Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Hello again everybody and thanx for your valuable input.

Some observations since I reverted back to Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic)

1.10 hours of uptime til now and counting (although my 10.04 system did manage not to lock-up / freeze for almost 24hrs at one time). But still a good sign.

2.Still no "...Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead" from firefox in .xsession-errors file although I visited heavy flash websites, watched youtube clips, etc.

3.This message also does not appear in the same file:

"** (update-notifier:1457): DEBUG: Skipping reboot required"

(it was always presen on 10.04 .xsession-errors file)

4.On the other hand the "polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:1321" warning/error (see #2 in my original post) is indeed present so it's definitely not the culprit.

5.The .xsession-errors file stays small (less that 10 KBs as we speak) in contrast with Ubuntu 10.04 which could grow to 512KB or more, again because it was flooded the 'XID Collision' messages

I will leave the PC on for the rest of the day to see how it goes and to definitely rule out (at least in my case) the hardware failure. Although I'm pretty sure that's not the case as I was happily using Karmic since day one with no problems of this kind until last week when I installed Lucid (again see my original post and subsequent ones for more info).

So it must be something regarding 2 or 3 or a strange combination of both maybe?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by lkrory21; May 13th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, it's offical -- it's a bug -- https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/577183

Beans

Exclamation Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

That bug is about mouse and keyboard lags freeze but this freezes and lags are system wide ... and i didn`t have this sort of problem in karmic.. this is almost unusable

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have to agree with Valentiv. My system's symptoms are also system wide hang-up (not just keyboard / mouse lag), it becomes totally unresponsive and only hard reboot is available as option but who knows, maybe the bug is different among different hardware and, if you remember from my original post, my PC is 5 years old. So I will follow this bug anyway...

Still, my guess is the it has to do with the new kernels plus something with Firefox (or Chrome) and/or Flash. But since no revelant messages were recorded in Lucid system logs in my system, I cannot really back it up. Only the .xsession-errors file is indicative that something is definitely wrong and especially with Firefox and Chrome (a user few posts above also mentioned Opera) and those pesky countless 'XID collision, trouble ahead' warnings

I have now over 16 hours of uptime since I reverted back to Karmic Koala and still not the warnings on .xsession-errors files I experienced on Lucid Lynx...

Weird, isn't it?

I also noticed this in the bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/577183)

If I start Ubuntu 10.04 in recovery mode and use "gdm" to get to the login screen, freezing does not appear.
    Anyone tried this? Do this really work?
    Last edited by lkrory21; May 13th, 2010 at 01:45 PM.

Beans

I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 and am having the same problem.
    I'm using the closed source nvidia drivers.

I've got a Q6600 processor, 4GB of RAM, a 64 bit version of the OS and a Nvidia 8800 GTS video card installed.

Let me know if there's any other info that I should provide.

The lockups happen sporadically -- maybe once or even twice a day (tops). Usually it happens when I'm either away from the machine or have the KVM switch set to a different machine.

Once the lockup happens, I can't SSH in or anything. The image of whatever I was doing remains fixed on the screen.

I should also mention that I'm using KDE and most of my browsing is done through Firefox.
    Last edited by peltoneb; May 13th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think it's the kernel too. Sometimes I get a freeze even when I'm not using a browser. Do any of you guys use wifi? Because I've read in the german forum that a guy is able to reproduce the freeze with the wifi switched on. I'll try doing that (switching off wifi) later and report back tomorrow.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Been having the PC freeze on me like all the other folks. Some pointers -
    1) This is a clean install, updated as of this morning.
    2) If I stay in the console (ctl-alt-F2), the PC does not freeze. I can install packages (nfs, ntfsprogs and a variety of others), and do all kinds of stuff from the command line, no problems, no freeze.
    3) If I do not log into the Gnome-session, the PC does not freeze. The log in screen can be active for half hour or longer. The mouse works, the keyboard works.
    4) If I do log in, and do nothing, the PC does not freeze. Within minutes (usually less than 5) of starting any application - Firefox, System Monitor, you name it - bang, the keyboard and mouse go into a coma.
    5) Even when the keyboard and mouse are frozen, the PC responds to pings - and pretty quickly, too.
    6) If I start an X-session from another PC in the local network, that session does not freeze - at least for the length of time I have been checking. The only weird thing is the window frame - it shows random patterns instead of a nice solid color.
    What I do know is, it's not hardware. Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 8.04 LTS keep working for hours.
    If an expert reads this, will she (or he, I don't care!) please tell me what I should dump and send? Or at least pray for my PC?

Beans

If I set everything in the Power Management to "Never", I do not experience any freezes. As soon as I turn on the power management, I experience random freezes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@rueben My PC is a 5yr old desktop with no Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth adapter on so these as causes do not apply to my case at least.

@dnguyen1963 It was set on 'Never' on my PC but still it hang-up.

@aphatak Interesting points on #5 and possibly #6. Can anyone else verify this? One question: does the .xsession-errors file is flooded with the messages described above (see my original post and subsequent ones)?

On another note, My PC is up for almost 20hrs, no crashes/freezes/hang-ups whatsoever since I went back to Karmic. So it's not hardware failure - definitely.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oops! Not sure about my point #6 (remote x-session) any more. This time when I tries starting a remote X-session after the PC froze, I did not get the session going. The ping works, though. Will try later in the day and see if anything changes - or I stumble across something new.

Page 4 of 184 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast