Page 12 of 184 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

i met the same problem today ,have you figured it out?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, just started to experience a slow down and KDE warned me that kwin was slow and compositing would be disabled so I suspect that at least in my case I may have some new avenues to explore.

This is the first time I have been actively doing something when the machine acted up, usually I would return my attention after a moment of cat time or wife time or ___ time and find that my machine had locked up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lkrory21 View Post
    6..Xsessions-error file is still flooded with "XID Collision" about Firefox. It has grown to 2.4MB in size!!!
    This error disappeared when I changed my screensaver to "Pictures folder", although other settings probably work. It does not cure the freezing problem, but it keeps the .xsession-errors under control.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

<UPDATE #2>
    My system went into this "locked" state again last night. It is sitting again on the screensaver and there are random blocks in the image. (Sorry I can't be more descriptive.)

This time I didn't get any Iced Tea warnings. In fact when I remoted into the machine through ssh, the only thing on my .xsession-errors file was this:

** (gnome-control-center:1926): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load gtk-theme-selector.desktop

** (gnome-control-center:1926): WARNING **: get_actions_list() - PROBLEM - Can't load gnome-cups-manager.desktop

Discarding: 1 over 2

** (gnome-control-center:1926): WARNING **:
    error raised: [libslab_get_gconf_value: error getting /desktop/gnome/applications/main-menu/lock-down/user_modifiable_apps]

** (gnome-control-center:1926): WARNING **:
    error raised: [load_xbel_store: couldn't load bookmark file [NULL]
    I listed the /var/log/messages file and see only a message about the cryptofs - my home folder is encrypted.

May 17 05:31:56 kai-laptop kernel: [25674.864659] Either the lower file is not in a valid eCryptfs format, or the key could not be retrieved. Plaintext passthrough mode is not enabled; returning -EIO
    HTH!
    kai
    The Content Management and Workflow Forum: http://www.ecmplace.com
    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the keyboard/mouse freeze problem too! But not random, it's pretty much instant.

As a newcomer to Linux I added a comment to bug report number 577671 as it matches my problem right down to the mobo and how quickly it happens.

I have since added another comment, the gist being that booting with the noapic parameter gets rid of the instant freezes for me. Not great, but at least it then let me install and gave stability to try and debug things.

My further researches led me to you, and I am glad to have found such a lively discussion.

If I boot without noapic, then my freeze happens as the login invitation appears, or if I get past that then as soon as I touch the keyboard to enter my password I get what looks like a "stuck key" and then it all freezes. Only rarely do I get to the desktop before it then freezes at first use of keyboard. The only way out is the power off button on my system.

The details are in 577671. I can run live off an old 8.04 CD on the same system, and Windows XP I am dual booting with is just fine. Have switched keyboards and mice, fiddled with BIOS settings, all to no avail.

This is maddening for a beginner. I've trawled the system logs looking for anything untoward but my inexperienced eye has found nothing of much interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by Doki View Post
    Hello,

I had a flash last night... One word appeared in my head: "acpi" ...
    So before I went to sleep, I restarted the box with "noacpi" option and this morning: Tadaaam! My computer was still awake and responding !

For those who may may be interested in this solution:

Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    Then find a block looking like this:

Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, avec Linux 2.6.32-22-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 29cfded9-471e-4a5c-82a5-ee7e7dd36c74
        linux    /vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=d62c5cde-26f6-486d-8efc-f9fcd7520493 ro    quiet splash
        initrd    /initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    And add "noacpi" like this :

Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, avec Linux 2.6.32-22-generic' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 29cfded9-471e-4a5c-82a5-ee7e7dd36c74
        linux    /vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-generic root=UUID=d62c5cde-26f6-486d-8efc-f9fcd7520493 ro noacpi   quiet splash
        initrd    /initrd.img-2.6.32-22-generic
    save close, and restart.

There is a way to enable the option so it will persist at next kernel update, but since I never had any troubles with acpi before on this machine, I guess this is just bug linked to this kernel version (2.6.32-22-generic) so it should be fixed with next one...

I hope it will help some of you around here to fix this freezing issue.

Bye
    I just tried this. After having a good day on Sunday, where the machine barely locked up at all, it has been locking up all day and worse than ever.

Also, the problem keeps getting weirder. Sometimes when I turn it on, I get WICD asking me for a password for my network connection, which it's not set up to ask for. For one thing, it's a wired connection. And the shutdown button on the gnome panel is grayed out when this happens. When I reboot, sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't.

I have to go out of town for a week and will be using my Jolicloud netbook. Hopefully, when I get back, we'll have a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I took a look at bug report #577671 and it is specific to incidents occurring with the Asus p4s800 motherboard. This is not my motherboard, yet I am having the same issues with 10.04 freezing and requiring a hard reboot that many seem to be reporting. I searched through the Ubuntu forums and found 8 separate threads concerning 10.04 installs freezing on various desktop and laptop computers.

Does anyone know of an active bug report that is attempting to deal with this freezing issue in 10.04 community wide and not specific to a particular hardware configuration? If so can you please reply with the number of that bug report? I'd like to track it. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I hadn't seen those XID collision errors previously. I have them now.

I've disabled ACPI as in a previous message. The system has now been up for only a few minutes.

(gnome-terminal:179: Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_accel_map_unlock_path: assertion `en
    try != NULL && entry->lock_count > 0' failed
    FoxyProxy settingsDir: /home/kai/.mozilla/firefox/hnuxree5.default/foxyproxy.xml
    Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a ti
    mestamp of 0 for 0x3a00084 (Slashdot C)
    Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestam
    p; the pager needs to be fixed.

(firefox-bin:1816): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

(firefox-bin:1816): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead
    deliver mode: 0
    ...and as I typed this, it went into the screen saver and locked right up.

I was able to connect via ssh. I did try to connect via VNC. I had no luck.

I got a message in the .xsession-errors file relating to it...

17/05/2010 01:00:25 PM [IPv6] Got connection from client vista
    17/05/2010 01:00:25 PM other clients:

Next, I'm getting rid of the screensaver.
    kai
    The Content Management and Workflow Forum: http://www.ecmplace.com
    a turn signal is a statement, not a request

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

here i am too.
    i don't know if the problem is related to keyboard/mouse or to ubuntu (ubuntustudio 10.04 64 bit preemp kernel, installed today).
    random freeze happens and i've noticed as well my keyboard and mouse going mad twice (once like hitting lots of keys together and once like mouse buttons clicked rapidly).
    i've changed logitech wireless keyboard/mouse to trust wired keyboard/mouse from an old pc and it seems to work without ay issue.
    i'm not sure the problem comes from keyboard/mouse as they always used to work with no issue with ubuntustudio 9.10 (yesterday too!)

Lennoxville, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, Sol System
    Beans

I've had this happen a couple times to me, the latest time apparently scrambling superblock or something on the boot drive..

I dont know what mobo I'm using, or which graphics card (machine given to me, but it's an AthlonXP 1800+ with some ATI Radeon card using stock drivers),but it's setup with 1.7G of RAM, and an old 8G western digital hard drive (/home accessed through NFS).

When my machine gets super-laggy the hard drive is grinding like mad, as though the swap is being hit very hard. The screen saver is set to blank, and the activates after 10min. The monitor also shuts off after 10min. Every time the machine has locked, it has been when left alone for several hours (4 to 8 hours). Apps running are generally Firefox, Chrome, Empathy, maybe Gwibber and VLC. Maybe a memory leak somewhere, causing it to hit the swap?

My other 2 machines running 10.04 have NOT done this. One is a 1ghz Celeron machine with 512M of RAM and an Intel video card. It boots off the livecd (no hard drive) and will run fine forever so far. The same with my server, running 10.04 server edition. AMD64 system w/1G RAM, and no video card installed.

Now to reinstall, since fsck won't even touch the filesystem

Page 12 of 184 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast