Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Someone has filed a bug report, and this apparently has been going on for several versions of Ubuntu (though I didn't have the problem with 9.04).

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/577183

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by frncz View Post
    There was a thread suggesting that
    the ubuntuone-syncdaemon process is responsible.

If you kill the process, it may help
    I went one step further and removed all Ubuntu One related packages. Guess what?

No more crashes !!!!

At least for the past 6 hours.
    knock on wood ....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by frncz View Post
    There was a thread suggesting that
    the ubuntuone-syncdaemon process is responsible.

If you kill the process, it may help
    Been on for about 6 hours without a problem. I will post a message here as soon as it happens again (I hope murphy's law doesn't kick in right about now). I will keep the computer running non stop for the next few days to see if it really works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the last few hours I 'm back on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) - clean install and until now I didn't experience any of those random freezes / system hangups. I will leave it on for many hours just to see if this will happen... (fingers crossed it won't).

But if no random crash / freeze / hangup happen we can definitely rule out hardware malfunction at least in my case.

One thing I can verify is there isn't any errors in the .xsession-errors file of this kind in Ubuntu 9.10 (at least on my system):

...Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead

While I was using 10.04 (sort of speak ) whenever I used Chrome and -especially- Firefox the .xsession-errors file was flooding with these messages. One user some posts above also reported messages of this kind while using Opera...

Weird, isn't it?

It is also interesting that at least three users (edantes, rueben and frncz) suggested that removing everything that has to do with Ubuntuone and/or killing the ubuntuone daemon could be also the trick. Let's see how this will go as the first two are planning of leaving also their pc's on for quite some time in order to see if this is a valid solution.

Cheers!
    Last edited by lkrory21; May 12th, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

well, just had a freeze. the problem is, the xsession-errors isn't really helping since it fails to document the reason at the point of the crash.plus, xsession-errors doesn't have a timestamp.anyways edantes, frncz can you guys let us know if you had a freeze as well?

cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lkrory21 View Post
    @frncz How can I check if it is running and how can I remove it completely?

Cheers!
    If you go to System -> Administration -> System Monitor, click on Processes and scroll down to ubuntu, you may see one or two processes with the word ubuntuone in them.
    I you highlight these and right click, you will have several options, including, Stop, End or Kill the processes. I expect any of these will do, but not doubt Kill will be the most radical.

However, this may not be the answer as reported by rueben

My own freezes are quite rare, and usually happen when the children are using the computer, so I may have to do some more detective work.

Regards

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Have the same thing happen to me, didn't think to check logs, but every time I've been importing a CD (the same one, DRMed) in banshee and rythmbox, after system hung had to hard reboot out and then X crashes while loading desktop, after login I'm using 10.04 upgraded from 9.10 which was clean installed on Dell Inspiron 1100, when X crashes I have to reboot the computer through <CTRL>+<ALT>+<DEL> several times before will load properly. Also I am trying to UbuntuOne (with varying degrees of success). Figured it was the Intel graphics but starting to think not, because now has failed to load desktop without crashing first, and last night crashed without failing to load desktop afterwards.

--------------
    NewUser01
    Last edited by NewUser01; May 13th, 2010 at 01:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by rueben View Post
    well, just had a freeze. the problem is, the xsession-errors isn't really helping since it fails to document the reason at the point of the crash.plus, xsession-errors doesn't have a timestamp.anyways edantes, frncz can you guys let us know if you had a freeze as well?

cheers!
    I was looking at a couple of other problems at the same time. At one point it looked like mplayer needed the bluetooth service on. I had already stopped some unused services. After I brought bluetooth back, the system froze soon after. Remove it again and system seems on the clear.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by winecurmudgeon View Post
    I'm now getting keyboard freezing pretty consistently every 10 or 15 minutes. So it's not the Nvidia driver. It has never been this bad.

A couple of questions -- is anyone else running Gnome-Do? I had some problems with it locking 10.04 up when I tried to run it at startup. I have also switched to Chrome from Firefox to see if that makes a difference.

It does now look like it's the kernel, doesn't it?
    I'm having the freeze issues, and I'm not running gnome-do..
    I am however running the Nvidia driver.

Beans

Running a fresh install with Nvidia drivers. I don't get crashes or freezes but I have noticed xorg gets a bit lagy after running for several hours. I only notice the lag when I play videos in Totem or listen to music in Rhythmbox. The audio is more noticeable then the video. It sounds like I have heavy CPU load which I don't. The only way to make it stop for a while is to kill xorg then log back in. I would like a solution a little more permanent.

Page 3 of 184 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast