend; it just goes to a blank screen and then hangs. I can't even use the Alt-SysRq trick to reboot from there; I have to hit the reboot button. Afterwards, I have to re-enable networking manually (I'm pretty sure this is because suspend disables networking before suspending, and since it never resumes it never comes back).

Even worse, I can't even get the system to shut down/reboot correctly with the closed drivers. There it hangs during the splash screen. Even so I'm still tempted to keep the closed drivers, as compiz performance really bites using the open drivers (though I guess I should be glad it works at all; it didn't used to).

Oh, and note: I'm not on a laptop, unlike seemingly everyone else on this list. I'm on a desktop:

Processor: Athlon x4 620
    MB: MSI DKA790GX
    Video Card: Radeon 4670
    Last edited by Eyeless Blond; June 5th, 2010 at 10:11 PM.

Beans

I tried everything on the last 8 pages. I can now Suspend and Hibernate. BUT when I resume,

1. There is no mouse cursor.
    2. The screen is very dim.
    3. The network does not reconnect.

The only thing I know to do is reboot, which defeats the purpose of Suspend and Hibernate.

Both Suspend and Hibernate worked much better under 9.10.

Ron Spruell

Unhappy Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Suspending my Dell XPS 1530 used to work perfectly in 9.10 (okay, there would be a 1% chance something might go wrong, but otherwise...)

Now, I can only suspend once. The second time around, it appears that something crashes, as the screen doesn't switch off and I can't wake it up any more.

Someone mentioned that they think it might be the kernel doing it, but I have no idea.

I hope they fix it soon, since I much prefer suspend / resume, to shutting down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fprintf View Post
    I hate to say this, but the update that came out yesterday for me screwed my system up again. Again it was a kernel update. So I had about 24 hours of a properly working system!
    Did you happen to notice which kernel you had when it was working for you?

It didn't work for me on kernel 2.6.32-21 nor on update 2.6.32-22.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Apparently so many different systems have many different issues.

Suspend/hibernate worked fine on my old Athlon64 (2004) desktop with default modules for X1300 video in 64-bit 9.10, but failed in 10.04. Fixed with nomodeset kernel option (apparently does not like the new kernel mode setting driver).

Compaq Presario V2000 with ATI 200M video would not resume from suspend/hibernate at all in 9.10 (dark screen with no backlight), but suspend works perfectly in 10.04. I use nomodeset for it, but not sure if that is essential. Have not tried hibernate because it has other issues attempting to power up. If off for awhile, I have to remove all power (remove battery, disconnect AC) before it can be powered up.

Old Dell Inspiron 8200 w/nVidia NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go] (rev a3) I only had occasionally to fix failed and corrupted Windows hard drive. So I do not recall if suspend/hibernate worked before. But in 10.04 whether using standard drivers or nvidia (96) with or without nomodeset, it starts to go through the motions, backlight goes off for an instant then comes back on with blank screen, and it wakes up in 20 seconds (according to pm-suspend.log) to gui login. Switching to Extra effects and/or then back to None had no effect. At least it does not lock up or crash.

After installing uswsusp and setting things up for nVidia (adding Option "NvAGP" "1" to Device section of xorg.conf and blacklisting intel_agp module), that did not work either, but was enlightening about the 20 second pause before waking. It brought up messages on the 1st console:

end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
    Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0
    Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (1 tasks refusing to freeze):
    udisks-daemon

Then kept occasionally spitting out the I/O errors about the non-existing floppy drive. So maybe I just need to figure out how to have the kernel ignore fd0 which does not exist (unless inserted in a modular bay which is currently DVD).

Update:
    - Commented out fd0 mount in /etc/fstab
    - Added to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf: blacklist floppy
    - Did: sudo update-initramfs -u
    - After reboot, can now successfully suspend/resume from standard Gnome menu
    Last edited by efflandt; June 7th, 2010 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Corrected path to blacklist

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast