Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't get past login screen in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can't get past login screen in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

Just noticed that the interface I have now is a little different: no power symbol in the top corner nor the social icon with my username displayed. Also the networking icon is in the top corner rather than to the far left.

Presumably something reverted to a slightly older version? I'm running Gnome 2.30.0 if that helps.
    Any ideas on how I can get this back to the default Ubuntu 10.04 design?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, Evolution might have gone a little deeper. If things aren't the way you like them, try doing a full removal/reinstall of gdm. First log out, then go the the console again (Ctrl-Alt-F2):
    Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    sudo apt-get remove gdm
    sudo apt-get install gdm
    Additionally try to install these, as there are cases where they didn't install correctly with the reinstallation of gdm:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    sudo apt-get install indicator-applet-session
    sudo service gdm start
    Now this might automatically switch you back to the GUI, but if not just hit 'Ctrl-Alt-F8' to switch to it, and try it again.
    linuxcommand.org -- AWESOME for people new to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Is there any danger this will mess things up further?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm not a Grandmaster of Ubuntu (tm) but basically all this is doing is removing all of the packages that come with gdm then putting them back on like it would be from a base-install. It doesn't remove any configuration files you have in place or anything like that, only the packages (which are immediately restored). This is helpful because it allows you to start fresh with your whole display manager since the removal of Evolution might have uninstalled little unknown pieces that break it.
    linuxcommand.org -- AWESOME for people new to linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That seems to have sorted things once and for all. Thanks again, now hopefully I can get to enjoy and learn about Ubuntu without being plagued by problems!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by beckols View Post
    OK, I think I might have just hit the answer. Apparently uninstalling Evolution can uninstall gnome-session. So before any of that other gobbledegook, go ahead and do this:
    Code:
    Then try logging in again.
    Beckols,

Thanks for the suggestion on how to fix the endless loop at gdm login. I removed everything that contained Evolution using Synaptic Package Manager and it trashed gnome-session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by beckols View Post
    OK, I think I might have just hit the answer. Apparently uninstalling Evolution can uninstall gnome-session. So before any of that other gobbledegook, go ahead and do this:
    Code:
    Then try logging in again.
    Thanks!

Beans

Question Re: Can't get past login screen in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.

Hi all!! I am experiencing the GDM logon loop issue, but mine arose with i think the 255.44 nvidia driver.. but i'm not sure.. My reason for wanting the latest nvidia driver was for better offloading of video playback. the youtube is 60-80% cpu on athlon64/3200 with 2.5gb memory on latest flash.

this driver is from the https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat group as the mainline ubuntu and backports repos arent current.

I have removed the 256.44 line from with --purge and reverted to nouveau (foss driver), lucid-updates nvidia-current, and 173 driver...

i have downgraded from lucid-updates gdm to lucid gdm with purge..

I have made gdm the owner of /var/lib/gdm and etc/gdm

gnome-session has been reinstalled with --purge..

I have compared /var/log/gdm to another lucid machine's /var/log/gdm and can't find anythin different between them.

As of now the only way to have a fully graphical logon with any video driver is with kdm. I also can ctl-alt-f1, logon to any account, stop kdm as root, and run startx.. that works too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This thread saved my bacon. I was having almost exactly the problem described by the thread starter. Chief difference: I don't run Ubuntu through Wubi, but rather have a triple-boot configuration (Windows XP + Ubuntus 9.10 and 10.04).

I never messed with Evolution, but it seems that my gdm-session install must have been trashed, because the steps suggested here fixed the problem.

It's unsettling when stuff breaks for no apparent reason. I still haven't a clue how mine got broken. My 10.04 install is fixed now, but boy am I glad I kept my Ubuntu 9.10 install.
    Last edited by Objekt; September 30th, 2010 at 01:18 PM.
    Acer Swift 3 (SF314-42-R7LH)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you thank you beckols. You may not be a "Grandmaster" but you saved my bacon with this solution

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast