Page 2 of 184 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Same problem here.
    Is everyone here using the proprietary Graphics driver or the open source one?
    Also strange is that for me its only happening in Gnome & not KDE.
    Could anyone else confirm this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Clean install of 10.04, and random freezes of mouse and keyboard without any pattern at all. Sometimes it is the mouse, and sometimes it is the keyboard, but never at same time. There also doesn't seem to be any time pattern. I'll go a day or two and then one or other other will freeze. Or it will happen within 10 minutes of each other. The mouse seems to freeze more often, for what that is worth.

I'm using a wireless keyboard/mouse, and this happened with both Logitech and Microsoft products. I have compiz on the normal setting, and I'm running the OpenJava that came with 10.04. The freezes also happen when I don't have Firefox open, so I'm not sure Flash is an issue.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm having a similar problem (mouse freeze) on a fresh install of 10.04 on a new ASroack ION 330 HT. I'm using a Logitech S 520 wireless keyboard & mouse. The keyboard works great, so I have to use the Gnome keyboard shortcuts to do any thing after the mouse freezes. Sometimes it will be frozen at the login screen, other times it will work fine for hours, then the behavior will start to deteriorate: buttons slow to respond (or unresponsive), jerky cursor motion, then the freeze. It's driving me nuts!!Go ogling this for the last week with no joy. I've been using linux since day one, normally debian, so I'm not a neophyte, but as others have posted, nothing stands out in the various logs. It seems as if quite a few users are experiencing this problem. Any ideas here?

Beans

There was a thread suggesting that
    the ubuntuone-syncdaemon process is responsible.

If you kill the process, it may help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@frncz Thanx a lot for your input although personally I don't use Ubuntuone so I don't think it's the case for my system at least.

Anyway, I re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 today from scratch using the cd and after 5 hours of continuously running it did crash again just a while ago. The symptoms identical to the ones on my first post. The screen was frozen, mouse / keyboard totally unresponsive (not even the keyboard lights caps lock, num lock were blinking, nothing!). One weird thing I noticed as I was listening to music with the Exaile at the time is that as the system froze / hang-up the music didn't fall into a loop or stuttered continuously as it would do in a "normal" crash, it just cut off!

Again absolutely no messages in system logs + and the xsession.errors had the usual errors (see again my first post) + of course as always literally flooded with this msg as I was using Firefox:

(firefox-bin:2999): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

Well I would say that this is really really frustrating!

Seriously noone has the faintest idea what else could be responsible or point me to some other direction?

Thanx a lot in advance for any help anyone could provide. I really don't want to go back to Karmic but I'm running out of choices here!

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro

Since making my earlier post, I've had the keyboard freeze twice and the mouse freeze once. Go figure.

I have uninstalled the proprietary Nvidia accelerated graphics driver that I installed after my clean install. I don't use Ubuntu One either (but I uninstalled it, anyway). Oddly, lkrory21, I use Exaile, and thought about that (Banshee used to freeze on 9.04 all the time). But Exaile wasn't running the last time I had a freeze.

I'm guessing it's a software conflict or the graphics driver.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lkrory21 View Post
    @frncz Thanx a lot for your input although personally I don't use Ubuntuone so I don't think it's the case for my system at least.
    Are you sure ubuntuone is not loaded automatically, whether you use it or not? It seems to be loaded by default in 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And again it crashed after just one hour of browsing mainly the ubuntu forums for solutions and watching 1 video in Youtube.

I can also verify that system hangs completely as soft reboot
    (alt + SysRq + REISUB) is not available. Again no apparent reason and no way to replicate the freeze (it's just happens at some time), system logs showing nothing and the usual errors in xsession-errors file as above. I 'm starting to worry that I might crash my hard drive with all those hard reboots.

@frncz How can I check if it is running and how can I remove it completely?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Also strange is that for me its only happening in Gnome & not KDE.
    Could anyone else confirm this?
    No! I just did a clean install of Kubuntu 10.04 and it did the same freeze in just 10 min after it started and while I was just seeing the menus / apps / etc (I never used KDE before)

So it must be something on kernel I guess?

I am going back to normal Ubuntu (another clean install, the third today!) and wait for any solution to come up or at least a hint by someone (anyone!) on what else I can check!

After 5 years of happy Ubuntu using, this is the first time I am really really disappointed. Maybe Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was rushed and not checked thoroughly as usual. What can I say?

Beans
    Distro

I'm now getting keyboard freezing pretty consistently every 10 or 15 minutes. So it's not the Nvidia driver. It has never been this bad.

A couple of questions -- is anyone else running Gnome-Do? I had some problems with it locking 10.04 up when I tried to run it at startup. I have also switched to Chrome from Firefox to see if that makes a difference.

It does now look like it's the kernel, doesn't it?

Page 2 of 184 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast