Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

Hybrid View

Beans

ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

I have Ubuntu 10.04 installed in my laptop and facing problems with Suspend and Hibernate options, both are not working. Please help me to fix this. For information, I'm dual booting with xp.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: ubuntu 10.04 - Suspend, Hibernate not working

is this a wubi install or not?
    What hardware?
    What happens when you try suspend and when you try hibernate?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    is this a wubi install or not?
    What hardware?
    What happens when you try suspend and when you try hibernate?
    No this is not a wubi install. I got HP pavilion dv9000 with Intel Core2 duo and nVIDIA GEFORCE GO 7600.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i'm not completely sure about this - but i think i read somewhere on ubuntu bug list that if u perform a default install u have to make sure that the SWAP partition is AT LEAST the same size as the total ram on your machine. If the swap is smaller than that hipernate/suspend won't work.

Cheers
    -Taus

Beans

same for me - did an upgrade from Karmic 9.10 where both hibernation and suspend worked fine on Lenovo X61s

Beans

I have a hppavillion dv7 with nvidia geforce 9600 m gt and both suspend and hibernate don't work both on 64bit version and 32bit one. fresh installs for both.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Taus View Post
    i'm not completely sure about this - but i think i read somewhere on ubuntu bug list that if u perform a default install u have to make sure that the SWAP partition is AT LEAST the same size as the total ram on your machine. If the swap is smaller than that hipernate/suspend won't work.

Cheers
    This is true. I had a problem before with the suspend and hibernate, but I had quickly installed Ubuntu allowing it to set my hard drive partitions.. It only gave about 500MB for swap and as a result I couldn't suspend/hibernate. In fact that is the error message that came up.

I reinstalled Ubuntu after fixing my partitions, have the swap a couple GIGS, and now everyone works fine and dandy. I have 8GB swap but that is alot, I think good rule of thumb is RAM = SWAP as mentioned by Taus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Would this SWAP size problem be relevant if you'd upgraded your system? It was working perfectly for me on Karmic, but now suspend just makes the screen freeze black and hibernate puts on the screensaver, AND THEN freezes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerrynmitch View Post
    This is true. I had a problem before with the suspend and hibernate, but I had quickly installed Ubuntu allowing it to set my hard drive partitions.. It only gave about 500MB for swap and as a result I couldn't suspend/hibernate. In fact that is the error message that came up.

I reinstalled Ubuntu after fixing my partitions, have the swap a couple GIGS, and now everyone works fine and dandy. I have 8GB swap but that is alot, I think good rule of thumb is RAM = SWAP as mentioned by Taus.
    Not quite that simple...many of us have swap size much larger than the amount of RAM and still experienced freezes. See other threads in this forum regarding this issue.

Beans

Don't know why this has been marked as solved when there are lots of people still having the same issue...

Anyway I found an old thread which had a solution to this http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2875529

So I tried s2disk from the command line and it worked great, but adding them to that script doesn't seem to work (assumingly Ubuntu decided they wanted to ditch that convention). I later discovered that hitting the hibernate button doesn't seem to touch this script - it seems to execute /sbin/pm-hibernate. So big dirty fix was simply to back up your existing script and point it to s2disk instead:

sudo mv /sbin/pm-hibernate /sbin/pm-hibernate.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2disk /sbin/pm-hibernate

And to do the same for suspend (slightly different as it may require --force for some machines)

echo -e '#!/bin/bash\n/sbin/s2ram --force' > ~/s2ram.sh
    chmod a+x ~/s2ram.sh
    sudo mv ~/s2ram.sh /sbin/
    sudo mv /sbin/pm-suspend /sbin/pm-suspend.bak
    sudo ln -s /sbin/s2ram.sh /sbin/pm-suspend

And magically it works fine. Wish I just did that instead of the None / Extras fix - went and zapped a lot of my cool compiz settings

Anyway just putting it out there in case it's of use to anyone else
    Last edited by snesreviews; May 29th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast