Page 102 of 184 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1839

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

I did some further research and there does seem to be a problem with intel video drivers.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/445056

Mark

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I have noted the loss off the Magic Keys (Alt+SysRq+R+E+I+S+U+B) in the last couple of days but I thought it was just me screwing up my system even further. Very cold comfort that that was not my fault.

Lost the contents of my drive because I couldnt access it after it didn't close properly. Thank you for back-ups!

Was driven back to Karmic when multiple attempts at Maverick would not load video drivers...

Time to take a deep breath, a long drink and then once more into the breach dear friends...
    Last edited by pndragon; September 11th, 2010 at 02:21 AM.
    "It's not the age, it's the mileage."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Bell View Post
    On the first machine, I updated to the Maverick backport kernel (2.6.35-19), and the problems have gone away.
    That machine has been running reliably for several days. Then I installed Chrome earlier today, and the hangcheck problem occured four times in two hours.

I've removed Chrome again, and so far, so good!

My second machine, despite installing the backport kernel, still proves to be unreliable. My next move is to remove Chrome from that machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi all, been a while since I posted. To update, I've been running Xubuntu with the 2.6.32 kernel now for almost three months - and it's been rock-solid. Vanilla Ubuntu on THE SAME exact kernel seems to keel over every hour or so.. I'm baffled by it altogether I suppose....

This might seem off-topic, but has anyone tried the newly released Linux Mint Debian edition?? And if so, what are your thoughts on it? Is it plagued by the same problems as 10.04? Reason for asking is I want to get back onto a Gnome system asap. Apparently it uses kernel version 2.6.35 (like Maverick), I'm led to understand that there are subtle differences between the two, despite sharing versioning numbers. Can anyone share any light on this?

I really don't wanna spend the next two hours downloading LM Debian ISO just to have it go **** up at random for some unknown reason. Don't wanna go down the RPM-distro route, as I prefer Debian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ever since I switched to 2.6.35 my problems have disappeared. Dunno why that fixed it though, also using swatx ppa. amd athlon 2, nvidia 6600gtx, os on ide drive, storage on multiple sata drives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just wanted to report that my system has been fine (no freezes or lockups) ever since downgrading to Linux Mint 8 (Helena, I believe) which is based on Karmic (9.10).

Code:
    19:34:52 up 13 days,  1:39,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.09, 0.11
    Has anyone tried their luck with the 10.10 beta that was released recently?

Beans

Zero problems with freezes in 10.04 for a month or more since I installed it until today, I swapped the old single core CPU (AMD64 venice core socket 939) for a dual core AMD64 3800, and now it freezes every 5 minutes or so.

I have noted a lot of people mentioning AMD dual-core chips in this thread and another, it's very obviously the problem in mine, I am running a dual boot like another poster mentioned, and the Windows xp runs great even when stressed with multiple heavy apps running, so I know it's got to be in the software, and in my case is related to multi-core processors.

I agree it may be multiple bugs, hard to track stuff like that down. I'll post results if any listed fixes work for me.

Beans
    Distro

Iam not sure but may be timidity++ package has something to do with this freeze,coz i have enabled textual login and shutdown and whenever freeze occurred,a console window appeared,spewing out timidity++ errors for 1-2 seconds,and then screen went black with no response from mouse/keyboard..

Vote for my Idea
    ~~~Open-source Software and Patience go hand in hand~~~

Beans
    Distro

@garth.d: I'm typing this from LM 9 Debian edition runnin on my eee 1005p netbook, but this machine hasn't had any freezing problems whatsoever even with 10.04.

I'll try 10.10beta1 next on the crashy amd machine that now runs LM 8 (stable for over a fortnight now) and then report back.

As for xfce, I've tried that too on the amd machine and it still crashed (same for kde, lxde and even a bare-bones icewm environment).

All the best, Uwe

Beans

There are threads all over the place about this bug(s), in my case, I tried every listed fix in this thread and more, one after the other, and nothing worked, cumulatively they rendered my machine into a hopeless state of unuseabilty, so I killed it. Windows still working better than ever on this machine, so upgrading my chip to a dual core gave a performance boost to windows, and destroyed a previously stable Ubuntu 10.04 install. Not good Ubuntu. And i'm starting to find a LOT of people with multi-core processors having the same problem, and it doesn't look like anyone is addressing this issue specifically other than forum members frantically trying to fix their broken machine.

I guess you get what you pay for, thanks for the free trial Ubuntu, it was cool while it lasted.

Just FYI, Puppy Linux works PERFECTLY on both my multi-core machines, devs might want to contact Barry Kauler for some tips on making a simple, stable Linux OS.

Page 102 of 184 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast